Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be bs.
The whole article is based on Landsberger finding out that Collingwood players were told not to put photos of Smith on social media.

There could be a bunch of drivers for not wanting your players to advertise hanging out with an opposition player, especially one with with a publicised history of drug use who is likely not getting asada tested at the moment.

The logic landsberger chose was that the club wanted players to hide an intention to trade him in. I would say that version of events is unlikely, because it implies that the playing group know he's coming, and if the playing group know he's coming the media would have a lot more to go off.

It's definitely possible he's going to Collingwood, but that article specifically seems to be a 2+2=5

From the SEN article on Holmes yesterday:

"The Cats are renowened for a salary cap system that refuses to overpay players in order to prioritise team success."

Are the cats hesitant to cough up the $1.2m/year? Cameron wouldn't even be on that would he?
I think it’s important for people to not look at the actual $ figures when comparing future contracts with past contracts. Cameron may not have been on $1.2 million/year, but his % share of the salary cap was likely higher than a player being paid $1.2 million next year.

With the insane increases in the cap moving forward, million dollar deals are no longer exclusively for the best of the best. The Cats over the next few years will likely have multiple players earning more than Dangerfield or Cameron ever did

I think it’s important for people to not look at the actual $ figures when comparing future contracts with past contracts. Cameron may not have been on $1.2 million/year, but his % share of the salary cap was likely higher than a player being paid $1.2 million next year.

With the insane increases in the cap moving forward, million dollar deals are no longer exclusively for the best of the best. The Cats over the next few years will likely have multiple players earning more than Dangerfield or Cameron ever did

Holmes just re-signed for reportedly 4 Years / $750k per year
Sounds like Geelong bargains are still paying off.

Sel said it best in his retirement press conference.
You don't come to the Geelong Football Club to go to work for money, you come for the experience.”

Speaks volumes about cap management and how the club is run.
Does Smithy fit into that mould? Who knows? I still reckon he’s going to Hawthorn.

I don't think Collingwood have ever been in the race.

Hawks have been after him for multiple years.
For the money that is being mentioned, I hope you get him, or even better he stays at the Doggies and takes more cap space.
There are others there I would rather.

As for Hawks being after him for a few years, this means little, as it isn't who wants him the most, it is who he wants the most.

I don’t think offering Bailey Smith 2 years was insulting. Most on our board thought it would be in the best interests of both parties.

It would allow him to get paid well initially on a short term basis, improve his market value for his next big contract and give him the flexibility of becoming a FA and being in full control of his future. It would give the club an ‘out’ if he doesn’t reclaim his previous form even if the $$ value was very high for those 2 seasons.

If clubs are offering 6 year deals on $1 million plus despite his very obvious significant risks, well then I’m not sure I want to keep him at that price.

Hawks fans comments indicated they thought he was going to play wing like he was at the Dogs. I thought that was half the reason he wanted to move though
Which Hawks fans. Not the ones that know the dealings within the club. He wants to play inside/outside and we have offered this sort of role to him.

The whole article is based on Landsberger finding out that Collingwood players were told not to put photos of Smith on social media.

There could be a bunch of drivers for not wanting your players to advertise hanging out with an opposition player, especially one with with a publicised history of drug use who is likely not getting asada tested at the moment.

The logic landsberger chose was that the club wanted players to hide an intention to trade him in. I would say that version of events is unlikely, because it implies that the playing group know he's coming, and if the playing group know he's coming the media would have a lot more to go off.

It's definitely possible he's going to Collingwood, but that article specifically seems to be a 2+2=5
Landsbergers track record is terrible. This isn't his area of expertise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate you offered Naughton 10 when your playing him out of position. We are at least planning on playing him where he wants to play A and B. Where he will arguably play his best footy.
Playing Naughton out of position? He's a forward not a back. His goal kicking is actually better than some key forwards in the game and he's more reliable to contest a marking contest.

Correct. It's good timing for us, as we are miles under the min cap requirements at present.
Stengle needs to get paid too.
Think that's more of a priority than offering the proverbial farm for Smith.

I can see the Hawks nuffie Bailey Smith in Hawks colours

Stengle needs to get paid too.
Think that's more of a priority than offering the proverbial farm for Smith.

I can see the Hawks nuffie Bailey Smith in Hawks colours
I can't. He might want to chase a flag. Cats or Pies can do that. Hawks don't look close to it for another few years. He was close to winning 1 at Dogs so he understands what it'll take to get there.

I can't. He might want to chase a flag. Cats or Pies can do that. Hawks don't look close to it for another few years. He was close to winning 1 at Dogs so he understands what it'll take to get there.
If we can get another key forward, we will be pushing for the eight. Smith would add to Day and Newcombe who all have the ability to become elite.

Just need 2-3 more elite talents.

If we can get another key forward, we will be pushing for the eight. Smith would add to Day and Newcombe who all have the ability to become elite.

Just need 2-3 more elite talents.
We need to have our best players on the park. Been quite a big contribution to our issues this year. Even CJ adds a point of difference. We may look miles off because we haven't got close to our best team all year and when your young and rebuilding your always going to struggle. West Coast look better because there injury list is nowhere near as bad as it has been the past few years. We are no different. This time next year with a bit of good luck we should be moving up the ladder and Smith would understand this already.

We currently have the longest injury list or player unavailability in the comp. Were going into this weekend with both number 1 and 2 key forwards not playing. Judge us when we can at least get our best team or close to on the park.

We currently have the longest injury list or player unavailability in the comp. Were going into this weekend with both number 1 and 2 key forwards not playing. Judge us when we can at least get our best team or close to on the park.
You may have a higher number out injured but I think Richmond fans would like a word on quality

You may have a higher number out injured but I think Richmond fans would like a word on quality
I rekon it's actually pretty close. Both have key forwards out. 3 of our starting small forwards plus now some of our depth in that area with Sam Butler out for the year. Our first choice Full back and pretty much all the key back depth bar Phillips and Serong. Than you have CJ who is best 22 also. There's nobody on that list except for a guy called Josh Bennetts who you could say wouldn't get a game this year in our current team. Maybe Will Macabe would have spent the year at BH developing had he not been out injured. We also had up until the weekend Will Day out who is the equal to Tim Taranto in terms of importance to the team. We had Reeves out a couple of weeks ago too so no ruck depth for a week. It's been a disaster which nobody outside Hawthorn has even bothered to mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back