Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Selwood is like a slightly more articulate version of Jobe Watson.

I'm sure the guy has a lot to offer and it might be a Seven thing, but he's simply stating the bleeding obvious in a nice, overly positive way and offering very little.

I'm sure the guy has a lot to offer and it might be a Seven thing, but he's simply stating the bleeding obvious in a nice, overly positive way and offering very little.

That goes for nearly all the recent ex players.

Selwood, Watson, Hodge, Cotchin etc. None of them got the gig because they are insightful, polished media performers - they got it because they are a big name and that’s what we want, apparently. I’m sure there’s a lot more intelligent, insightful players out there but they don’t have the name & accolades.

Darce made an attempt to talk up Port's chances (7 points down with 6 seconds to play) at the last centre bounce on Saturday night.

He said “you never know” and then the last 6 seconds were pretty much played in dead silence because I think even the rest of the commentators were scratching their heads.

Unless the Demons bowled a no-ball ?

Selwood, Watson, Hodge, Cotchin etc. None of them got the gig because they are insightful, polished media performers - they got it because they are a big name and that’s what we want, apparently. I’m sure there’s a lot more intelligent, insightful players out there but they don’t have the name & accolades.
Dis-agree on Hodge, think he does well explaining things that aren't on the screen, which is what his job is. I can see how his bias toward the Lions annoys folk though. They should just not put ex-players on when their old team is playing.

The other 3 are a waste of time though.

Lol imagine if Clancy Pearce, Rohan bail, Ryan bastinac or Ty Zantuck had a go. No one would listen to them

Lol imagine if Clancy Pearce, Rohan bail, Ryan bastinac or Ty Zantuck had a go. No one would listen to them
The issue is Ch 7 grooming all of these ex-players as "stars". That's the last thing we want - they add absolutely nothing. We just want measured commentary with no egos and stupid predictions (e.g. Darcy thinking Port can still win). That's why Matt Hill is so appealing.

I wish our commentators would study Mike Breen in the US (NBA commentator). He shows you can be the best of the best without needing to reinvent the wheel. His simplicity and economy of words is so effective. He rolls through the same 15-20 phrases for any given game and just calls what he sees.

Basketball is a different game, far less chaos than Aussie Rules so it works well but you could apply the same method.

I wish our commentators would study Mike Breen in the US (NBA commentator). He shows you can be the best of the best without needing to reinvent the wheel. His simplicity and economy of words is so effective. He rolls through the same 15-20 phrases for any given game and just calls what he sees.

Basketball is a different game, far less chaos than Aussie Rules so it works well but you could apply the same method.
BANG

They might be alright. The thing with broadcasting is it doesn't matter if you stopped playing at Under 12Bs, if you have a good voice, have an engaging personality (rather than annoying) and explain what's happening and what's to come clearly and concisely, people will listen and watch.

They might be alright. The thing with broadcasting is it doesn't matter if you stopped playing at Under 12Bs, if you have a good voice, have an engaging personality (rather than annoying) and explain what's happening and what's to come clearly and concisely, people will listen and watch.

As a caller, yes. But for special comments they will always lean towards the 250+ game, multiple All-Australian, captain, Brownlow Medallist type because of the "cred" that they bring - runs on the board.

is this a criticism of Selwood OR pumping up of Watson? :think: 🤣

I think at a minimum the newly retired guys should take a course in radio broadcasting. They need to use their voices better.
You can see JR has done some studying as he knows all the commentator phrases. Too many others are coming in cold without a clue how to do it professionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a caller, yes. But for special comments they will always lean towards the 250+ game, multiple All-Australian, captain, Brownlow Medallist type because of the "cred" that they bring - runs on the board.

That's the problem. They have the cred and runs on the board, but are as boring as the proverbial, have a voice either like Barry Gibb or Lurch and nothing in between and offer very little in the way of 'insights' other than tired old cliches and the bleeding obvious.

So, if they want to get these blokes in, give them some training, take the rough edges off before unleashing them on viewers where they come across worse than fingernails down a blackboard.

Slightly off topic - I caught a bit of the Gudinski show on the other night.

What hit me was how close the 12th Man “Boned” adaptation was…so much so that I had to put it on in the car yesterday…glory days

Back on topic this would have to be the worst commentary crew - there’s no flow it just awkward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back