• Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just entered a couple of beers in a Belgian beer comp for shits and gigs
You have to include the entry fee and entry form on a lackey band
View attachment 1667096
So this entry was actually the same beer in two different categories.

One was Saison (which is what it is) but because it’s fermented with a blend of funky wild yeasts, I decided to enter it into the catch all ‘Belgian Specialty Beer’ category, which is where you’re meant to add beers that don’t really have a specific category. The guidelines for the Saison category said that it shouldn’t have wild yeast character and if you made the Saison using wild yeast (brettanomyces) then you should enter it in the catch all miscellaneous category instead.

So I figured I’d enter it in both and see how different the judging was, for shits and gigs.

Turns out I got 3rd place for the beer in the ‘Belgian Specialty’ misc category.

But for the ‘Saison’ category I got 1st place and it ended up being the highest scoring beer in the whole competition, which means I get a ‘champion beer’ trophy

This despite the guidelines saying not to enter a brett saison in to the saison category lol

I don’t think I broke any rules, just decided not to follow the style guide. But it clearly still impressed the judges :moustache:

At least someone’s getting some silverware this year…

One was Saison (which is what it is) but because it’s fermented with a blend of funky wild yeasts, I decided to enter it into the catch all ‘Belgian Specialty Beer’ category, which is where you’re meant to add beers that don’t really have a specific category. The guidelines for the Saison category said that it shouldn’t have wild yeast character and if you made the Saison using wild yeast (brettanomyces) then you should enter it in the catch all miscellaneous category instead.

So I figured I’d enter it in both and see how different the judging was, for shits and gigs.

Turns out I got 3rd place for the beer in the ‘Belgian Specialty’ misc category.

But for the ‘Saison’ category I got 1st place and it ended up being the highest scoring beer in the whole competition, which means I get a ‘champion beer’ trophy

This despite the guidelines saying not to enter a brett saison in to the saison category lol

I don’t think I broke any rules, just decided not to follow the style guide. But it clearly still impressed the judges :moustache:

Top work, congratulations!

Good stuff!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birthday - lots of left over lemon & coconut I'm thinking about adding to a oatmeal stout.
I was actually being facetious and thought you were talking about yeast cake.

Nah, I’ve never done anything that adventurous tbh! I know a lot of breweries do s**t like that with their pastry stouts though. Not sure how the butter and stuff would go?

I was actually being facetious and thought you were talking about yeast cake.

Nah, I’ve never done anything that adventurous tbh! I know a lot of breweries do s**t like that with their pastry stouts though. Not sure how the butter and stuff would go?

Oh hahahaha nah legit question.

After conferring with the Perth HB Share boys on FB it seems I'll just be dumping the entire of the cake directly into my stout wort. As mentioned by FKASC the fats and oils in it will likely kill any head retention but I'm not hugely fussed with it considering it's a dessert stout.

A couple of weeks away from brewing it - will keep you updated.

After conferring with the Perth HB Share boys on FB it seems I'll just be dumping the entire of the cake directly into my stout wort. As mentioned by FKASC the fats and oils in it will likely kill any head retention but I'm not hugely fussed with it considering it's a dessert stout.

A couple of weeks away from brewing it - will keep you updated.
Intrigued!

reckon you’ll add it pre-fermentation? Or wait til it’s done like dry hopping

I've found that the flavour results tend to work out a bit better for me when with dry additions when part of the addition is fermentable at least. Stuff like tea and spice I prefer in the boil just for sanitation sake and the flavour will usually hold through fermentation.

Likely to cut it into smaller pieces and put in a BIAB mesh bag into the wort. Will be interesting to see how much chunky bits get through and may require a second sieving before bottling without exposing to much oxygen hopefully.

Any risk of infection? Could chop it up and freeze it to kill bugs first.

Are you just adding the sponge or icing too? I reckon chunks of sponge would go alright but any cake adjuncts like icing are going to * with it a bit.

You then need to consider yield as the cake will pinch plenty.

Any risk of infection? Could chop it up and freeze it to kill bugs first.

Are you just adding the sponge or icing too? I reckon chunks of sponge would go alright but any cake adjuncts like icing are going to * with it a bit.

You then need to consider yield as the cake will pinch plenty.

Put it in the chest freezer last night. The icing vs just sponge was also still something I'm considering, it's four layered so should be easy enough to chop/separate when the time comes - removing the icing will legit drop it down to about a 3rd of the size which should reduce the loss of the final batch.

Another plus with removing the icing - which is quite sickly sweet - is the lower likelihood of producing a sickly sweet beer. Dessert stouts for me are usually one and done an evening. I'd prefer not to have that for a 40 pint batch really and have something a bit more mild in terms of flavour.

Part of me wants to make it the best possible by removing any parts that may compromise the head/clarity/viscosity, then another part of me just wants to see what happens if I just dump the whole thing in.
Unless the base beer is precious to you, I’d be leaning toward the latter just for curiosity’s sake!

Back