Review Cats just Spifflocate north by .. I lost count after 106….

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne around 2011-2014 and GC for... well, most of their existence, were case studies of what happens when you don't have at least a decent senior core in your team. North is the latest example of that.

I'll say this - we might all be sick to death of getting to September and bombing out because "haha look at dad's army so slow and fail LOLZZZZZZzzzz", but I'd take that over what North have dished up for the past 2 and a bit seasons.

Give them the top 5 picks in the draft and it wouldn't fix things for at least 2-3 years - and maybe not at all. They need a few more decent senior players to stiffen things up.
Top picks in the draft just mean that if they do put it together they'll be a dominant team which you also don't want. You want to shift the dial to get them to be Essendon or Crows by next season, you don't want to make a 3-peat team in 2029

Gives them a out for other support too. Automatic free agency for any non-free agent wanting to go there, lifting soft cap, new administration and coaching

I’m starting to think it’s their only chance at long term survival (of sorts). I’d hate it if it was my team being mooted to relocate but where are they in another 5-10 years? They are hardly a sexy proposition for sponsors, they aren’t a consideration for kids who get the opportunity to chose their team, they look to be years away from being competitive let alone challenging for a flag, they’ll lose any quality they have (ie Horne-Francis) to other teams etc etc.

Hate to say it but North and the AFL now have to seriously consider relocating to Tassie. They are being propped up by the AFL distribution and have little likelihood of being viable under their own steam. They look now like an amateur outfit in a professional league.
Tassie should get their own side and North merge with the Hawthorn to form the North Melbourne Hawks.

Honestly I don't know how they will retain players, they'll have to pay overs but I'd love us to say ask the question of Simpkin, young and talented enough, would thrive in a good system, looked absolutely miserable coming off the ground and even a couple of long down the line kicks you could see rhe look of resignation on his face that it was literally his only option and not likely to produce anything

Top picks in the draft just mean that if they do put it together they'll be a dominant team which you also don't want. You want to shift the dial to get them to be Essendon or Crows by next season, you don't want to make a 3-peat team in 2029

Theoretically, yeah that's a potential problem. I'm not sure if we'll ever see it play out like that though? GWS had seemingly "all the picks" for a few years, but outside of a couple of good but not great seasons, they never become the juggernaut some were predicting.

That said, throwing a lot of extra draft help at the bottom team - even a basket case like North - is inherently unfair on other struggling teams. All the focus goes on 18th, but some seasons 17th or 16th aren't a whole lot better but often get overlooked.

And we're not even touching on the off-field issues, which seem more than apparent...

I’m starting to think it’s their only chance at long term survival (of sorts). I’d hate it if it was my team being mooted to relocate but where are they in another 5-10 years? They are hardly a sexy proposition for sponsors, they aren’t a consideration for kids who get the opportunity to chose their team, they look to be years away from being competitive let alone challenging for a flag, they’ll lose any quality they have (ie Horne-Francis) to other teams etc etc.
Give them a caretaker coach like Melb had (Buckley Lyon Clarko) and 2 end of round 1 PP and force them to trade them for senior 25+ age players.

But do not under any circumstances stuff with the first round screwing clubs who aren't basket cases.

Honestly I don't know how they will retain players, they'll have to pay overs but I'd love us to say ask the question of Simpkin, young and talented enough, would thrive in a good system, looked absolutely miserable coming off the ground and even a couple of long down the line kicks you could see rhe look of resignation on his face that it was literally his only option and not likely to produce anything
COLA

Give them a caretaker coach like Melb had (Buckley Lyon Clarko) and 2 end of round 1 PP and force them to trade them for senior 25+ age players.

But do not under any events stuff with the first round screwing clubs who aren't basket cases.

I’m not sure that’s the solution. They’ve already had a raft of high picks that have turned to squat. They just look like a club that has completely lost all belief. From the administration down. I can’t see any blue sky ahead for them.

I’m not sure that’s the solution. They’ve already had a raft of high picks that have turned to squat. They just look like a club that has completely lost all belief. From the administration down. I can’t see any blue sky ahead for them.
Not suggesting using the picks on 18 yo players more so trying to find good deals so they could get a Hendo/Tuohy type deal that we have done in the past.
It is players like that (like the ones they traded and delisted) that will help them short and long term.
And giving them a coach that has a proven record as a caretaker wouldn't hurt.

Biggest problem is finding players and a coach who would be willing to go to North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But do not under any circumstances stuff with the first round screwing clubs who aren't basket cases.
I wouldn't even give them the priority picks. It's not the issue. We just default to it because it's what we've seen.

What worked for Melbourne was a full board and coaching clean out.

Leadership is the only sustainable advantage in footy and the only sustained disadvantage

I wouldn't even give them the priority picks. It's not the issue. We just default to it because it's what we've seen.

Leadership is the only sustainable advantage in footy and the only sustained disadvantage
Oh i agree i wouldn't give them s**t except help getting the off field stuff in order but the AFL will take the easy road.

If i had my way no club would ever get a PP ever again unless it is a club coming into the AFL for the first time ala GWS/GCS.

And the addition of mature players to help lead the youngsters through the difficult times until such period as the youngsters were ready to be leaders themselves

This was the point that North Melbourne shot themselves in the foot where they over estimated the quality of their youth and under estimated the value of experience: "The Kangaroos revealed on the eve of the finals that Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo would not be offered contracts for 2017."

Maybe you don't keep all 4 of them for the following season, but Boomer Harvey was such a heart & soul player for that club, and his "retirement" really hurt the club & maybe it's when questions get asked about what the club stands for - we keep hearing about the "Shinboner Spirit", but how long has it been since an outsider would say they've seen that in the North Melbourne FC?

Jeremy Cameron is even better than I thought, and I thought he was a star before he came across. The excitement he generates when he has the pill is up there with any player we have had since the great man (Gaz Snr). Whatever we gave up….absolute bargain. This is an entertainment business after all.

Have you ever seen a more somber rendition of the club song after a 100pt win? Watching this, it really feels like the players are happy for the win but didn't exactly get much joy from the match as the opposition were just inept

Hate to say it but North and the AFL now have to seriously consider relocating to Tassie. They are being propped up by the AFL distribution and have little likelihood of being viable under their own steam. They look now like an amateur outfit in a professional league.
The gulf in fitness , strength , skills and gameplay was very disturbing to see

I really don’t know what the answer is for them as most of it is self inflicted with their mass delisting and picking a coach that hasn’t been in the system for at least 10 years.

Sad to see

Was this you?

First time ive heard anyone in Geelong cheer for a Pyramid.....

I thought Geelong had banned all Pyramid's and any reference to them :oops:

but no not me...

GO Catters

Try www.afl.com.au next time if you want to know if we won or lost.
Imagine complaining about a headline in a public forum that the scores weren’t up front and center.
Deadest
just goes to show that even after 112 point win.... you cant please everyone...

Such is life.

GO Catters

North don’t deserve a priority pick either. Can’t reward being crap.

I come in peace! Purely for positive discussion or simply ignore it!

May I ask why we (North) should not get a priority pick, when all the teams prior to us did?

Every team that has got one is for that exact reason. Being crap which we (North) certainly are as you all just saw!!!!!

Yes, we (North) have made some shocking decisions to be where we are, but so did all the teams that received priority picks in the past.

As per my post last night, well played and good luck rest of the year and if Cats fans don't think North deserve a priority pick then fair enough, no worries.

May I ask why we (North) should not get a priority pick, when all the teams prior to us did?

Every team that has got one is for that exact reason. Being crap which we (North) certainly are as you all just saw!!!!!

Yes, we (North) have made some shocking decisions to be where we are, but so did all the teams that received priority picks in the past.

As per my post last night, well played and good luck rest of the year and if Cats fans don't think North deserve a priority pick then fair enough, no worries.
Yes, you should get it. Simple.

I have no issue North getting a P Pick.
And im also no to the Tassie Move.

When Geelong was in the dumpster in 98-99 North voted for, or did something that allowed Geelong to stay in Geelong. Cant remember if it was finance thing, a home ground thing... but it was something.

Based on that... you have my support to stand alone and get some AFL support.

But you need more the P Pick sadly.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back