Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brewed 2 batches this morning; Schwarzbier and Australian lager.

Mashed in at 6am, finished tidying up by 2pm (some exercise and other chores done whilst waiting for the mashes and other downtime). Usually start at 5am and finish around 10:30am for one batch, so another 2.5hrs for 2 batches (saving 2.5 aswell is pretty decent), cuts out a whole set up and pack up on a different day. Will likely do it again in 5 weeks or so and smash out an IPA and Stout and have a nice bit of stored beer for winter.

Tight squeeze with 2 fermenters jammed (literally) together in the fridge but will make it work. TBH though lager yeast is such a campaigner and so much work for making starters, and 2 had been so s**t.

20230407_190317.jpg

Brewed 2 batches this morning; Schwarzbier and Australian lager.

Mashed in at 6am, finished tidying up by 2pm (some exercise and other chores done whilst waiting for the mashes and other downtime). Usually start at 5am and finish around 10:30am for one batch, so another 2.5hrs for 2 batches (saving 2.5 aswell is pretty decent), cuts out a whole set up and pack up on a different day. Will likely do it again in 5 weeks or so and smash out an IPA and Stout and have a nice bit of stored beer for winter.

Tight squeeze with 2 fermenters jammed (literally) together in the fridge but will make it work. TBH though lager yeast is such a campaigner and so much work for making starters, and 2 had been so s**t.

View attachment 1653025

I have never brewed while not also drinking beer. Well done, I think!

I have never brewed while not also drinking beer. Well done, I think!

Pretty sure this is one of 3 out of 40 batches so far when I haven't been hungover. Certainly a different ball game in terms of energy.

I was also hungover today and decided late to brew a baltic porter for a homebrew club project. Came out at 1.077. Absolute prick of a brew day because of the massive grain bill being too big for the robo, but efficiency was higher than I expected.

Bender_ im using 3 packs of Diamond lager yeast (dry) for this batch. I think it’ll be enough. Apparently it’s quite a good lager yeast and cheap, so it might be an alternative to the huge liquid yeast starter.

I'm leaning towards dried yeast these days. The viability of some of the fresh yeasts over here is questionable after all the travelling it does to get here.

Have you tried any of the Bluestone range yet FKASC?
Yeah just once, recently. Did it’s job but I messed that beer up a bit so can’t comment on the flavour of the yeast. It’s mostly all the same strains as you get from Wyeast / White Labs etc as far as I know, but being packed in Melbourne it’d be way fresher and you get more yeast cells in a pack than the imported brands. The owner is a nice dude and often sponsors stuff for our homebrew club.

But yeah these days unless you want a specific flavour profile dry yeasts are much less effing around.

I also don’t really ever do any of the yeast calculators - I just make sure I do a 1.5L starter for any liquid strain and tend to pitch two packs of dry unless it’s a lower grav

(Log in to remove this ad.)

efficiency was higher than I expected.
Ended up getting almost 3 more litres in the fermenter than I expected, at only one gravity point less. Smashed my eff by approx 10%

This is despite one of the most chaotic brew days, having to pull out 2 litres of mash and cook that on the stove, because the robobrew couldn’t handle the volume. Maybe I should do it more often

1: Beerfarm
2: Rocky Ridge
3: Wild Hop
4: Cheeky Monkey
5: Eagle Bay

👌

Cheers

I’ve had a couple of the beer farm brews.

Quite like them so maybe I’ll pay them a visit

Particularly
Cheers

I'd say their IPL hits the perfect balance between lager lovers like you and beer w*nkers like FKASC - crafty yet crisp.

s**t me too. Sounds like we both finished the w*nker cycle and are back at square one.

Well went back to drinking lagers at least

The rest is a bit presumptive

Cheers

Jump on the relative websites or give em a tinkle before you hop in the car, mate. A lot of these places sell bookings in advance. Save yourself the disappointment and try to secure a table before you make your moves.

Wild Hop is the best spot if you're eating too. Otherwise you'll get good beers at all of em. Rocky Ridge is a back track to Busso but not far for you in the scheme of things. It's a cellar door not a brewery though so if you want stainless tank pr0n that won't be the spot.

Back