Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta pick yes or no for your life.

Do we make a late chance on Sunday?

I got my life on YES.
Yes

Tuohy out with an ankle injury after failing a fitness test

Are you sure that the second sentence follows the first? Stanley wasn't even an AFL player when StKilda was in flag contention.

But I cannot blame Roo for being frustrated with Rhys Stanley. He's not wrong - Stanley is a great athlete, who has struggled for consistency throughout his career.

I actually agree with all of that. His 2022 season and premiership medal covers quite a few sins; he has been lucky to survive at times and only really stayed on Geelong's list because Zac Smith couldn't make it work. Not many players survive being dropped to VFL level in the prime of their career as much as he has.

Again, I agree with Riewoldt. Gawn was fresh off a BoG performance against Geelong where he led a huge fightback and kicked the winning goal. He then followed it up with five goals and five clearances with another BoG performance (along with Petracca). The acid was on Stanley after he had been given a bath in the QF, so it was a massive game for him, against the best ruckman in the league.

Saying that Stanley has had great athletic attributes and yet been really inconsistent on output is not a controversial statement in the least. He is absolutely right that Stanley has not been reliable. He's had some very good games, from time to time, but has always been a bit susceptible to an absolute pantsing as well.

It was the repetitiveness and bitterness of it that was really noticeable.

Saying Stanley has been inconsistent over his career and that he's a great athlete but not a great footballer is perfectly fine. When you can't mention the guys name without putting the boots into him it's just vindictive.

It's the only time in watching footy that I've thought there was a really personal animosity on display from a commentator to a player.

I remember we gave away pick 21 to the Saints to get Rhys Stanley, and they used it to pick Hugh Goddard, who many considered at the time to be a potential future AA defender. There was panic and outrage that we let such a terrific young talent go for Stanley. Ten years later, Hugh Goddard only managed to play 12 AFL games (Injuries) and finished his career as a rookie at Carlton in 2018. Meanwhile, Rhys has gone on to become a good ruckman in a Premiership-winning team. Congrats on 200 games, Rhys.
I remember someone commenting that Hugh Goddard was a "space cadet", i.e. he had all the physical attributes but just had no idea about game plans or structures or anything beyond See-Ball-Get-Ball.

The fixture here is farcical too. Pies last game in Geelong 1999.

North have played here in 19 of 25 seasons since then.
Why are their fans worth less than a pies fan.

The fixture here is farcical too. Pies last game in Geelong 1999.

North have played here in 19 of 25 seasons since then.
Why are their fans worth less than a pies fan.

North have fans? 😉

They need to learn to make noise like Tigers fans did a few years back

Me too plus Shaun Mannagh,and Shannon Neale can still play VFL Sunday arvo v Bullants.
Someone will have to miss a game.
Could have someone go down in the warmup etc.

At best they'd get 3 quarters having to travel to Preston after our game starts then warm up again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the repetitiveness and bitterness of it that was really noticeable.

Saying Stanley has been inconsistent over his career and that he's a great athlete but not a great footballer is perfectly fine. When you can't mention the guys name without putting the boots into him it's just vindictive.

It's the only time in watching footy that I've thought there was a really personal animosity on display from a commentator to a player.
I always think of Stanley as a true weapon in our team, similar to Gary Rohan. Consistent, maybe not, but brilliant when on. Almost our barometer.

keep Kolo out
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reese Stanley's football with the Cats over the journey reminds a little of the girl with curl or a Jekyll and Hyde but to his credit he's become a far more consistent player in his latter years and of course he's now proudly a 'Geelong Premiership Player' which no doubt will live in his memory for the rest of his days.

Oddly enough, in days yonder he actually did play three excellent games of footy that I remember that he could hang his hat on, with one against Gawn/Dees/Kardinia Park.... another against Grundy/Pies/MCG.... and finally NicNat/Eagles/Kardinia Park who were all leading AFL ruckman at time, so when he was good he was very good but bloody hell when he was bad he was horrid!

There was a little girl, who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was horrid

There was a big ruck who had a lot of luck and when challenged he was applauded

But when in cruise control he couldn't fill the role so against s***trucks he was thwarted

Obviously Scotty is an incredible coach, but I am still salty about 2 decisions he made that I think cost us games and potentially flags.

Chapman sub in the 2013 QF, and dropping Stanley and running with Blicavs and Esava against Grundy in the 2019 QF. And they Stanley is straight back in the next week. Grundy was the match winner that day and I still think a poor Stanley at that point still does 70% better that what Esava did in the ruck. And that year Blicavs was excellent in defence as part of the misfits, and so we took him out of defence which had been settled all season to play ruck.

Obviously Scotty is an incredible coach, but I am still salty about 2 decisions he made that I think cost us games and potentially flags.

Chapman sub in the 2013 QF, and dropping Stanley and running with Blicavs and Esava against Grundy in the 2019 QF. And they Stanley is straight back in the next week. Grundy was the match winner that day and I still think a poor Stanley at that point still does 70% better that what Esava did in the ruck. And that year Blicavs was excellent in defence as part of the misfits, and so we took him out of defence which had been settled all season to play ruck.
I don’t think you can blame the losses on Chapman and Stanley not playing.
Joel Selwood admitted in his book that they went in over confident against the Dockers in the final because they’d won comfortably in the earlier game their that season and there was a sense of inevitability with the game being a Geelong home final.
And in 2019 it could be the fact that Tom Hawkins kicked 0.4 in a game we lost by 10 points. That definitely cost us in the 2020 qualifying final where he kicked 0.5.
(Not a dig on Tommy, he’s won us his fair share of games but it just highlights his importance and something the coach can’t control is goal kicking)

I'll always scratch my head over the decision to drop Stanley for the Collingwood QF. It really did mess with our team structure, especially when it came to Blitz. And Scotty's excuse being, "We dropped Stanley because we thought it was going to rain," was a weird one too.

I remember the commentators pre-game absolutely stunned live on air when it came in Stanley was dropped, and then the entire week which followed Geelong supporters and the media just went in on Chris Scott. It was a bloodbath. Thankfully we came out and won the next week; that was the most I ever saw Scotty under the pump from supporters and the media. Selwood even mentioned after the SF win how he was happy to win for the coach after the hate he got all week. I literally only remember all this because it was just so randomly intense!

Love Scotty to absolute bits, but anyone who says dropping Stanley wasn't a super strange decision is rewriting history. It stands out even today because Scotty rarely makes mistakes, which is a good thing for us, having such an excellent senior coach.

Chris Scott is not the perfect coach of course, but he's pretty damn close to it! Imagine if we had Bevo, Hinkley or Ross lmao. You shudder to think. Love yah, Scotty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back