BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

If Big Ant are working on the next rugby game, perhaps this means the door has now opened just a crack.

As much as I like Evolution (I think it's pretty good so far), it clearly has the same engine as Live 2. It's going to need an overhaul one day, and I would hazard a guess that WW building a new engine from scratch may not be cheaper than BA customising the rugby engine.

Very early to be having this sort of discussion, but money talks as we know.

Last edited:
What was the reasoning for big ant to stop making AFL games, have I missed something here?
TruBlu: We're gonna give you half the time and half the money to make another AFL game.
BigAnt: That will result in a s**t game. No.

TruBlu: Wicked Witch, would you do it for that money in that time?
Wicked Witch: Well I guess we could just port AFL Wii over?
TruBlu: You've got the job.

If Big Ant are working on the next rugby game, perhaps this means the door has now opened just a crack.

As much as I like Evolution (I think it's pretty good so far), it clearly has the same engine as Live 2. It's going to need an overhaul one day, and I would hazard a guess that WW building a new engine from scratch may not be cheaper than BA customising the rugby engine.

Very early to be having this sort of discussion, but money talks as we know.
I just wish Tru Blu responded to any fan interaction whatsoever. It's not Wicked Witch's fault they can't compete, it's Tru Blu's fault for (to quote idiotic footy journalists) giving them the keys to the Ferrari. They're the ones who need to get the picture that continuing down this road is the worst option for all considered but they're also the ones who won't engage one tiny bit with the public.

Did anyone in this thread try and play Bradman? It was an unplayable horrible mess released as a cash grab for Xmas. Sure they patched it to be decent enough now but there is still holes in it.

Did anyone in this thread try and play Bradman? It was an unplayable horrible mess released as a cash grab for Xmas. Sure they patched it to be decent enough now but there is still holes in it.
Yeah I've got it. First few weeks I barely touched it because of the get best issue, but the gameplay was far from unplayable. The logo and stats stuff was/is a dog's breakfast, but batting and bowling both feel better than they did in DBC14. Was definitely rushed out too soon though.

Difference with Bradman 17 is that DBC14 was such a great game (and well supported) that people are willing to put good faith in Big Ant because they have the runs on the board/a proven track record. Wicked Witch don't, they're a bit like Kurt Tippett. Signing contracts on potential and we keep hearing about how great they're going to be and how they'll tear the game to shreds but it just never happens.

Unplayable? lol.

Please go into detail..
Ok.

It kept crashing constantly in the first few days it came out.

Hence. Unplayable.

And that's not even going into the glitches like not being able to hit the ball to massive areas of the ground that didn't make it unplayable but certainly reduced the enjoyment.

As I said they patched it but it was garbage when it came out.

Hell stats still don't work properly.

Ok.

It kept crashing constantly in the first few days it came out.

Hence. Unplayable.

And that's not even going into the glitches like not being able to hit the ball to massive areas of the ground that didn't make it unplayable but certainly reduced the enjoyment.

As I said they patched it but it was garbage when it came out.

Hell stats still don't work properly.

I was actually pretty disappointed at how buggy Don Bradman Cricket 17 was. Don Bradman Cricket 14 is a much more stable game with all the features working as they should.

I think there's a lot of revisionist history on how good Big Ants AFL game was which in part was because AFL Live 2 was so terrible people started to remember the first one differently. When the first one came out it got the same good bagging the current one has*

*I don't own the current one yet so I'm not defending it and I hate loathed AFL Live 2 made it through 1/2 a game before never touching it again.

I think there's a lot of revisionist history on how good Big Ants AFL game was which in part was because AFL Live 2 was so terrible people started to remember the first one differently. When the first one came out it got the same good bagging the current one has*

*I don't own the current one yet so I'm not defending it and I hate loathed AFL Live 2 made it through 1/2 a game before never touching it again.
I don't remember it any differently. I still play it from time to time and it's still as good as I remember.

And we also have the added benefit of seeing how good DBC, Lacrosse and Rugby are getting under BA. WW are 6 attempts in on one sport and still can't get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Big Ant perhaps make a game using the Don Bradman concept, maybe, just maybe..

Also, mini games, could BA get back in by making some awesome mini games or tabletop versions of AFL.

NBA Jam, AFL take on that, a ridiculously fun take on the game, every goal gives you points and colourful power ups..

make it happen Tru Blu + AFL..

Last edited:
There's no comparison between an AFL game, and sports that are infinitely simpler to represent. Being good at Rugby and Cricket isn't selling it to me.

I don't remember it any differently. I still play it from time to time and it's still as good as I remember.

And we also have the added benefit of seeing how good DBC, Lacrosse and Rugby are getting under BA. WW are 6 attempts in on one sport and still can't get it right.

That doesn't mean that WW will NEVER get it right. It just takes more time for some developers to reach the same level as others (i.e everyone progresses at different rates).

While AFL is one of the toughest sports to represent in a video game, I would not belittle other professional sports to the point of saying they are infinitely easier to represent, particularly Rugby League, and especially Lacrosse.

I tell ya, whoever mention Ultimate Team for AFL evolution is a legend!!

If they kept the current AFL evolution, but incorporated Ultimate Team / My Team 2K/Madden/fifa style, using footy cards, and challenges and etc etc, I would spend an outright ridiculous fortune on that, just like i have for Madden and NBA 2k17

Oh we could dream, but seriously Wicked Witch, you wanna make some $$$, Bring Ultimate Team with Pack Ripping in, It is a legit fool proof money making garuntee, I know as a consumer, Id get addicted to that $hit!!

I tell ya, whoever mention Ultimate Team for AFL evolution is a legend!!

If they kept the current AFL evolution, but incorporated Ultimate Team / My Team 2K/Madden/fifa style, using footy cards, and challenges and etc etc, I would spend an outright ridiculous fortune on that, just like i have for Madden and NBA 2k17

Oh we could dream, but seriously Wicked Witch, you wanna make some $$$, Bring Ultimate Team with Pack Ripping in, It is a legit fool proof money making garuntee, I know as a consumer, Id get addicted to that $hit!!

Please don't give them any ideas. They probably would do it. They'd incorporate microtransaction bullshit to try to siphon more money out of people while not bothering to fix the shoddy gameplay or numerous glitches. It's already bad enough they want people to pay $100 to begin with, and then hold fixes to ransom until they flog off enough to make a profit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back