Multiplat Fallout: New Vegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing this thread makes me realize I should stop playing WoW and actually play the 800+ items I have on my Steam account particularly this, FO3, Skyrim and others.

Tbh I preferred Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

More because I enjoyed the story more in Fallout 3.

Yep I agree with you kickpuncher.

New Vegas expanded the game and has many pretty cool features (multiple factions, companion system, better more varied environments) but for me, it didn't have the same romance as I got with Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was just an incredible game and New Vegas kind of felt like an expansion - I spent hours and hours exploring the capital wasteland where every bit of the world seemed to have some history or story to it which I didn't quite get with NV.

Had they used a new game engine to give it a different feel, I may have felt differently - don't get me wrong I bought New Vegas on release and played through it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it but when I look back on this generation of games; I will probably remember F3 as one of the most memorable and iconic games while New Vegas is more of a 'great game but there was better out there'.

Yep I agree with you kickpuncher.

New Vegas expanded the game and has many pretty cool features (multiple factions, companion system, better more varied environments) but for me, it didn't have the same romance as I got with Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was just an incredible game and New Vegas kind of felt like an expansion - I spent hours and hours exploring the capital wasteland where every bit of the world seemed to have some history or story to it which I didn't quite get with NV.

Had they used a new game engine to give it a different feel, I may have felt differently - don't get me wrong I bought New Vegas on release and played through it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it but when I look back on this generation of games; I will probably remember F3 as one of the most memorable and iconic games while New Vegas is more of a 'great game but there was better out there'.

Absolutely this. NV might be a better game and don't get me wrong, I love the s**t out of it too but when I first played FO3 when it released I was in awe of it. I adored the Capital Wasteland like no other game world except for Vice City and it's still my favorite game this gen.

Absolutely this. NV might be a better game and don't get me wrong, I love the s**t out of it too but when I first played FO3 when it released I was in awe of it. I adored the Capital Wasteland like no other game world except for Vice City and it's still my favorite game this gen.

Exactly right mate - in some ways FO3 is a bit like GTA 3, at the time there had been nothing done like it before and when it came out, it blew peoples minds. That is what FO3 is. New Vegas might have the polish and some added bits and bobs but it didn't have the same 'wow' factor - it was a great game in its own right but IMO wasn't a huge revolutionary step forward whereas something like Vice City took what GTA 3 did and ramped it up tenfold (and San Andreas did again after that).

NV wasn't developed by Bethesda (the guys who did FO3 - I believe they passed it to Obsidian to develop) so that could be part of the reason.

Exactly right mate - in some ways FO3 is a bit like GTA 3, at the time there had been nothing done like it before and when it came out, it blew peoples minds. That is what FO3 is. New Vegas might have the polish and some added bits and bobs but it didn't have the same 'wow' factor - it was a great game in its own right but IMO wasn't a huge revolutionary step forward whereas something like Vice City took what GTA 3 did and ramped it up tenfold (and San Andreas did again after that).

NV wasn't developed by Bethesda (the guys who did FO3 - I believe they passed it to Obsidian to develop) so that could be part of the reason.
Obsidian is run by the guys that developed Fallout 2. It's a lot closer in tone to the first two and for that reason I love it.

I think it's an improvement in every way on FO3, but can understand why it doesn't have the 'wow' of FO3.

Obsidian is run by the guys that developed Fallout 2. It's a lot closer in tone to the first two and for that reason I love it.

I think it's an improvement in every way on FO3, but can understand why it doesn't have the 'wow' of FO3.

Yeah I've heard that as well actually - think things like the 'wild wasteland' perk was a throwback to the original games?

I hadn't really played the fallout franchise before Bethesda made FO3. I had played a demo of the original fallout on the PC back when I was a kid but that was about it. As I loved Oblivion, the thought of a RPG in a post apocalyptic world sounded awesome which is why I got into FO3.

Either way, have my fingers crossed FO4 is announced at E3 this year! :thumbsu:

Yes, the first two games weren't as SUPER SERIAL YOU GUYS as FO3, they had some more lighthearted stuff thrown in like Wild Wasteland did.

I also liked the move away from the 'everything is grey' colorscheme in the Capital Wasteland.

Yes, the first two games weren't as SUPER SERIAL YOU GUYS as FO3, they had some more lighthearted stuff thrown in like Wild Wasteland did.

I also liked the move away from the 'everything is grey' colorscheme in the Capital Wasteland.

Yeah my best mate likes New Vegas a lot more for the variety of colours, environments etc. He found FO3 hard to play but by comparison loves NV and even bought all the DLC.

Personally, I loved the colour of Capital Wasteland. The dull greys and drab colours really make it nice and depressing which reflects all the destruction/desolation from an atomic blast.

Played Fallout NV first and consider it the best gaming experience I have had.

Fallout 3 was great too but felt like a backwards step (understandably).

Really need a new copy of FONV ultimate edition since mine doesn't work anymore. Litterally played it too death :confused:

completed Honest Hearts, whilst short it was enjoyable exploring a more tribal wasteland. Now playing Old World Blues.

Fallout 3 was one of the greatest games i've played, unfarmiliar with the universe the first time i played the game i fell in love with the overall tone and atmosphere of the game. New Vegas is just as good in my opinion. Fact is both FO3 and NV are the only games i've spent extra money on for the expansion packs, really deep games. Can only imagine what Fallout 4 would be like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im hoping that the rumors aren't correct and fallout 4 isn't in Boston

Prefer to have it in NY,LA, San Francisco even Chicacgo would be preferable

Disagree. Think it would be better for those cities to be held back for FO5 or 6 as i don't think a current gen or early next gen game would do them justice like a game made later on in next gen, when devs have a better handle on the systems capabilities.

im hoping that the rumors aren't correct and fallout 4 isn't in Boston

Prefer to have it in NY,LA, San Francisco even Chicago would be preferable

What I would love to see is one based on a city outside America. London would be a great one to do but as far as plot and universe goes Shanghai would be great because the Nuclear war was against them.

Pretty sure it won't happen as and would be disaster if it did. It's that 1950's retro feel that gives the game a lot of it's charm.

What I would love to see is one based on a city outside America. London would be a great one to do but as far as plot and universe goes Shanghai would be great because the Nuclear war was against them.

Couldn't agree more,especially the shanghai idea.London would be perfect too especially with DLC letting you go across/under the channel fighting your way onto the mainland

If Fallout is to leave America it should only be in the form of a DLC.

I think it is also important to remember we really have no idea about the rest of the world. It would leave all the American lore behind basically be a different game.
Pretty sure I have read that Devs say Fallout will never leave American soil IIRC so it's a moot point really.

The world is built around 40's and 50's Americana though. It wouldn't work outside the US.

It is that post war Americana that makes the game so enjoyable.

Just started it. Loving it so far. Never got through Fallout 3 but am determined this time
Credits are rolling. I'm so proud of me :D Fantastic games.

Might replay Skyrim now. Hoping since the last time I finished it (a month after launch) they have patched all the issues that stuffed up a couple of my questlines.

Credits are rolling. I'm so proud of me :D Fantastic games.

Might replay Skyrim now. Hoping since the last time I finished it (a month after launch) they have patched all the issues that stuffed up a couple of my questlines.

I'm going through it now and i've had a couple of quests glitch out on me. In particular 'The Forsworn Conspiracy', think the rest are misc ones. But also, couple of reloading previous saves because the option of talking to someone doesn't appear on characters that i'm meant to begin a quest with. Still very glitchy overall, but i never played it when it first came out, so i can't really compare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back