Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly giving up the hobby guys. My relationship with alcohol is not healthy and I need to give it away. In the 25 years I've been drinking I can safely say 90% of the moments I regret are linked to booze in some way or another and it's time to move on.

Sadly giving up the hobby guys. My relationship with alcohol is not healthy and I need to give it away. In the 25 years I've been drinking I can safely say 90% of the moments I regret are linked to booze in some way or another and it's time to move on.
Can’t you at least do the birthday cake beer first?!

Nah seriously, definitely understandable, I’ve felt the same way a few times before. Maybe you can use your gear to make some kombucha or something?

I thought the Aussie brewing forums would've cracked that case long ago
Plenty of forums asking for a recipe but generally the responses are all different and they say something like “brewed this, tasted good but not exactly the same as coopers stout”

90% of the forum posts refer to their extract recipe which of course is on the coopers website and easy to replicate

Plenty of forums asking for a recipe but generally the responses are all different and they say something like “brewed this, tasted good but not exactly the same as coopers stout”

90% of the forum posts refer to their extract recipe which of course is on the coopers website and easy to replicate

Wonder if the taste doesn't quite stack up due to Cooper's having their own yeast. Would you bother propagating yeast from stubbies for the experiment or not taking it that seriously?

Wonder if the taste doesn't quite stack up due to Cooper's having their own yeast. Would you bother propagating yeast from stubbies for the experiment or not taking it that seriously?
Nah that’s the easy bit! I’ve already started collecting dregs. For science reasons I had to decant 90% of the liquid in the bottle into a separate glass

Coopers culture fermented like a mad bitch. Absolutely smashed through my stout. Doesn’t taste as Coopers-y as I expected - more like a fairly standard estery English ale yeast. But still good and still more like Coopers than something clean like US-05. No doubt Coopers would have a certain pitching ratio to bring out their signature flavour.

Going to enter the beer in a stout comp but it’s only in 3 weeks and definitely not long enough for it to condition properly. See what happens anyway!

-
Love
Your blogger
FKASC

How's things gents?

I typed out about 500 words about what I've been doing with myself since I stopped drinking and then realised how much of a w***er I sounded.

I've sold the majority of my HB gear except some bits and pieces but keeping the kegerator for sparkling water and maybe some post-mix come summer.

Have to live vicariously through other posters in here now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I typed out about 500 words about what I've been doing with myself since I stopped drinking and then realised how much of a w***er I sounded.

I've sold the majority of my HB gear except some bits and pieces but keeping the kegerator for sparkling water and maybe some post-mix come summer.

Have to live vicariously through other posters in here now.

How's the journey been mate? I did actually type out are you still off the froffs but didn't want to just outright say that in case you'd decided on a different approach.

Did you sell on the FB group or Gumtree? I've still got a fair bit of stuff myself. Not sure why I bother holding onto it. The kegs, co2, reg I'll keep. Pluto gun too. And I've got my big insulated wheelie bin with the font on it so I'm sorted for parties if I ever have parties again, but it's questionable I'll ever brew again. If I do I'm sure it'll be after buying a new kit.

How's the journey been mate? I did actually type out are you still off the froffs but didn't want to just outright say that in case you'd decided on a different approach.

Did you sell on the FB group or Gumtree? I've still got a fair bit of stuff myself. Not sure why I bother holding onto it. The kegs, co2, reg I'll keep. Pluto gun too. And I've got my big insulated wheelie bin with the font on it so I'm sorted for parties if I ever have parties again, but it's questionable I'll ever brew again. If I do I'm sure it'll be after buying a new kit.

Not bad thanks for asking, just trying not to be hard on myself for adjusting by taking the transition pretty easy. Getting back into all the stuff I put off for the past 20 years before the chances pass me by and it closely resembles a midlife crisis unfortunately.

Yeah all of it through the FB group. Not surprisingly some serious dickheads on there - "hold this for a week for me" then cancel on the day of pick up. Most other blokes were okay. Got rid of most stuff with little trouble.

Not bad thanks for asking, just trying not to be hard on myself for adjusting by taking the transition pretty easy. Getting back into all the stuff I put off for the past 20 years before the chances pass me by and it closely resembles a midlife crisis unfortunately.

Yeah all of it through the FB group. Not surprisingly some serious dickheads on there - "hold this for a week for me" then cancel on the day of pick up. Most other blokes were okay. Got rid of most stuff with little trouble.

So far so good, that's what I like to hear! Are you flying solo or got others who have decided to go that way as well? I've done the odd month off here and there for shiggles, mainly because I nerd out on whatever numbers and data I can get my hands on and so I like to see how much more my fitness and composition can improve when I go flat out for a month taking it all seriously. Significantly harder dodging the bevs when the misso is still tucking in.

PHBS is so good for information but there's a lot of dodgy back yard tight ass types on there too.

So far so good, that's what I like to hear! Are you flying solo or got others who have decided to go that way as well? I've done the odd month off here and there for shiggles, mainly because I nerd out on whatever numbers and data I can get my hands on and so I like to see how much more my fitness and composition can improve when I go flat out for a month taking it all seriously. Significantly harder dodging the bevs when the misso is still tucking in.

PHBS is so good for information but there's a lot of dodgy back yard tight ass types on there too.

Wife has cut back significantly, but not sure what she's doing honestly - not really fussed TBH - going to follow it through in my own or not.

Worst part is I associate almost everything with alcohol in some way; cold rainy night? Love a stout by the fire. Friday arvo after work? Handful of nice cold ones to unwind. Delicious dinner? Choose some booze to pair with it. Etc etc. Working through and beyond that these days, but drinking a lot of soda drinks to me through.

Best part is if you want real fitness gains then they come from proper diet. And though I've been able to (at times) walk the tight rope of booze and exercise in the past I think my body is now at the point in it being one or the other.

Wife has cut back significantly, but not sure what she's doing honestly - not really fussed TBH - going to follow it through in my own or not.

Worst part is I associate almost everything with alcohol in some way; cold rainy night? Love a stout by the fire. Friday arvo after work? Handful of nice cold ones to unwind. Delicious dinner? Choose some booze to pair with it. Etc etc. Working through and beyond that these days, but drinking a lot of soda drinks to me through.

Best part is if you want real fitness gains then they come from proper diet. And though I've been able to (at times) walk the tight rope of booze and exercise in the past I think my body is now at the point in it being one or the other.

I listened to Nathan Buckley's podcast on Dyl and Friends yesterday and it was really insightful. He talks about this one point I've noticed within myself that people heap this pressure and expectation around kick-starting a new diet and exercising and sleep and all this stuff, it ends up seeming monumental.

Rather than that, he says he just goes for a run. That leads to a better mental state throughout the day and because you've invested in yourself you're much less likely to eat s**t and undo the hard work. I'm definitely like that in both regards. It all seems too much to get started sometimes, even though I know once I jump on the bike and go for a ride my habits and choices that day will closely align with getting the most out of the exercise I committed to.

Absolutely get your point about booze association, I am exactly the same. Had a great day at work? Beer to celebrate. Had a shocking day at work? Beer to commiserate. Hosting a dinner party? Drinks. Friday night? Drinks. Game of footy on TV? Drinks. Classic Aussie culture.

I'm probably lucky I have little ones to chase after who I literally have to chase after. It takes me about an hour to drink a beer and it's been that way since 2018.

Probably the best thread on this s**t heap of a website

Good chat

I can’t talk because I am at my homebrew club’s winter festival party. BUT - I agree with a lot of the sentiments. I have regretted a lot in the past for things I’ve done when I’ve drunk too much, and I wish other people in my family didn’t drink so much. BUT - throughout history drugs and alcohol are intrinsically linked with cultural and social life, it’s just quite hard to maintain that balance.

It’s good to get a different perspective though because I feel pretty unfit at the moment and by aligning my hobbies with brewing I’m probably creating a bit of a vicious cycle.

Hopefully both of youse will one day rekindle your brewing enjoyment even if it’s just a one off thing with some mates.

Probably the best thread on this s**t heap of a website

Good chat

I can’t talk because I am at my homebrew club’s winter festival party. BUT - I agree with a lot of the sentiments. I have regretted a lot in the past for things I’ve done when I’ve drunk too much, and I wish other people in my family didn’t drink so much. BUT - throughout history drugs and alcohol are intrinsically linked with cultural and social life, it’s just quite hard to maintain that balance.

It’s good to get a different perspective though because I feel pretty unfit at the moment and by aligning my hobbies with brewing I’m probably creating a bit of a vicious cycle.

Hopefully both of youse will one day rekindle your brewing enjoyment even if it’s just a one off thing with some mates.

I have the odd brew day with the fellas. Love it, just difficult to commit the time on my own, particularly with all grain, and especially with kids. And do I want to involve my children with it? Probably not, for various reasons. I should be teaching them how to grow coriander and chillis or something.

Actually due to head bush somewhere and do a camping brew in the next couple of months.

I have the odd brew day with the fellas. Love it, just difficult to commit the time on my own, particularly with all grain, and especially with kids. And do I want to involve my children with it? Probably not, for various reasons. I should be teaching them how to grow coriander and chillis or something.

Actually due to head bush somewhere and do a camping brew in the next couple of months.
That’d be sick! Bush beer

Greetings gents, been some time since I ducked my head in here.
All the chatter about going sober is begging for a Grandpa Simpson about turn in the bar gif.
Good on you but Bender, I dont have the will power and honstely speaking- just the will to give up the booze. Just love beer too much. I hear you on the fitness but, Im 45 today and getting fatter by the year. It probably doenst help that Ive been investing more time in cooking pizzas and bread and smoked meats and all that good s**t. Along with a foot injury, Im primed to hit 100kg by the time Im 50 unless I make some changes.

Anyway enough introspection. Iv'e brewed a bit, mostly my standards, American Reds, NEIPas, got a decent POrter on at the moment and been doing more Lagers- along the lines of a Helles i suppose. I did a Gingernut biscuit ale a few months back- that was pretty good.

Greetings gents, been some time since I ducked my head in here.
All the chatter about going sober is begging for a Grandpa Simpson about turn in the bar gif.
Good on you but Bender, I dont have the will power and honstely speaking- just the will to give up the booze. Just love beer too much. I hear you on the fitness but, Im 45 today and getting fatter by the year. It probably doenst help that Ive been investing more time in cooking pizzas and bread and smoked meats and all that good s**t. Along with a foot injury, Im primed to hit 100kg by the time Im 50 unless I make some changes.

Anyway enough introspection. Iv'e brewed a bit, mostly my standards, American Reds, NEIPas, got a decent POrter on at the moment and been doing more Lagers- along the lines of a Helles i suppose. I did a Gingernut biscuit ale a few months back- that was pretty good.
Nice. I’m brewing a coopers pale clone this weekend to use the yeast again, it’s part of an all-australian brew exercise I’m doing with my homebrew club.

the coopers stout clone still needs a couple of weeks of conditioning but it’s tasting decent.

I should do a US red ale. Such a good style.

Back