Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There are other Lions worse off than us.
A long country footy story.
A good read but there’s going to be more and more of this in Country Vic - AFL has taken over and couldn’t give a stuff about grassroots - not the only factor but the CEO of AFL Vic is a revolving door 🚪 because the task is impossible

A good read but there’s going to be more and more of this in Country Vic - AFL has taken over and couldn’t give a stuff about grassroots - not the only factor but the CEO of AFL Vic is a revolving door 🚪 because the task is impossible
It's all about AFL to service the clubs ,players, admin and infrastructure.

The worst thing that's happened in my time has been the demise of grassroots footy.

We used to get great crowds at the Amateurs ,VFA was huge back in the day. But now it's wall to wall AFL on TV over the weekend.

You can't stop 'progress' and the dominance and power of the AFL means the cash will just keep rolling in to those participating and administering that.

It's all about AFL to service the clubs ,players, admin and infrastructure.

The worst thing that's happened in my time has been the demise of grassroots footy.

We used to get great crowds at the Amateurs ,VFA was huge back in the day. But now it's wall to wall AFL on TV over the weekend.

You can't stop 'progress' and the dominance and power of the AFL means the cash will just keep rolling in to those participating and administering that.
Yes it’s all about creating consumers - country sport at senior level is dying - Cricket will go first but Footy won’t be far behind it - we will end up like the US where it will be College Football and Pro

iirc there have been conversations about a need to seperate the governing body of the AFL (competion) from the governing body for Aussie Rules Football (the sport) and that that would allow decisions to be made that were best for 'footy' not 'is this good for the AFL'.

Would that make a difference do you think and is there enough non-AFL centric clout out there to make it happen / a viable option?

The branding has been done (too) well ... I still wince every time someone says they are 'playing AFL' when they mean Aussie Rules (or just going for kick to kick at the park)

iirc there have been conversations about a need to seperate the governing body of the AFL (competion) from the governing body for Aussie Rules Football (the sport) and that that would allow decisions to be made that were best for 'footy' not 'is this good for the AFL'.

Would that make a difference do you think and is there enough non-AFL centric clout out there to make it happen / a viable option?

The branding has been done (too) well ... I still wince every time someone says they are 'playing AFL' when they mean Aussie Rules (or just going for kick to kick at the park)
We once had a National Council that ran Australian Rules Football - the AFL took it over.

In Victoria we had the Victorian Country Football League - a commission responsible for Country Football - now we just have the VFL/ AFL .

If you think it’s too simplistic to blame the AFL I would suggest you don’t have much of a role in country or grassroots footy. All of the roles previously set up to help have been gutted and the experienced operators punted for cheaper versions with redefined roles and no experience and no idea. The staff turnover is off the chart and ultimately more and more is pushed back to volunteers. As a very simple example - Umpiring Rates were published annually for Major & Minor leagues with the prevailing ATO km allowance.

It made it easy - no need to negotiate with your league, no getting out of alignment with other associations. Now it’s a free for all and more often than not the people copping it in the neck are the umpires because “clubs are pushing back that the cost of umpires is too high” yet old mate can get an extra $3k to get him to play.

Just an example

“AFL does not see it as our role”

It’s one of the most basic

We once had a National Council that ran Australian Rules Football - the AFL took it over.

In Victoria we had the Victorian Country Football League - a commission responsible for Country Football - now we just have the VFL/ AFL .

If you think it’s too simplistic to blame the AFL I would suggest you don’t have much of a role in country or grassroots footy. All of the roles previously set up to help have been gutted and the experienced operators punted for cheaper versions with redefined roles and no experience and no idea. The staff turnover is off the chart and ultimately more and more is pushed back to volunteers. As a very simple example - Umpiring Rates were published annually for Major & Minor leagues with the prevailing ATO km allowance.

It made it easy - no need to negotiate with your league, no getting out of alignment with other associations. Now it’s a free for all and more often than not the people copping it in the neck are the umpires because “clubs are pushing back that the cost of umpires is too high” yet old mate can get an extra $3k to get him to play.

Just an example

“AFL does not see it as our role”

It’s one of the most basic
You can probably also see the concerns for the WAFL and SANFL with Port just this week saying they want to join the VFL. Surely it’s only a matter of time that we have a truly national reserves comp so I wonder what that does for those stand alone VFL teams and the likes of Southport who are right anyway. I’d be concerned if I were a Coburg or Williamstown, Southport, Sturt, West Perth etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can probably also see the concerns for the WAFL and SANFL with Port just this week saying they want to join the VFL. Surely it’s only a matter of time that we have a truly national reserves comp so I wonder what that does for those stand alone VFL teams and the likes of Southport who are right anyway. I’d be concerned if I were a Coburg or Williamstown, Southport, Sturt, West Perth etc.
North Ballarat won a couple of VFL flags and folded a few years later.

In the VFL now it’s either Pokies or bust.

Port & Crows will exit the SANFL - the restrictions placed on them are too great. To create a standalone Reserves comp will mean more $$ sucked up at elite level on flights that would be better off spent at grassroots

So it seems like moving forward regarding Gather Rounds, most other interstate teams will get additional games and the Lions and Suns will only get 11 games compared to Sydney and Giants getting 12 home games and SA and WA teams getting 13 games and Victorian teams pretty much getting 16-18 each. Seems fair for Lions and Suns. - Image taken from Sunday Footy Show

image.jpg

It does?
We lose our Biggest drawing Easter Thursday game and get pegged by the AFL again.
Wonder if they could operate it as a NSW/QLD model for that Easter round.

Something like 3x NSW games (2x SCG / 1x Showring Oval) and 3x QLD (2x GABBA / 1x Metricon) could work, with ACT hosting the 7th game if the round include 7 matches.

That way, it’ll grow the game in all the Northern states and our Lions keep the Easter Thursday match.

Multiple Gather Rounds wont work. Its taking a unique thing that draws attention because its special and completely over does it. Interest will drop way off if you try and do it multiple times a year
I don’t mind it if it gives ‘ALL’ non Victorian teams an extra home game. But that would be the only reason.

If it were to be left at just Adelaide, I think it should be one of their 11 home games for the year, not an extra one.

I don’t mind it if it gives ‘ALL’ non Victorian teams an extra home game. But that would be the only reason.

If it were to be left at just Adelaide, I think it should be one of their 11 home games for the year, not an extra one.
Or at the very least, find a way to give all other non VIC teams an additional home game.

I only very rarely read other teams boards but I am interested to know over the years whether Bombers or Giants comment that they stuffed up by not taking Hugh and opting for McGrath and Taranto respectively, particularly Essendon?

Obviously Giants have moved on Taranto and go compo and have an extremely strong midfield group that most clubs can only salivate and McGrath has captained the club but Hugh is a jet and in my view is the pick that surely Bombers must have regrets.

I can answer one of those - Giants don't think about Taranto much (Hopper going at the same time feels like a fleecing of Richmond though) and they really don't think about Hugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back