Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The getting ahead of ourselves excuse is a common theme for us i think. Hearing Lachie Neale say that is a pretty clear indication our team lacks a real ruthless edge. Many supporters say we never seem to really finish of games. We always leave them open. I'd agree with that thought and suggest it's more evidence of our team lacking that ruthless competitiveness.

Makes me think at best we'll win one premiership with this cohort. One premiership would be amazing don't get me wrong. But it'd arguably an under achievement with the talent we have.

Also, I‘m a big fan of Lachie as a player but i do think Harris should be our sole captain. He's more likely to do inspirational things for the team and just exudes more leadership traits imo. Just to add more of a whack at his leadership(😛), I'd argue Lachie has a poor strike rate for performing at his best in the finals. Could be wrong, but just a perception I have of him.
neale has had a fair few blinder finals for us (EF 2022, SF 2022, QF 2021 come to mind). one absolute stinker in 2022 PF but was hardly the only one that night and was pretty clearly being held at stoppage all game. had a decent, but not amazing finals series last year. i think on balance i would say he performs slightly above his usual standard in finals.

neale has had a fair few blinder finals for us (EF 2022, SF 2022, QF 2021 come to mind). one absolute stinker in 2022 PF but was hardly the only one that night and was pretty clearly being held at stoppage all game. had a decent, but not amazing finals series last year. i think on balance i would say he performs slightly above his usual standard in finals.
Totally agree. My perception is he's been very good in quite a few finals.

Maybe I'm just thinking PF's and the GF... just checked his basic disposals for those games:

23GF - 23 disposals
23PF - 21 disposals
22PF - 20 disposals
20PF - 24 disposals

I'd argue in the Lions four biggest games since he's been with us, he's under performed in all of them... think the stats back up my point tbh.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm just thinking PF's and the GF... just checked his basic disposals for those games:

24GF - 23 disposals
24PF - 21 disposals
23PF - 20 disposals
20PF - 24 disposals

I'd argue in the Lions four biggest games since he's been with us, he's under performed in all of them... think the stats back up my point tbh.
Big question I have is did we win the 2024 premiership even though Neale had 23 disposals :winkv1:

episode 2 winner GIF by Archie Comics

24GF - 23 disposals
24PF - 21 disposals
23PF - 20 disposals
20PF - 24 disposals

We know last year he was hindered with a groin issue Dom. I still think he performed well enough in those games but he gets targeted fairly heavily in big games and it's more the issue that we haven't had someone else take up the slack and give the opposition someone else to worry about. I presume you're talking '23 ,'22, '20

It's a problem when you have a high bar that expectations are high. He has recorded the most possessions ever in a final against Melbourne was it not ?

It's a problem when you have a high bar that expectations are high. He has recorded the most possessions ever in a final against Melbourne was it not ?
Yeah it was that 46 possession game he had in the 2021 QF against Melbourne over here in Adelaide.

Teams know now that if they go hard at Lachie he does tend to fold.
In big finals you are always going to get attention, he needs to learn how to handle the attention and work his way through it.
This weekend will be another prime example.
No doubt Freo will send someone to rough him up.
They sent Young to him last year and Young had 29 disposals, 15 contested, 10 marks and 413m gained. He's had a year of footy as a mf since that.
Fir ref, Lachie had 25 touches , 11 contested, 6 tackles , 273m gained

SEN listed the top tackle bust players in the game in 2023, Rayner 2nd, they didn't mention how many 3 of them busted just their position in the top 6 >

Jai Newcombe 44
Cam Rayner ??
Jason Horne-Francis 41
Chad Warner ??
James Worpel ??
Christian Petracca 33

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer is...

They are the only players to have played in both AFL and NEAFL premiership teams.

Now, wasn't that worth the wait?
Fun fact: only the non-Lions winners have their NEAFL premiership on their Wikipedia page.

Rayner could and should be that type but won’t be. Very disheartening that a guy like Rowell at Gold Coast who is younger is doing all these things and more that Cam could only ever dream.
The year before we drafted Cam we took Cedric Cox when Shai Bolton, Sean Darcy and Nick Larkey were all still available. We would’ve won the GF last year with Darcy playing instead of the Big O. Our team has also made a lot of excellent picks over the years as well. You win some and lose some.
I think Cams value off the field goes a good way to making up for what his current output is on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back