Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Overwhelming flag favourites according to the media in the predictions they’ve put out this week.

I’d have Collingwood favourites due to the GF being at the MCG

Damn them for losing by more than us. We stay favorites.

Reality is that playing last year's top dogs in round one is an all or nothing fantastic opportunity for non gf teams to create a buzz.

Also Carlton are good, expect them to be front runners.

Damn them for losing by more than us. We stay favorites.

Reality is that playing last year's top dogs in round one is an all or nothing fantastic opportunity for non gf teams to create a buzz.

Also Carlton are good, expect them to be front runners.

Yep we played a 2023 top 4 side for the first game of 2024. Led them by 46 points in the 2nd. Disappointing to let that lead slip, but Carlton certainly aren't a bottom 10 side. We'll improve. Onwards & upwards.

Yep we played a 2023 top 4 side for the first game of 2024. Led them by 46 points in the 2nd. Disappointing to let that lead slip, but Carlton certainly aren't a bottom 10 side. We'll improve. Onwards & upwards.
I think there'd be less gnashing of teeth if the Blues just let us get out to a couple of goals and then we lost by one, which is somewhat funny.

I think there'd be less gnashing of teeth if the Blues just let us get out to a couple of goals and then we lost by one, which is somewhat funny.

Tbh I don't think we lose the game if the scores were close for most of the game. The big issue really seems to me: we got off to a great start. 46 point lead. Kiddy goes down with a suspected ACL and the players no doubt either consciously or subconsciously go into preservation mode. The problem was, they did so to an extreme level and got absolutely belted in the third.

Vossy was just toying with us. Cruel bastard. He had a button on his desk the whole time. He waited until we got to 46 points up & then pressed it. I wish we had a game day coach like Vossy.......

Vossy was just toying with us. Cruel bastard. He had a button on his desk the whole time. He waited until we got to 46 points up & then pressed it. I wish we had a game day coach like Vossy.......
I reckon if he was still on our payroll we would've subbed him on in the third quarter.

When they called G Ablett Snr 'God' they had the wrong guy.

I reckon if he was still on our payroll we would've subbed him on in the third quarter.

Funnily enough martinson I reckon it's just that type of player we are lacking. Mind you they don't grow on trees, they're rare as rocking horse s**t. But a player when the ship needs to be righted can do it. A Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley, Hodge, Selwood type (I liked Hird but don't think he was like that).

To be fair, Gary Ablett Snr would be hands down the best footballer I have seen in my lifetime. I'm only 47 tho.

My dad grew up as a Bulldogs supporter & actually went to Essendon games just to see John Coleman play. He must have been half decent too lol.

Funnily enough martinson I reckon it's just that type of player we are lacking. Mind you they don't grow on trees, they're rare as rocking horse s**t. But a player when the ship needs to be righted can do it. A Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley, Hodge, Selwood type (I liked Hird but don't think he was like that).
Rayner could and should be that type but won’t be. Very disheartening that a guy like Rowell at Gold Coast who is younger is doing all these things and more that Cam could only ever dream.

Rayner could and should be that type but won’t be. Very disheartening that a guy like Rowell at Gold Coast who is younger is doing all these things and more that Cam could only ever dream.
The 2 guys playing now that immediately sprung to mind in that mould were as McIvor said Matt Rowell.... and Tom Green.

Our closest guy to that would be Josh Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two different types of players, but Rowell has a far greater impact than Rayner does on the field.

Rowell, if he can stay on the park, is right up there with Lachie Neale.
I could never imagine Rowell frowning when the tag is on, just mentally focussed , no fuss work horse , would just fight through it.
Lachie better skills, just seems to struggle with the tag or rough stuff.
I think Dev is up to the rough stuff, but is he capable of learning midfield craft anywhere close to Rowell and Lachie ?
We are missing Ashcroft big time , this , hoping he can work into the season.
We really need someone else than Lachie to dominate , he needs help.

I could never imagine Rowell frowning when the tag is on, just mentally focussed , no fuss work horse , would just fight through it.
Lachie better skills, just seems to struggle with the tag or rough stuff.
I think Dev is up to the rough stuff, but is he capable of learning midfield craft anywhere close to Rowell and Lachie ?
We are missing Ashcroft big time , this , hoping he can work into the season.
We really need someone else than Lachie to dominate , he needs help.
Surely that is why we bought in Josh Dunkley, is he living up to the hopes we had for him?

Two different types of players, but Rowell has a far greater impact than Rayner does on the field.

Rowell, if he can stay on the park, is right up there with Lachie Neale.
Precisely; Rowell stays in and actually impacts games whereas Rayner, even after 100 games only drifts in and out of games without barely any consistency.

Surely that is why we bought in Josh Dunkley, is he living up to the hopes we had for him?
I thought Dunkley had a great first half of season 2023 but he seemed to drop off a lot later in the year, and his grand final was underwhelming. His effort in the second and third quarters last Friday was beyond disappointing,he seemed to disappear from the contest altogether. Not sure what was happening there.

Unfortunately, Dunkley has been given those run with roles like Cripps on Friday.
So, he does not really have a big attacking impact during games.
That's fine when you have Ashcroft playing and McCluggage getting more midfield time with Bailey, Zorko chiming in as more attacking midfielders.
Lyons may have played to ease Neals TOG but that did not help our run either.

Josh goes alright, but not relentless.
Good point by section 5 , that makes sense , most likely being more accountable making the tag.
I'm hoping Dev will add some bite here.
Just might be a better mix with him in there.

Yes. 4th in the B&F. Vice captain. Made us a significantly better team defensively

Remember when one of our main concerns were opposition big bodied midfielders having 30 touches and kicking 3 goals every game?

Unfortunately, Dunkley has been given those run with roles like Cripps on Friday.
So, he does not really have a big attacking impact during games.
That's fine when you have Ashcroft playing and McCluggage getting more midfield time with Bailey, Zorko chiming in as more attacking midfielders.
Lyons may have played to ease Neals TOG but that did not help our run either.
Neale, Dunkley and Lyons can not play in the same team again.
Unless it is with Lyons coming on late as the sub.

The getting ahead of ourselves excuse is a common theme for us i think. Hearing Lachie Neale say that is a pretty clear indication our team lacks a real ruthless edge. Many supporters say we never seem to really finish of games. We always leave them open. I'd agree with that thought and suggest it's more evidence of our team lacking that ruthless competitiveness.

Makes me think at best we'll win one premiership with this cohort. One premiership would be amazing don't get me wrong. But it'd arguably an under achievement with the talent we have.

Also, I‘m a big fan of Lachie as a player but i do think Harris should be our sole captain. He's more likely to do inspirational things for the team and just exudes more leadership traits imo. Just to add more of a whack at his leadership(😛), I'd argue Lachie has a poor strike rate for performing at his best in the finals. Could be wrong, but just a perception I have of him.

Also, I‘m a big fan of Lachie as a player but i do think Harris should be our sole captain. He's more likely to do inspirational things for the team and just exudes more leadership traits imo. Just to add more of a whack at his leadership(😛), I'd argue Lachie has a poor strike rate for performing at his best in the finals. Could be wrong, but just a perception I have of him.
Teams know now that if they go hard at Lachie he does tend to fold.
In big finals you are always going to get attention, he needs to learn how to handle the attention and work his way through it.
This weekend will be another prime example.
No doubt Freo will send someone to rough him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back