Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct

It's biased

But was made aware it was close last season to being done to Hawks, and that hasn't changed
I'd almost put money on the fact that Bevo will not be our coach next season regardless of out come this season.

6 sounds about right partially if you can front load. He is 24?
Yeah, you’ve got to give him confort if you want him to move.

Geelong will probably offer the same or more.

Yeah, you’ve got to give him confort if you want him to move.

Geelong will probably offer the same or more.
I don't think Geelong has ever offered more than 5 years to any player ever, to include Dangerfield, Hawkins, Selwood etc. I can't imagine they would for Bailey

I dunno, feels like the long deals are a bit of clubs trying to lock up their talent until Tassie is established. Is there a place for a 7 year Hopper contract past that?
There's some middle ground.

We don't have to go full Kane Cornes and outlaw them all together...but there has to be nuance.

7 years for Hopper is just negligence, as it was for Cogs, Taranto etc.

They should either go to the absolute top liners (Petracca, Bont) or youngsters who you just know are going to be great like JHF, where even if it goes wrong, he's still only 26/27 by the end of it.

The long term deal to the mid-twenties player who's good - but not absolutely elite - is where it can go wrong. Particularly if they've already struggled with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Geelong has ever offered more than 5 years to any player ever, to include Dangerfield, Hawkins, Selwood etc. I can't imagine they would for Bailey

Technically we gave cameron 6 (5 and a trigger for a 6th year) i can see us doing that for smith if the money is right..we will have oodles of cap space.

I personally wouldnt but i can see the club doing it.

From the SEN article on Holmes yesterday:

"The Cats are renowened for a salary cap system that refuses to overpay players in order to prioritise team success."

Are the cats hesitant to cough up the $1.2m/year? Cameron wouldn't even be on that would he?

From the SEN article on Holmes yesterday:

"The Cats are renowened for a salary cap system that refuses to overpay players in order to prioritise team success."

Are the cats hesitant to cough up the $1.2m/year? Cameron wouldn't even be on that would he?

Hard to know as the club keeps things very close to their chest. I wouldn't be paying him 1.2 million a year though.

Hard to know as the club keeps things very close to their chest. I wouldn't be paying him 1.2 million a year though.
That's fair. Having said that, I think you'd probably need to pay Holmes as much as you would Smith and getting him in could open a can of worms.

I assume that we'd be offering 6 x $1.2, probably very front loaded.

That's fair. Having said that, I think you'd probably need to pay Holmes as much as you would Smith and getting him in could open a can of worms.

Yep, and the Hawks are in a different position to us, you don't have many to pay lots to reach the cap limit. If Smith wants the $$$ then best to go to the Hawks IMO.

I would not be offering him 1.2.
If he is chasing that kind of money, then I hope we dont go after him.

I wouldn't want to go above 900K. But the rumours lately are we have a lot of cap space opening up, so who knows.
Most clubs will have a lot of cap space at the end of the year with the new salary caps and deals. Most teams have 15+ players out of contract at the end of the year all looking for a new deal. Teams need to be smart this season with contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back