Review Ex Giants player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a narrative he trotted out years after the event ... not taking that as fact
It aligned with what was going on at the time - he was down the order, in an area of strength, and there wasn't any smoke there beforehand - so I don't see why he'd be making stuff up.

It aligned with what was going on at the time - he was down the order, in an area of strength, and there wasn't any smoke there beforehand - so I don't see why he'd be making stuff up.
Yeah. Steele has basically said he wanted to stay and didn't understand why they wanted to move him on when he "knew" other players were leaving. He wanted to stay a Giant.

LONG-serving club administrator Andrew Ireland and former GWS and Fremantle tagger Matt de Boer have been appointed to the AFL Commission. Ireland and de Boer will formally be elected next March after being endorsed by the Commission on Monday, AFL chairman Richard Goyder says.

De Boer retired at the end of last season after 223 AFL games with Fremantle and GWS. Renowned as a tagger late in his career, de Boer was an AFLPA delegate who co-founded a venture capital company in 2020. "Hopefully I can bring an insight into playing in both an established market with Freo and an emerging market with the Giants," de Boer said.

Lachie Plowman (GWS #3, 2012 ND) retires after 145 games (20 GWS, 125 Carlton)

CARLTON defender Lachie Plowman has announced his retirement after 11 seasons and 145 games.

The 29-year-old was selected by Greater Western Sydney with pick No.3 in the 2012 national draft and spent three seasons at the Giants where he played 20 matches. He was traded to the Blues at the end of 2015, going on to feature 125 times in the navy blue. Plowman made only one senior appearance this year as the Blues forged a path to the preliminary final before falling to Brisbane.

Lachie Plowman (GWS #3, 2012 ND) retires after 145 games (20 GWS, 125 Carlton)

CARLTON defender Lachie Plowman has announced his retirement after 11 seasons and 145 games.

The 29-year-old was selected by Greater Western Sydney with pick No.3 in the 2012 national draft and spent three seasons at the Giants where he played 20 matches. He was traded to the Blues at the end of 2015, going on to feature 125 times in the navy blue. Plowman made only one senior appearance this year as the Blues forged a path to the preliminary final before falling to Brisbane.
145 games in a reasonable career.

This is probably not the time and the place, but taking Plowman at 3 felt like a reach at the time and proved to be so.

but good on Lachie for forging a very solid career.

taking Plowman at 3 felt like a reach at the time and proved to be so.

Truth was that O’Rourke at 2 was the far bigger stretch and this was very much during our - we want Player A so let‘s also draft a mate of his so they‘ll already have a friend when they get here - phase of our recruiting plan. Plowman was the friend.

Truth was that O’Rourke at 2 was the far bigger stretch and this was very much during our - we want Player A so let‘s also draft a mate of his so they‘ll already have a friend when they get here - phase of our recruiting plan. Plowman was the friend.
were they both from the same club as Whitfield or something.

Anyway. Even at the time it seemed to early for both Rourke and Plowman.

From memory someone else was interested in Rourke before or next pick which was about 11ish so we took him early.

We had picks
1,2,3, 11ish and 14ish and took Whitfield (the consensus first pick) Plowman, Rourke, Jaksh and Corr (solid pick at 14)

That draft plus the one 2 years after where we had another monster hand and missed on all of them feel like missed opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

were they both from the same club as Whitfield or something.

Anyway. Even at the time it seemed to early for both Rourke and Plowman.

From memory someone else was interested in Rourke before or next pick which was about 11ish so we took him early.

We had picks
1,2,3, 11ish and 14ish and took Whitfield (the consensus first pick) Plowman, Rourke, Jaksh and Corr (solid pick at 14)

That draft plus the one 2 years after where we had another monster hand and missed on all of them feel like missed opportunities.
That was peak SOS.

Ollie Wines would have been good.
I really don't think SOS is a great list manager.

Wasn’t the bulk of talk in 2012:?

Whitfield.
Toumpas.
Stringer.
Grundy.

Then Macrae, Wines and Mayes got added to the first round chatter with O’Rourke’s U18 games sending him flying?

I remember Membrey and Vlastuin spoken of highly too.

Wasn’t the bulk of talk in 2012:?

Whitfield.
Toumpas.
Stringer.
Grundy.

Then Macrae, Wines and Mayes got added to the first round chatter with O’Rourke’s U18 games sending him flying?

I remember Membrey and Vlastuin spoken of highly too.
That is close enough to how I remember it.

I've since heard that Chocco and Sheedy specifically asked for Grundy to be selected.

Not only did he butcher a lot of prime top ten picks. He re-recruited them to the Blues.. Eg Sumner, Jaksch, Pickett, etc
Silver lining. Let us get some return on the same picks he ****ed up.

Bobby 4 goals in the first half of a Grand Final.
Not a bad afternoon.
Maybe I’m alone but I don’t enjoy his success. I know he had personal stuff going on during his time here but man he shows a heck of a lot more passion playing for Collingwood than he did GWS. He was pretty half hearted a lot of games here. Disappointing.

Maybe I’m alone but I don’t enjoy his success. I know he had personal stuff going on during his time here but man he shows a heck of a lot more passion playing for Collingwood than he did GWS. He was pretty half hearted a lot of games here. Disappointing.
Yep, wish no ill will on the bloke but I wish zero success.

Which as he now has had the game of his career means jack 🤣

Yep, wish no ill will on the bloke but I wish zero success.

Which as he now has had the game of his career means jack 🤣
Tom Boyd all over again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back