BigFooty Official Bigfooty Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 26 - Will Patton
  • Pick 26 - Adelaide - Will Patton (SA) - 192cm 79kg - General Defender

Patton wins out the battle of the Wills for Adelaides final pick in this mini-phantom. Do Adelaide have a few too many medium defenders? Potentially. Do I think Patton is worht the logjam? Undoubtedly. Patton reminds me of the best parts about Sicily, Doedee, Cummings, and Stewart as a great defender and brilliant option running back. Keeping iin mind Will is a good 7 years younger than Doedee he'll have the perfect master/apprentice experience learning and developing into a stalward partnership with Dawson, Michaelnanny, and Murray to anchor Adelaides backline. An adept interpreter of a ball in flight, Patton has the single most important attribute of a defender as he brings the ball to ground no matter what it takes. Following the trend of the last few picks, I see Adelaide as a great team who should take the best available talent. Bonus points that he's a local.

Smythe

Last edited:
    Pick 27 - Ollie Murphy
  • 64E0EFFE-EEF2-452C-88DD-422E312B4AE3.jpeg

Sydney select;

Ollie Murphy - Def​

Height: 200cm
    Weight: 85kg

This kid has shown traits that will get him drafted, is this too early, at this stage….maybe, but by the end of the year maybe not. Time to build a spine for the future and Ollie will help out in that department. Never afraid of the pack, he usually outmarks his opponents one on one or even when out numbered. Athletical and having a nous for the game and where to be positioned or what to do in any situation I have liked what I have seen from him. Not a big disposal winner but one of those very dependable key position defenders who you can trust. If he cannot mark the ball his long levers help him spoil it or go the big punch. Once he grows into his body who knows how good he will be (my belief is a very high ceiling) therefore I will grab him here to add to Sydney’s haul. No more medium defenders for Sydney, getting the big guy here.

Pick 28 - Nathan Philactides
  • 64760EC9-4319-4851-849E-34051921C43B.jpeg

Nathan on the left, Luke Teal on the right

Richmond select;​

Nathan Philactides - Def​

Height: 181cm
    Weight: 78kg

To me, he screams Richmond player. He already plays the game style Dimma would love. He loves to run, attack, is a good ball user, will have a bounce and deliver the ball to a good option, tackles ferociously and often whilst he also has the two way running that can nullify his opponents output.
    He can fight through or stand up in tackles generally keeping his hands free to dispose of the ball to a good option, he sums up those in tight contested plays very well and almost always picks out a team mate.
    He is a player that can always find a way to be involved and most, if not all of the time, he can make something happen for his team. High footy IQ and knows where to be, good disposal and his link up play (staying involved in the chain getting the ball forward) is excellent and its what makes his style of play very damaging.

eDPS

Pick 29 - Cooper Simpson and Pick 30 - Sam Frangalas
  • Pick 29 - Melbourne - Cooper Simpson - 182cm - Midfielder
    A skilful and tough midfielder with a booming kick Simpson is a very handy player who may not have the greatest athleticism but is such an impactful player who could perhaps play a Jack Graham type role early in his career.

Pick 30 - Essendon - Sam Frangalas - 187cm - Midfielder/Forward
    A powerful midfielder/forward who is strong overhead and a real impact player consistently getting over 20 disposals while also hitting the scoreboard. These types of players are hard to find and despite being rough around the edges especially by foot i feel he will be made for the next level.

Last edited:
    Pick 31 - Luamon Lual
  • Pick 31 - Collingwood selects Luamon Lual (GWV Rebels)

Will do full profile shortly. Athletic running defender with massive upside. Western Bulldogs can't match at this range, and should go higher than this for sure.

Pie 4 Life you're up next.

Pick 32 - Sam Van Rooyen
  • Pick 32 - Brisbane selects - Sam van Rooyen (Claremont/Western Australia)

Full profile to come but he's got plenty of potential and keen to see how he progresses.

TDS7

Pick 33 - Will Lorenz
  • Pick 33 - St. Kilda - Will Lorenz (VM) - 186cm 70kg - Midfielder/Forward

Continuing my love affair with hybrid midfield/forwards this draft, Will Lorenz heads down to Seaford. An astonishingly balanced and smooth player, Will floats through packs before bursting out onto his left boot and deftly pinpointing forward 50 targets regularly. Repeated efforts and defensive running are a staple of Lorenz's arsenal, racking up multiple possesions in a chain when he gets the opportunity to charge through. He's been unfortunately quiet this season as Oakleigh look to play him outside the centre square, but his future in the AFL will likely be as a stoppage player. He can spot up for a goal and hit targets inside 50, but the label of "Forward" goe a bit further than I'd suggest. He's great when he drags a mid down and makes them defend him one-on-one, but against a dedicated defender he isn't as deadly. Another prospect I could see filing in on St Kildas wing, running through the stoppages around the ground, and poping up for a goal or two in a few years time.

Monocle

Last edited:
    Pick 34 - Will Brown
  • Note to self: Cross these people off the Christmas Card list, these bastards steal my picks., Pie 4 Life a serial offender does it every year. ;)

Pie 4 Life
    TDS7

Pick # 34. West Coast. Will Brown. 194cm 86 kg. Midfield/Forward. Sandringham Dragons.

SD-Will-Brown.jpg

The Sandringham Dragons Captain has the capacity to play in a variety of roles and as such can play on all three lines, such versatility nudges him ahead of a couple of other prospects on my list.
    It's no secret that West Coast need to revamp their midfield, that exercise is already underway and Brown will certainly help the likes of Ginbey, Hewett going forward.
    Has good height to him and has the frame to add the necessary bulk that he is going to need.
    He is a pretty polished player with out excelling at anything in particular but also doesn't have too many weaknesses to his game.

I set out intending to bolster the midfield in this mock and thus far McKercher and Brown help do that.

goodcop badcop Doggies are up.

Pick 35 - Jake Smith
  • Pick 35 - Western Bulldogs

Jake Smith
    185cm, 79kg
    Midfielder

Primarily an inside mid at this stage, Jake is a very clean and composed player inside the contest with a good physical presence. He's building pretty well into this season increasing his disposal numbers and getting more outside ball which is good to see. He's also been very good defensively averaging 7 tackles a game. In terms of foot skills, he has a nice penetrating left foot which can really break the play open and it's nice to see him use it a bit more often as he can handball a lot. Some of the knocks I have is I'm not sure what other position he can play. Lacks a bit of goal sense, so probably not a forward and probably needs to improve his aerial game to be a backman.

With the loss of Dunkley and our other mids getting older, the dogs really do need to find replacements to develop into the future. This is probably a bit high for Smith, but we do have a need for defensive mids and I thought he was the best one available.

eDPS

Last edited:
    Pick 36 - Josh Docking
  • Pick 36 - Melbourne - Josh Docking - 179cm - Small Utility
    A quick, agile and skilful player who has played some strong games on a wing but could easily play in other positions aswell. He has so many AFL traits but will need to add some size to be AFL ready and once he is I see him being an AFL regular.

Getting in now, can’t allow him to just fall to the Saints for practically nothing

Macca19

Last edited:
    Pick 37 - Taylor Goad
  • Pick 37 - Port Adelaide

Taylor Goad - South Adelaide - 207cm - Ruckman

A 207cm Ruckman who is also the fastest player in the state this year. Yes please! He's as raw as sashimi but what he does show is some pure ruck nous mixed with some aggressiveness and an ability to use his body well. With the pace and aggressiveness, I see the potential in him not becoming a ruck but becoming a key defender as well. With Lycett likely to retire and Sam Hayes seemingly on the outer, there is room for another developing ruckman at the club. No matter where he develops, the Power will be hoping that the Goad becomes the GOAT.

Smythe

Pick 38 - Jack Callinan
  • 97351811-D2C4-4BE6-A69E-A3751293E145.jpeg
    Sydney select;
    Jack Callinan​

Height: 179cm
    Weight: 77kg

Jack can have a big say in games. Kicking goals left right and centre, the forward is most effective staying inside 50 and being that front and centre player crumbing off the big guys. He can also get out, take marks and have an impact further up the field and has been spending time through the middle at times this year.
    Monocle

Pick 39 - Clay Hall
  • Pick # 39. West Coast. Clay Hall. 190cm 85 kg. Midfielder. Peel Thunder.

Clay-Hall-Peel-Thunder-2023-WAFL-Colts-1024x769.jpg

This is a kid who will surprise at the Nationals as some ( not all ), currently wont know that much about.

Coming from good footy genes, being the son of former West Coast and Geelong player Derek Hall.
    He was a prominent member of the 2022 Peel Colts Premiership team, as a bottom ager.

Had a reasonable season in 2022, where he played as a midfielder thats was more outside than in , however he showed last season that he has no problem finding his own football.

Last season was just a tease as to his possible development, because this year as he has come on strongly and has now played three games in the League side against bigger bodied men and more than held his own.

Hand up here myself 🙋‍♂️ ... confession ..... I didn't see the rapid development he has shown, coming so quickly with him adapting to the League standard.

A left footer that has acquitted himself at a senior level already in 2023.
    Has played seniors and done well, last weekend he was dropped back to play Colts where against he cohort, he gathered 23 possessions 13 tackles and kicked 1 goal 1.

Heads up he will be a riser..... remember the name.

roos_fanatic08 You are up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 40 - Logan Morris
  • Pick # 39. West Coast. Clay Hall. 190cm 85 kg. Midfielder. Peel Thunder.

View attachment 1689379

This is a kid who will surprise at the Nationals as some ( not all ), currently wont know that much about.

Coming from good footy genes, being the son of former West Coast and Geelong player Derek Hall.
    He was a prominent member of the 2022 Peel Colts Premiership team, as a bottom ager.

Had a reasonable season in 2022, where he played as a midfielder thats was more outside than in , however he showed last season that he has no problem finding his own football.

Last season was just a tease as to his possible development, because this year as he has come on strongly and has now played three games in the League side against bigger bodied men and more than held his own.

Hand up here myself 🙋‍♂️ ... confession ..... I didn't see the rapid development he has shown, coming so quickly with him adapting to the League standard.

A left footer that has acquitted himself at a senior level already in 2023.
    Has played seniors and done well, last weekend he was dropped back to play Colts where against he cohort, he gathered 23 possessions 13 tackles and kicked 1 goal 1.

Heads up he will be a riser..... remember the name.

roos_fanatic08 You are up.

Damn you! He was going to be my selection.

Pick 40 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris - Western Jets - 191cm & 90kg

Personally, I have Morris well inside the top 30. So while it is a best available pick, it is also a pick for needs as North are desperate for developing talls.

It is well documented that Morris is only 191cm, and considered undersize for a key position player, but his body of work and consistent goal kicking form suggest there is more than enough talent to work with.

Morris plays the game as a traditional full forward, leading hard out of the square at the ball carrier. He has good game sense, timing, natural forward craft and attacks the footy with vigour. He has shown on many occasions that he also a contested marking threat. More importantly though, he is a consistent goal kicker. In his underage year he booted 39 goals in 18 games and he is looking like bettering that tally this year with 13 goals in only 4 matches. He made his VFL debut on the weekend and didn’t lower his colours kicking 2.1 from 4 marks playing as the deepest forward.

At AFL level I anticipate that he’ll end up somewhere between a Jack Darling or Tim Membrey style 2nd/3rd tall mobile key forward.

Davo-27 Freo’s turn.

Last edited:
    Pick 41 - Tom Anastasopolous
  • Pick 41 - Fremantle - Thomas Anastasopoulos - Geelong - 176cm

One of the best small forwards in the CTL, has a touch of Rachele about how he plays, has kicked a couple of bags of 5 goals and looks a great player, really excited to see him at the champs and Fremantle needs fire power although with JL being gun shy with youngsters he could have to wait a bit to get a chance.

I was also thinking Koen Sanchez from East Frem or Xavier Walsh from East Perth, but I went with the potential star small forward.

PMBangers you're up

Pick 42 - Harvey Johnston
    Pick 42 - GWS - Harvey Johnston
    Sandringham Dragons

Shocked to grab him in the third round, but hey, I'm not complaining

Despite taking Duursma and wanting a more sure thing for the midfield, Johnston is a player with too many traits to leave on the board for me here. Good user and decision maker regardless of whether he's playing on the inside or at half forward, Johnston's athleticism and general evasion is ridiculously eye catching to go with everything else. Currently I really only want to see an increase in production to fully commit to him as a first round prospect

Smythe Next up

Last edited:
    Pick 43 - Archie Roberts
  • Well just missed out on my next guy, damn you PMBangers, however….
    2BDE0B3A-05C3-459A-B068-533B94E18B2A.jpeg
    Sydney select;

ARCHIE ROBERTS Def/Mid​

Height: 184 cm
    Weight: 77 kg

Archie had a great year stepping up last year for the dragons, in the grand final, on AFL grand final day in the allstars match, for the all aus team against Carlton and against the young guns. He just keeps stepping up and is an excellent defender and attacker from the middle. Generally hits his targets and knows where to be around general play. Whether it is wet or dry his skills are sound, his intercept play is great and his booming left foot is reminiscent of Jayden short. Solid pick here for Sydney.

Pick 44 - Mahmoud Taha
  • 461338BF-CB42-44CA-951A-1F2BE030A4C7.jpeg
    Richmond select;

MAHMOUD TAHA - Mid/Fwd​

Height: 182 cm
    Weight: 75 kg

A midfielder or forward, Taha has made an excellent start to his year. He has logged over 30 disposals in each of his last two matches for the Cannons in the Coates Talent League, including having 12 clearances in a match against the Northern Territory. A member of the Bachar Houli Academy, he has averaged 24.2 disposals overall in four matches this season, with his thirst for the contest and sound decision making both features of his game. A member of Essendon’s NGA, the Bombers will be able to match a bid on Taha from a rival club if his name is called out after pick 40 in this year’s national draft….from the code sports article.

Taha can be explosive, fast, agile and slippery, and every game I have watched of his I have liked. He is a perfect player to have in those link up and deliver positions of either, half forward or off the half back line and also locks down on his opponent. Currently in the CTL he averages 24 pos, 3 marks and 6.5 tackles.

Up next us Macca19

Last edited:
    Pick 45 - George Stevens
  • Pick 45 - Port Adelaide

George Stevens - GWV Rebels - 189cm - Defender

There is a lot to like about George Stevens. Leadership in spades, classy skills by foot, is the half back general that lots of clubs seek, AFL body already, AFL Academy member, captained the Academy this year against Port Adelaide. Has had a good season with big numbers for GWV and strong performances for the academy. Can see him potentially slotting in straight away for Port Adelaide and could become a long term replacement for someone like Tom Jonas, with better skills and more attacking flair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 46 - Charlton Harrop
  • Pick 46 - Essendon - Charlton Harrop - 187cm - Forward
    A dynamic forward with plenty of speed and unlike many forwards of his type he is willing to tackle and put his body on the line. My hope long term is he could become a Beau McCreery style of forward able to really compete hard but also hit the scoreboard himself and set others up.
    Davo-27

Last edited:
    Pick 47 - Koen Sanchez
  • Pick 47 - Fremantle - Koen Sanchez - East Fremantle 178cm

forw/mid who has had some injury concerns the last couple of years, but is very talented, im curious to see him at the champs to see if he still has that fire in the belly to make it?, could turn out to be a bargain if he gets his body right and gets back to form.

Pie 4 Life you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 48 - Angus Hastie
  • Pick 48 - Brisbane - Angus Hastie (Geelong)

Covering both ends as per briztoon request. 😉 composed player out of defence and think he’s value around this range. Full profile to come.

Davo-27 up again.

Pick 49 - Billy Wilson
  • Pick 49 - Hawthorn - Billy Wilson - Dandenong 182cm

Hawthorn recruiters love a quick player and i think he has been great this year off half back and on a wing, an outside quick run with player with good skills, one of the best players in the 1st month of the CTL, i also liked what he produced last year in a couple of u17 rep games, i think he would do well at the combine, but even so its what he produces on field that matters most and he can be electric at times.

TDS7 you're up

Pick 50 - Xavier Walsh
  • Pick 50 - St. Kilda - Xavier Walsh (WA) - 195cm 91kg - Tall Utility

Walsh has had a tough run at it this season, but from the little I've seen of him Walsh is a good spec pick to shore up their tall stocks. A no-nonsense, well built forward who competes well in the air and throws his weight around the forwardline, he's someone who could plug any holes the Saints seem to keep finding in their key tall and back stocks. Speaking of the backline, I'd be really interested to see if his strength and attack on the footy translate to defense. Plenty of upside as well, you never really know what the future holds for tall prospects but he's as good a shot as any to make it.

Monocle

Last edited:
    Pick 51 - Arie Schoenmaker
  • Pick 51. West Coast. Arie Schoenmaker. 195 cm 89 kg. Defender. Tasmania /Launceston.

gettyimages-1243463116-1024x1024.jpg

Poised decision maker out of defence that had excellent foot skill to hit targets.
    His left foot is a weapon and whilst he isn't blessed with burst speed, he has enough pace to compliment his head speed, to see him be a very effective player.

Has high footy IQ and is a quality rebounding defender who's ability to read the play is a point of difference and assists his intercepting marking ability.

With the new game style of attacking defenders, setting up forward play with rebound, overlap and switching play, decision making and the ability to hit targets has become crucial.

After having taken a good feed of mids with my previous picks, I now take a defender with some class to his game.

When I first spotted him he was in the 189 cm / 190 cm "ish" range ... and I thought he was a great third tall type, he has now grown and is 195 .... not sure just where he plays with this added height and good wing span, but I suspect its still as the third tall as his intercepting marking ability will create some options for the coaches, trusted to develop him and maximise his talent. Should he grow some more then he becomes even more an attractive pick.

Some may say he is too similar to Basso, why duplicate ? but I am happy to take a left footed version, as I rate him as great value here with a late pick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back