Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit where credit's due, BT didn't hold back when pointing out the handfull of head high frees missed by the umps on young Ginnivan yesterday. Most neutrals would probably agree that a couple of them were unfairly or blatantly ignored.

Ginnivan still ahead though.

Jeez, BT and Brayshaw were REALLY pumping up Hawthorn's chances very late in the game, even when they were 30 points down in the pissing rain
I’ve noticed this quite a lot lately. Pumping up teams excessively, to be in the game still while 30 points down in the last quarter. Did they get a directive from AFL HQ on this I wonder?

I’ve noticed this quite a lot lately. Pumping up teams excessively, to be in the game still while 30 points down in the last quarter. Did they get a directive from AFL HQ on this I wonder?
It demeans the audience - treats us like dickheads - as to what it says about the commentators…it merely reveals them

Darce made an attempt to talk up Port's chances (7 points down with 6 seconds to play) at the last centre bounce on Saturday night.

I've said it before in general but the trend of commentators hoping/wishing/anticipating something happening just to launch the big soundbite for post-game highlights/plays is dreadful. Today Darcy said a Harry McKay kick looked good off the boot yet the camera was right behind the kicker and showed the ball just about going inside the right-hand behind post and then the air goes out of the balloon.
Darcy says that on nearly every shot as long as the ball is spinning right no matter what direction it is going. 40% of the time it will be a goal, 30% of the time it will be a behind and the remaining 30% will either be on the full or fall short

Jeez, BT and Brayshaw were REALLY pumping up Hawthorn's chances very late in the game, even when they were 30 points down in the pissing rain
This has been going on for a long time, especially from BT. I remember a game back in 2021 between Essendon and Carlton where BT kept talking up Essendon’s chances late and Bartel said to BT something like ‘I’m not buying what you’re selling.’

Lol no it's clearly a channel 7 production team incentive. On MMM BT would call it a s**t game and hawthorn are s**t.
It's a channel 7 thing 1000% I don't know how people miss this lol

Lol no it's clearly a channel 7 production team incentive. On MMM BT would call it a s**t game and hawthorn are s**t.
It's a channel 7 thing 1000% I don't know how people miss this lol
it is a TV thing. Dwayne Russell does the same on Fox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is a TV thing. Dwayne Russell does the same on Fox
Say the games over and people stop watching.
BT went on MMM last week and said the good Friday appeal game was gonna be s**t and north were s**t lol.

Turn on 7 and he'd be told to say it's a great day for families and a happy nice occasion everyone should get behind

I thought I heard him stop himself saying "ball" a couple of times.

I wondered if someone has (finally) had a word.
Right off the vegetable of the bat, that one.

Say the games over and people stop watching.
BT went on MMM last week and said the good Friday appeal game was gonna be s**t and north were s**t lol.

Turn on 7 and he'd be told to say it's a great day for families and a happy nice occasion everyone should get behind
Damien Barrett often remarks on Sounding Board that he enjoys Triple M BT and JB but not the Ch7 versions.

Nicholson isn't a bad commentator per se as he showed on ABC Radio but he has been Sevenised unfortunately.
I don’t like listening to him. Not shy about giving his opinion on free kicks and is aping his more annoying colleagues a bit more often these days.

Common denominator is that commentators irrespective of where they're come from, as soon as they have a Ch7 microphone in front of them turn for the worse.

Jason Bennett is the only current commentator who hasn't been Sevenised.

I can't think of any other commentator calling the game from the McAvaney/Cometti era (i.e. the most recent AFL media contracts) to nowadays who hasn't sold their soul to the "Boys Club", Nicholson being the latest.

His recent Collingwood call was essentially barracking.

Why are the audio levels of Dale Thomas & Selwood so low. Turn them up or teach them to put the mic closer.

Surprisingly this issue doesn't exist with Daisy Pearce & Abby Holmes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back