Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

most years the winner is undeserving. Cripps was nowhere near the best player when he won it. maybe top 20. Neale didn't even make the AA team and won the Brownlow. He's not a top 25 player in the league. Priddis has won one, completely undeserved. Ollie Wines went from the most votes ever recorded to not even a top 100 player in the afl the following season.
coaches votes received in the last 5 years (includes finals)

bont - 421
neale - 401
petracca - 379
oliver - 346
cripps - 273

one player has outperformed neale in receiving coaches votes in the last 5 years, and it isnt the guy who is presumably your son with the way you gush about him on this forum

by your own estimations oliver should not even be a top 50 player in the league

bont - 421
neale - 401
petracca - 379
oliver - 346
cripps - 273

one player has outperformed neale in receiving coaches votes in the last 5 years, and it isnt the guy who is presumably your son with the way you gush about him on this forum

Hahaha mate, Danny won’t like your response. Totally disagree with him anyways on Neale. He’s a gun. However, Danny doesn’t like players being compared to Oliver, in turn - them players being labelled duds in his eyes. Cripps and Neale included. Both guns of the game, don’t really understand why you got to put them down.

Hahaha mate, Danny won’t like your response. Totally disagree with him anyways on Neale. He’s a gun. However, Danny doesn’t like players being compared to Oliver, in turn - them players being labelled duds in his eyes. Cripps and Neale included. Both guns of the game, don’t really understand why you got to put them down.
More than happy for anyone to post something that shows Clayton Oliver dominating Cripps in the coaches votes again.

Regarding Neale, if he was a true gun he would've been AA. I use the coaches votes and the AA together.

If Oliver beats Cripps in the Coaches votes yet against despite missing all of pre-season, despite coming back to training significantly overweight and barely motivated to play then it'll be pretty laughable but I expect it to happen if Oliver is back by round 7 or 8. That'll be enough games.

More than happy for anyone to post something that shows Clayton Oliver dominating Cripps in the coaches votes again.

Regarding Neale, if he was a true gun he would've been AA. I use the coaches votes and the AA together.

If Oliver beats Cripps in the Coaches votes yet against despite missing all of pre-season, despite coming back to training significantly overweight and barely motivated to play then it'll be pretty laughable but I expect it to happen if Oliver is back by round 7 or 8. That'll be enough games.
Convinced Clarry is ur lover at this point, the obsession is truly reaching levels that edge on concerning

bont - 421
neale - 401
petracca - 379
oliver - 346
cripps - 273

Poor old Petracca. He didn't have his breakout year until 2020, yet he's included in these stats since 2019, where he polled the grand total of one vote for the season.

So, in the last 4 years he's clearly head and shoulders above the other 4.

Btw, I have Neale on 398, not 401 and Oliver on 356, not 346.

This gives Neale an average of 3.6 to Oliver's 3.5 votes per game, i.e. a bees' d*ck.

Oliver clearly wasn't right when he came back for his last 5 games and polled a solitary vote accordingly. Remove those last 5 games and he goes ahead of Neale on average votes per game over this 5 year period. But I'm happy to just conclude they've been virtually identical in a 5 year span where Neale has won 2 Brownlows. Albeit, last year was a joke.

Btw, I agree with your other 3 players' tallies.

Poor old Petracca. He didn't have his breakout year until 2020, yet he's included in these stats since 2019, where he polled the grand total of one vote for the season.
i used 2019 as the thread was created after the beginning of the 2018 season. 2019 onwards as such should reflect how people have changed their opinions and made arguments over cripps / oliver for the lifetime of the thread

So, in the last 4 years he's clearly head and shoulders above the other 4.

Btw, I have Neale on 398, not 401 and Oliver on 356, not 346.

This gives Neale an average of 3.6 to Oliver's 3.5 votes per game, i.e. a bees' d*ck.

Oliver clearly wasn't right when he came back for his last 5 games and polled a solitary vote accordingly. Remove those last 5 games and he goes ahead of Neale on average votes per game over this 5 year period. But I'm happy to just conclude they've been virtually identical in a 5 year span where Neale has won 2 Brownlows. Albeit, last year was a joke.

Btw, I agree with your other 3 players' tallies.
Either way it's sliced the 3 demons players in Oliver, Petracca and Gawn all steal votes off each other in every award. Neale and Cripps have had no-one. Walsh, Mccluggage aren't at the same calibre.

Either way it's sliced the 3 demons players in Oliver, Petracca and Gawn all steal votes off each other in every award. Neale and Cripps have had no-one. Walsh, Mccluggage aren't at the same calibre.
youre coping danny

as you would say

the coaches votes never lie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn? lol what the hell. yeah, only 6 time All-Australian with only 1 or 2 positions each year. Will probably be AA this year surpassing Dean Cox.

Gawn is a ruckman. Probably one of the best ruckman in the league so of course he will get AA for it. That doesn’t mean that he is stealing votes off Petracca and Oliver and there isn’t any evidence of him doing that.

Where did Gawn rank in the Coaches Votes competition wide last year since you are so fond of those votes?

its amazing you can blithely quote the coaches votes when it suits your narrative but refuse to engage with them when they run contrary to your stance on neale

truly amazing
Neale's a decent player. I value the coaches award much higher than the Brownlow for obvious reasons.

no.

you value it higher in this thread because it suits your narrative to do so
what are you on about...are you referring to the Brownlow or the Coaches votes? I don't value the Brownlow at all. I've maintained that for years.

I value the coaches votes extremely highly, so if we're focussing on Neale then each year he has finished high in the award then I tip my hat to him. He is a very consistent performer. But I also value the AA awards. So I personally marry up the Coaches votes and the AA awards to evaluate a player.

Gawn is a ruckman. Probably one of the best ruckman in the league so of course he will get AA for it. That doesn’t mean that he is stealing votes off Petracca and Oliver and there isn’t any evidence of him doing that.

Where did Gawn rank in the Coaches Votes competition wide last year since you are so fond of those votes?
Gawn came top 20 in 2022, 2021, and 2019.

Last year he obviously wasn't a factor due to the Grundy experiment.

Btw, Gawn won the coaches award in 2018.

Let's see how he goes this year.

You obviously ignore opposition coaches votes as well, as you don't win the coaches award without the imprimatur of both coaches.

Btw, is ''Crazy Vossy'' no longer a thing ?
I rate coaches votes, I just think there's too many extremely bias coaches in the league which imo skews the voting. Some of the post game interviews from Goodwin and others like Fagan and Bevo are laughable. Always that they lost the game due to their own mistakes, rarely seem to give kudos to opposition teams. Diverting blame on umps, the AFL, the media... It's ridiculous.

Imo their coaches votes often reflect their narrow view of things where as I've always found Chris Scott, Lyon and Hinkley have been coaches who stand out for giving praise to opposition and distributing their votes fairly.

Brownlow voting has the flaws too but the reason it's the most prestigious award their is is because it's as close to unbiased as possible.

I rate coaches votes, I just think there's too many extremely bias coaches in the league which imo skews the voting. Some of the post game interviews from Goodwin and others like Fagan and Bevo are laughable. Always that they lost the game due to their own mistakes, rarely seem to give kudos to opposition teams. Diverting blame on umps, the AFL, the media... It's ridiculous.

Imo their coaches votes often reflect their narrow view of things where as I've always found Chris Scott, Lyon and Hinkley have been coaches who stand out for giving praise to opposition and distributing their votes fairly.

Brownlow voting has the flaws too but the reason it's the most prestigious award their is is because it's as close to unbiased as possible.
Give me examples of games where Melbourne players were unfairly given votes post a loss.

Back