Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 263 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 98 27.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For all their carry on in the first month of the season that Taranto and Hopper were excess luggage, GWS could really use either or both of them right now. They've been smashed in the midfield 4 weekends out of the last 5 with what they've got now.

Taranto and Hopper are laughing right now with their money bags. GWS aren’t winning anything.

Pretty funny when you think about it. They left for more money and an opportunity to play for a team who can play in infront of big crowds and regular finals footy.

Richmond fans have not only deserted their team (barely managing a crowd at MCG these days), they are about to remain mid table for the next 5-7 years so Hopper and Taranto have effectively walked into a big pile of sh*t.

Pretty funny when you think about it. They left for more money and an opportunity to play for a team who can play in infront of big crowds and regular finals footy.

Richmond fans have not only deserted their team (barely managing a crowd at MCG these days), they are about to remain mid table for the next 5-7 years so Hopper and Taranto have effectively walked into a big pile of sh*t.
They surely would have known this though. Anyone could see that the Richmond side was on a slippery slope back to mediocrity with a heavy backpack.

My Tilly can tell the whole future 5-7 years ahead of time. Hmmm.

Maybe let's use this to our advantage.

My Tilly - please send us the AFL ladders both post home and away and post finals for the 2024 season. :)

Almost a lose/lose situation this one

GWS didnt get what they needed, Richmond didnt get what they wanted.

I feel like Taranto is the one who should have been smarter. He would have had more options. I think he would have been better off at Essendon.

My Tilly can tell the whole future 5-7 years ahead of time. Hmmm.

Maybe let's use this to our advantage.

My Tilly - please send us the AFL ladders both post home and away and post finals for the 2024 season. :)

He’s confused Richmond with Geelong. They won’t get a top tier player for decades due to GMHBA preventing them from finishing low down the ladder. He should switch teams to save himself the pain.

I'm going to assume "If they still had Taranto and Hopper, GWS would have won the flag last year and be backing up again this year! So we actually totally won this trade after all, and they lost!" is some sort of meme on the Richmond team board.

I keep seeing various different iterations of it from Richmond fans on here.

He’s confused Richmond with Geelong. They won’t get a top tier player for decades due to GMHBA preventing them from finishing low down the ladder. He should switch teams to save himself the pain.
It's pretty funny how "We'll finish above Geelong in 2024" and "We're years ahead of Geelong in the rebuild" suddenly morphed into "Actually it's so much better to finish bottom two" after only 10 rounds....

It's pretty funny how "We'll finish above Geelong in 2024" and "We're years ahead of Geelong in the rebuild" suddenly morphed into "Actually it's so much better to finish bottom two" after only 10 rounds....

Better picks usually means a faster rebuild. We will have vastly better pick over the next 5-10 years.

Every year for 5-10 years your top player will be 13-17, whilst ours will be 1-5. Our second round pick will be nearly as good as your 1st. That’s a massive difference for a rebuild. We are likely to contend again before you.

Richmond fans are the most Fairweather in the league.

2024 Richmond sit 17th on the ladder, North sit 18th.

Richmond average crowds 40,782.

North average crows 22,660.

But Richmond fans the most fair weather in the league. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
North haven't had many supporters in their history. So bad comparison. He is right tho, I remember the nineties and Tiger fans in the closet well.

It's happening all over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better picks usually means a faster rebuild. We will have vastly better pick over the next 5-10 years.

Every year for 5-10 years your top player will be 13-17, whilst ours will be 1-5. Our second round pick will be nearly as good as your 1st. That’s a massive difference for a rebuild. We are likely to contend again before you.

A simpleton might think that, sure.

The Geelong and Collingwood way haven’t resulted in dynasties.

Lions, Hawks and Tigers did.

So yeah who’s the simpleton.
Hawthorn & Geelong 4> Brisbane & Richmond 3.

Collingwood & Sydney is the better comparison if you're going down that route where it's two a piece in the 21st century despite their constant ability to compete.

The Geelong and Collingwood way haven’t resulted in dynasties.

Lions, Hawks and Tigers did.

So yeah who’s the simpleton.

Well it’s not me. I’m not the one saying the only thing guaranteed to make a poor team successful are players drafted earlier than other players. How’s north going with all their early picks?

Hawthorn & Geelong 4> Brisbane & Richmond 3.

Collingwood & Sydney is the better comparison if you're going down that route where it's two a piece in the 21st century despite their constant ability to compete.

4 in 16 isn’t a dynasty as it’s too far apart. It’s only Selwood.

And you need at least b2b as per the record books, every dynasty has one.

It’s just a fact, Cats are not eligible to enter the dynasty club. Always time to make one though.

Well it’s not me. I’m not the one saying the only thing guaranteed to make a poor team successful are players drafted earlier than other players. How’s north going with all their early picks?

North could’ve had JHF, Sheezel, Larkey and Reid all in the same team. But they cooked it.

If they had done what proper clubs would’ve done they would be a powerhouse in a few years with those players.

That’s what getting good picks does it’s better than Holmes, O Henry and Bruhn that’s for sure.

North could’ve had JHF, Sheezel, Larkey and Reid all in the same team. But they cooked it.

If they had done what proper clubs would’ve done they would be a powerhouse in a few years with those players.

That’s what getting good picks does it’s better than Holmes, O Henry and Bruhn that’s for sure.

I think you just proved my point.

"Giving up good picks for experienced players is NOT the way to go!".....from a Richmond supporter on a Hopper/Taranto thread :think:
You know we don't all agree on everything right? Surely you have that amongst Cats supporters too? There's some Tiger supporters I disagree with vehemently, including in this very thread.

A "proper" club would have tanked?

Back