Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 255 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 98 27.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Writing a long paragraph doesn’t make average sound good.

I’d love to be proven wrong, never want anyone to do poorly in their career but right now he is average at best and even comparing to Hopper or Taranto isn’t fair given their outputs. Time on his side but a healthy dose of realism please.
It's also not fair to compare considering the 4 & 5 year age gaps respectively with those players.

Bruhn's ticking along nicely. Ball magnet when he's on the field, albeit we do manage his minutes. Averages anywhere between 55-65 TOG per week for 19-27 possessions.

His clearence and contested possession game is strong, as is his work off both feet.

The only real hole in his game is his endurance, and you'd think that will be amended soon enough. He is only 21 after all.

Each to their own though.

man I'm glad Richmond outbidded us for Hopper, what a disaster that contract looks like now. Luckily Taranto is a gun when he's on the park though

Look at how s**t we are without Taranto and Hopper. It’s almost a spoon side without them.

Having both at least gives some wiggle room if the other goes down with injury.

As far as I’m concerned at this point the deal is a success if we avoid the spoon.

As for Taranto and Hopper the deal is a success for them if the Giants don’t win the flag as they got more money and played for a bigger club.

Odds are in Richmond’s and Taranto/Hoppers favour atm.

Look at how s**t we are without Taranto and Hopper. It’s almost a spoon side without them.

Having both at least gives some wiggle room if the other goes down with injury.

As far as I’m concerned at this point the deal is a success if we avoid the spoon.

As for Taranto and Hopper the deal is a success for them if the Giants don’t win the flag as they got more money and played for a bigger club.

Odds are in Richmond’s and Taranto/Hoppers favour atm.
But don't you want a top pick. What is the point of avoiding the spoon, then?

I will never want my club to come last. We can always trade for picks.
Culture is more important and losing isn’t a good one.

Yep. Look at what all those top draft picks gave Carlton 15 years ago, or North now. Nothing, because a winning culture is always more important than top draft picks.

Yep. Look at what all those top draft picks gave Carlton 15 years ago, or North now. Nothing, because a winning culture is always more important than top draft picks.
Cleansweep17 listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.

Aspiring for 2nd last is just as pathetic and only makes you a laughing stock for near on 4 decades. Don't fall for the same trap your Dad did around '95.

Cleansweep17 listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.

Aspiring for 2nd last is just as pathetic and only makes you a laughing stock for near on 4 decades. Don't fall for the same trap your Dad did around '95.

There is literally another thread and people are bagging north for not tanking and getting Reid.

This is what happens when you want to win meaningless games out of pride.

If winning a premiership is the only outcome which justifies a player changing clubs - no matter whatever other financial, family, lifestyle or wellbeing motivations exist - then probably 90% of players who do so have made a mistake. That includes the hundreds who have changed clubs and not won a flag at their new destination, as well as those who have left a club only to see that original club win a premiership in their absence.

I'm not here to belittle the Giants - I really enjoy watching them play and do so whenever they're playing in Melbourne no matter who their opponent is, and I actually hope they go all the way this year in particular when my own team is not in contention. But there's got to be some sort of lure for a young footballer to join one of the big blockbuster clubs like Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, or Carlton just to be part of that culture and tradition, and maybe be part of a rebuild or eventual resurgence.

I'm not sure why blokes like Taranto/Hopper have been singled out for a thread of their own. Why not Jack Steele, Dylan Shiel, Jordan Dawson, Jordan Clark and the multitude of others who might have a premiership if they'd stayed at their original club?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why blokes like Taranto/Hopper have been singled out for a thread of their own. Why not Jack Steele, Dylan Shiel, Jordan Dawson, Jordan Clark and the multitude of others who might have a premiership if they'd stayed at their original club?

No one in the media was raving on about those teams becoming a premiership threat.
The stuff written about Richmond when they poached Taranto/Hopper, how it would revitalize the list and make them contenders again, it's a double whammy.
Not only are Richmond in a world of trouble from a list stand point, there is major issues with both players actually seeing out the remainder of their contracts due to injury concerns. If Hopper's body is breaking down at 27 yrs of age, imagine what his body will be like at 30 and two more years to go on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one in the media was raving on about those teams becoming a premiership threat.
The stuff written about Richmond when they poached Taranto/Hopper, how it would revitalize the list and make them contenders again, it's a double whammy.
Not only are Richmond in a world of trouble from a list stand point, there is major issues with both players actually seeing out the remainder of their contracts due to injury concerns. If Hopper's body is breaking down at 27 yrs of age, imagine what his body will be like at 30 and two more years to go on his contract.

Attachments

• IMG_8440.gif
    IMG_8440.gif
    427.3 KB · Views: 8
I know. Look how Tom Hawkins fizzled into nothing after his back gave way. Or Buddy, who missed an entire season and then kicked only 51 goals the next year. Or closer to home, Dylan Grimes, who never really recovered from his hamstring issues on his way to becoming a triple premiership player and All-Australian.

And of course you'll be against Dangerfield being offered a new contract given his tendency to break down every couple of games.

The mummy's boy did what the big bad lads from the GWS franchise failed to do last week - not go to complete water and show some ticker against Carlton. Warm milk for Tanner tonight! 🥛
He likely consumed enough of the umpires milk prior to the game to get the Cats over the line.

Carlton were cheated against.

I know. Look how Tom Hawkins fizzled into nothing after his back gave way. Or Buddy, who missed an entire season and then kicked only 51 goals the next year. Or closer to home, Dylan Grimes, who never really recovered from his hamstring issues on his way to becoming a triple premiership player and All-Australian.

And of course you'll be against Dangerfield being offered a new contract given his tendency to break down every couple of games.

This makes very little sense.

And why compare Hopper to Dangerfield? Danger was regularly able to play breathtaking footy when he came to Geelong for years.
It's been the last few seasons he has began to suffer on going injury. Well into his 30's.

Hopper turns 27 and only managed 16 games last year and is already out for another month.

This makes very little sense.

And why compare Hopper to Dangerfield? Danger was regularly able to play breathtaking footy when he came to Geelong for years.
It's been the last few seasons he has began to suffer on going injury. Well into his 30's.

Hopper turns 27 and only managed 16 games last year and is already out for another month.
I am not comparing Dangerfield to Hopper. I'm just highlighting that given you clearly think an injury prone 27 year old is not worth his contract surely you'll be thinking that an injury prone 34 year old is not worth another contract when his current deal expires at season's end.

I am not comparing Dangerfield to Hopper. I'm just highlighting that given you clearly think an injury prone 27 year old is not worth his contract surely you'll be thinking that an injury prone 34 year old is not worth another contract when his current deal expires at season's end.
If we offer Danger 5 years after this so he's contracted as long as Hopper and on the same coin I will 100% agree with you.

Dangerfield is still a match winner (was likely headed for his 3rd time in the coaches votes from his 4th completed game, prior to the hammy) and our skipper, so a one year deal would probably still be worth rolling the dice on given a few others will retire.

The Hopper deal, well it can't really be helped that he has run into injury issues early. I'd be more concerned about his terrible disposal quality with low hurt factor. He makes Taranto look like Ablett Junior, and Tim still does hit the scoreboard plenty himself. Richmond need another high skilled, quality decision maker in the midfield to compliment Taranto's attributes.

Dangerfield is still a match winner (was likely headed for his 3rd time in the coaches votes from his 4th completed game, prior to the hammy) and our skipper, so a one year deal would probably still be worth rolling the dice on given a few others will retire.

The Hopper deal, well it can't really be helped that he has run into injury issues early. I'd be more concerned about his terrible disposal quality with low hurt factor. He makes Taranto look like Ablett Junior, and Tim still does hit the scoreboard plenty himself. Richmond need another high skilled, quality decision maker in the midfield to compliment Taranto's attributes.
Of course you offer Dangerfield another year. I'm just pointing out that if you use the troll's logic then you can't possibly do so. If he's worried how a 27 year old who has had a bad run with injuries might hold up then he must be very very concerned how a 34 year old who has a game built around explosive pace and has suffered multiple hamstring injuries across multiple seasons will hold up.

Thanks for your concern regarding Hoper and our midfield. Probably wasn't such an issue when the Cats were trying to lure him.

Back