Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

If that isn’t embarrassing for the playing group that our team trains with the lowest level of intent, I don’t know what is
This is one question I’ve always wanted to know the answer to. What is our training standards like compared to the best teams? I wouldn’t have a clue. We now have the answer which isn’t overly surprising I suppose given our output in games but nonetheless it’s freaking disappointing ! Surely the coaches know it’s not up to scratch so what are they doing about it??

If there’s one question I have over Clarko it’s been does he now second guess himself in terms of his ruthlessness given what happened at Hawthorn and today’s environment.

I recall JHF saying the difference in training was stark at PA and also Ben’s recent comments. People can say what they like about those 2 but there’s obviously some truth to it.

It’s probably why we don’t get the best out of players who come from other teams, they arrive at North and think they’re on easy street ie freaking holiday!

Not good enough as a club.

I interviewed a player once who had been at Carlton during Judd's time and I asked him what made Judd so good. He said training. Said he was always first on the track and last off the track. Trained as hard as any player he knew. Then when training was finished he would take a younger player aside and do some one on one if there was a specific area the player was working on. He said the better Judd got the harder he trained.

This is all bullshit. He's just coasting because it's preseason.

Yeah I’ll put my hand up and own that his preseason form didn’t bother me. He’s been ok this season, but he’s capable of far better. He’s getting close attention from the opposition now and needs to work harder to get through it, it’s something all A graders go through before they become A graders (if that makes sense)

Great article Mick, finally someone in the footy media who knows and understands footy and provides some constructive criticism rather than the Barrett's of this world. I think Comben is already providing a similar energy as X too. That said, I do recall LDU saying he had some niggles and wasn't ramping up his training until after Christmas so I wonder when Micky visited Arden St.

Not sure if he’s been back since but I know he was at one of our practice matches with Kingy and a mate of mine’s.

The training thing is one of the most hopeless things about the club. I fully believe it. It's become a key part of our cultural rot.
What I don't understand though, assuming it's true - and there's plenty of evidence - is why this lack of training standards isn't addressed by Clarko and the other coaches

What I don't understand though, assuming it's true - and there's plenty of evidence - is why this lack of training standards isn't addressed by Clarko and the other coaches

I know that Mick said our training standards did improve after Clarko first came over. Someone from here asked him about it on Twitter and he said (something like, can’t remember exactly) they were training much better.

The training thing is one of the most hopeless things about the club. I fully believe it. It's become a key part of our cultural rot.
iam sure that most of us that played understand what is demanded isn't always delivered and thats mainly on the players to a degree, many different clubs i played at had blokes skiving off at the back of the group (mysenlf included at times) , little things like not putting in the last 3 paces in shuttle runs, etc... The better groups have a critical mass of blokes that wouldn't stand for it and gave the slackers a bit of a rap, its peer pressure to a degree that drives the standards and the Judd example doesn't surprise me one bit

If your going to be calling others out you obviously need to be towing the line yourself, iam not convinced most of out senior group are? Iam more confident Sheezel and Wardlaw are better drivers of standards, i also think Drury whilst not being the most talented bloke on the list appears to have hitched his fortunes to those 2.

I know that Mick said our training standards did improve after Clarko first came over. Someone from here asked him about it on Twitter and he said (something like, can’t remember exactly) they were training much better.
So if under Clarko training intensity is still miles off, we must have had subterranean standards before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember those comments. The McGuane article, though, referred to our last pre-season.

If we have the worst training standards, then we're probably going to be the worst team. Unless it's a devious plot to stock up on #1 draft picks for the forseeable future, I just don't understand.

The sliding doors response would have been perfectly serviceable without the last line.
But nah, he had to take a shot at someone completely unrelated to the exchange just so he could have the last laugh

I remember those comments. The McGuane article, though, referred to our last pre-season.

If we have the worst training standards, then we're probably going to be the worst team. Unless it's a devious plot to stock up on #1 draft picks for the forseeable future, I just don't understand.

I’ll try to find out.

This is one question I’ve always wanted to know the answer to. What is our training standards like compared to the best teams? I wouldn’t have a clue. We now have the answer which isn’t overly surprising I suppose given our output in games but nonetheless it’s freaking disappointing ! Surely the coaches know it’s not up to scratch so what are they doing about it??

If there’s one question I have over Clarko it’s been does he now second guess himself in terms of his ruthlessness given what happened at Hawthorn and today’s environment.

I recall JHF saying the difference in training was stark at PA and also Ben’s recent comments. People can say what they like about those 2 but there’s obviously some truth to it.

It’s probably why we don’t get the best out of players who come from other teams, they arrive at North and think they’re on easy street ie freaking holiday!

Not good enough as a club.
I guess to compound our doubt, we’ve had a lot of our coaching staff out of the game for a decent amount of time (2-4 years) and some not around great standards either (patch and Emma perhaps). So you’re right, who is driving this and demanding standards?

I’m coming around to this. I have stated many times that I didn’t think he was captaincy material, no knock, I just didn’t see it.

I do now though because I think he’s grown a fair bit as a presence with the group, and also because of his stance on sticking by the club and not just running off to try and snag a flag. He’s all in….so are Jy and Luke though so I’m not sure if I’d be taking the captaincy off them just yet, but it’s definitely a watch.
💯
I’m the same. I was all chip in on Jy & thought Larks was leadership group at best, but along with Sheez, he is the face of the club & couldn’t handle himself better (particularly off field).

Listen Shinboners podcast and hashtag kangaroos. Even better.
They’ve all got their positives & negatives, but it’s just nice to have some to listen to. We only had one (which was pretty good) for years. I’m glad a few have stepped up to fill the void.
Will be even better when they can all focus wins.

Great article Mick, finally someone in the footy media who knows and understands footy and provides some constructive criticism rather than the Barrett's of this world. I think Comben is already providing a similar energy as X too. That said, I do recall LDU saying he had some niggles and wasn't ramping up his training until after Christmas so I wonder when Micky visited Arden St.
Always an excuse for Davies Uniacke isn't there. If it's not an injury niggle it's the 'system', if it's not the system it's that he has to contend with a tag, if it's not the tag it's Xerri's fault. One common denominator I see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back