Bendigo FL Thread 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big congratulations to Jas Griffin on a wonderful BFNL career. Champion player, champion bloke.

You're a long time retired mate, so there's no shame in letting the itchy feet convince you to put the boots on again around June/July - just ask Dekka Filo :)

D Filo - retired, then came back and won a Premiership
N Carter - asked the Talking Goat to do a piece on him for his farewell game in 08, then came back and won a Premiership

and I'm sure there's many more stories like that, so reckon Jason should consider it if he misses it too much :) at 31, he's not too old

Holy Hell!! I knew he had lost motivation but I didn't expect Griff to retire! I'll have to get onto the bloke, Inglewood takes a lot less committment than square!;)

I would reckon every other non BFL club in the area would be saying the same thing. Bet he still gets a lot of calls from clubs telling him happily that he can only train one night week.

Seriously though. Well done to him and I really liked the fact that he has done it knowing that there is every chance that they could win it again this year.

Played against him when he was at Kerang and he plays the game the way it is meant to be played:thumbsu:

Square were going to play an intraclub on Friday night but decided against it. They are playing Yarrawonga at Yarrawonga this weekend I believe.

Strathfieldsaye Storm takes the trip to our lovely cousins in Ballarat this Saturday to play North City (or the Northies as the Addy used to call them - WTF was the Goat thinking in that nickname ?)

Will advise of result in due course......

A big congratulations to Jas Griffin on a wonderful BFNL career. Champion player, champion bloke.

You're a long time retired mate, so there's no shame in letting the itchy feet convince you to put the boots on again around June/July - just ask Dekka Filo :)

I guess he goes out on a a high after winning the 2009 Flag with Sqyare. Enjoy retirement if that is possible in your early 30's;)

Strath will be Playing North City down there this weekend I think as well.

Wasnt D Filo back wearing #44 by about round 3?????

Strathfieldsaye Storm takes the trip to our lovely cousins in Ballarat this Saturday to play North City (or the Northies as the Addy used to call them - WTF was the Goat thinking in that nickname ?)

Will advise of result in due course......
Stormy, I didn't give them that name, that's what I was told to call them from the club

Any chance of posting your 2010 ladder goat? Someone who has a finger on the pulse it is always good to get a prediction!
just had 6 weeks holiday kingy, so missed a bit of what has been going on
my ladder would be:
Golden Square
Eaglehawk
South Bendigo
Sandhurst
Kangaroo Flat
Maryborough
Gisborne
Strathfieldsaye
Castlemaine
Kyneton

maybe swap gissy and maryborough around

Castlemaine play Maldon this Saturday and Calivil the following, both at Maldon.

Struggling to get a full squad together this week with summer sports still going.

my ladder would be:
Golden Square
Eaglehawk
South Bendigo
Sandhurst
Kangaroo Flat
Maryborough
Gisborne
Strathfieldsaye
Castlemaine
Kyneton

maybe swap gissy and maryborough around

I reckon the Kyneton fans might be a bit upset by your prediction considering how many good players they reckon they have picked up.
I think that Kyneton might finish a little bit higher and Strathfieldsaye might finish a bit lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bad Goat, but I think there will be a few upset wins this year by the bottom 4 clubs which might mean a more even year. No formula used here, but I reckon the ladder might go something like;

Golden Square 14-16wins (recruited loads of talent to cover only a few losses)
Eaglehawk 12-15 wins (got a heap of big guns back)
Sandhurst 12-15 wins (retained 95% of list, recruited very well to address 2009's weak areas)
South Bendigo 12-15 wins (recruited a couple, but depth has taken a hit)
Kangaroo Flat 9-12 wins (no Downie, Ford, Findlay, possibly West? and a few fringe players gone)
Gisborne 5-9 wins (well documented exodus, in's are from Riddell FL)
Maryborough 4-5 wins (stocked up from MCDFL, always tough at home)
Kyneton 4-5 wins (great recruiting effort with small budget, tough at home)
Castlemaine 3-4 wins (no recruits of note, always manage an upset)
Strathfieldsaye 3-4 wins (good small fleet, missing key position options)

Not bad Goat, but I think there will be a few upset wins this year by the bottom 4 clubs which might mean a more even year. No formula used here, but I reckon the ladder might go something like;

Golden Square 14-16wins (recruited loads of talent to cover only a few losses)
Eaglehawk 12-15 wins (got a heap of big guns back)
Sandhurst 12-15 wins (retained 95% of list, recruited very well to address 2009's weak areas)
South Bendigo 12-15 wins (recruited a couple, but depth has taken a hit)
Kangaroo Flat 9-12 wins (no Downie, Ford, Findlay, possibly West? and a few fringe players gone)
Gisborne 5-9 wins (well documented exodus, in's are from Riddell FL)
Maryborough 4-5 wins (stocked up from MCDFL, always tough at home)
Kyneton 4-5 wins (great recruiting effort with small budget, tough at home)
Castlemaine 3-4 wins (no recruits of note, always manage an upset)
Strathfieldsaye 3-4 wins (good small fleet, missing key position options)

good work there doc, like your analysis
i reckon you've sold maryborough a bit short with 4-5 wins, think they will win more
throw a blanket over kyneton, castlemaine and strathfieldsaye, as for the bottom 3 spots, won't be a lot between them.
reckon sandhurst is good enough to finish top 3

i reckon you've sold maryborough a bit short with 4-5 wins, think they will win more
throw a blanket over kyneton, castlemaine and strathfieldsaye, as for the bottom 3 spots, won't be a lot between them.

yep, fair enough... Maryborough should sit in the 5-9 level with Gisborne.

Fisher did wonders with what he had to work with last year. If he regularly gets 40+ to training this year... well, yeah, I agree Goat.

Their last seven rounds were impressive
Rd 12 - won Cmaine (a) 29pts
Rd 13 - won E/hawk (h) 61pts
Rd 14 - loss South (qeo) 26pts (respectable)
Rd 15 - won S/saye (h) 32pts
Rd 16 - won Kyn (a) 35pts
Rd 17 - loss Square (h) 32pts (respectable)
Rd 18 - loss Kflat (a) 6pts (should have been an upset)

Agree on South & Kang Flat dropping more games this year. Only as good as your bottom 10 players and both these clubs have had some excellent fringe senior / solid reserves players leave for more regular senior opportunities elsewhere at Heathcote & Loddon leagues.

will post the updated INS/OUTS over the next few days

I think the really good thing is at the start of the 2010 season there is not a team you would pick as a certainty to finish last and all the teams that finished outside the five last year would give themselves some sort of chance of making the five this year.

I think South are the team under the most pressure as they are getting towards the last roll of the dice for a flag with their current coaching staff and senior players.

What would have them be called then Storm Boy??

Well the obvious one that I would suggest is Nth City Roosters, as they are afterall, a by-product of the Nth Ballarat Roosters. That way the Rooster nickname is linked to both the BalFL and VFL affilliates.

Other suggestions would be:

Nth City Knights (sounds like a pop band I know !)
Nth City Miners (as in Ballarat Miners)
Nth City Magpies (using the black and white theme).

I know that some of these nickname suggestions cross boundaries with other clubs, but you only have to look at own backyard to see that it doesn't seem to cause an issue (ie M'borough/C'maine Magpies, Gisborne/G Square Bulldogs)...

Happy to hear other suggestions for our Nth City cousins.....

Well the obvious one that I would suggest is Nth City Roosters, as they are afterall, a by-product of the Nth Ballarat Roosters. That way the Rooster nickname is linked to both the BalFL and VFL affilliates.

Other suggestions would be:

Nth City Knights (sounds like a pop band I know !)
Nth City Miners (as in Ballarat Miners)
Nth City Magpies (using the black and white theme).

I know that some of these nickname suggestions cross boundaries with other clubs, but you only have to look at own backyard to see that it doesn't seem to cause an issue (ie M'borough/C'maine Magpies, Gisborne/G Square Bulldogs)...

Happy to hear other suggestions for our Nth City cousins.....

really stormer, who cares what we could call them, they've been gone for a couple of years

Castlemaine won comfortably against a fairly young Maldon side yesterday in a good 6 quarter hit out.

Playing Calivil next week.

I've been told that Square defeated Yarrawonga by 3 or 4 goals with both teams missing about 4 players. With Yarrawonga one of the favourites for the flag in their league it is a great win for square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back