Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenn Maxwell.

That is the single greatest individual sporting performance I've ever seen in any sport ever.

Glenn Maxwell.

That is the single greatest individual sporting performance I've ever seen in any sport ever.
Didn't see it Wick. Went to bed when Afghanistan were still batting..and thrashing us. Woke up to hear we won and Maxwell saved us.😲

I’ve had very little sleep. I watched the cricket last night and could have given it away when Australia collapsed to 7/91 chasing Afghanistan’s target of 292. I thought it would be over by 2.00am.😂

And then I saw the most extraordinary sporting achievement that I’ve witnessed in all of my life.

Pat Cummins joined Glenn Maxwell in the 20th over with Australia still needing 201 runs to win. Initially I was thinking about the net run rate and how a good partnership might help us make the semi finals.

There are too many incidents where it could have been lost yet Glenn Maxwell somehow managed to smash it around the park despite a bad back and severe cramping. I was wincing in sympathy as I witnessed this one man effort.

In the end it was a 202 run unbroken partnership. Cummins scored 12 of those runs. Maxwell ended up 201* off 128 balls. The magnitude of the hitting resulted in 21 boundaries and 10 sixes.

Given Maxwell’s slow climb up the stairs after the match I’d wait a few days before I attempted a bow.😂

South Africa posting low scores against us scares me.

We've lost so many games we should have won after getting them out cheap.

Hope this rain doesn't ruin the game.

I don't see it with Marnus.

I see a guy who's a flat track bully and had a good series before he was properly scouted and found out.

Has been subpar for the most part since.

India are a class above both teams tonight and may well be one of the greatest ODI teams in the history of one day cricket.

They have no weakness.

Will be an absolutely massive individual or partnership effort to give us any chance.

Inglis surprised me tonight. Was out most competent batsman after the top order until Cummins and Starc saw us through.

Quinton De Kocked it up for South Africa with bat and glove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
India are a class above both teams tonight and may well be one of the greatest ODI teams in the history of one day cricket.

They have no weakness.

Will be an absolutely massive individual or partnership effort to give us any chance.

Inglis surprised me tonight. Was out most competent batsman after the top order until Cummins and Starc saw us through.

ndia are a bloody good team. Adding players like Gill to their experienced bunch certainly elevates to an extent. I will not agree with them having no weakness until they meet a good team away from the benign wickets of the sub-continent.

Don’t get me started on the blatant favourable wickets presented to them. I mean our last series had us up against it with “normal” Indian wickets and they proceeded to offer up wickets further “prepared” to favour them. If we produced raging green tops at the Gabba or WACA we would be massively criticised. They are quick tracks by definition and need no doctoring, yet India unashamedly produce “roads” against quality oppo.

They have no weakness.

Have to agree Wick, India are a class above at the moment, they have batsmen in form whereas we have had individual shows of brilliance from different batsman to bring up a W for us.

Maybe a bit of weather like yesterday might level the playing field and another spell from Hazelwood who was unplayable, why he only bowled 8 overs baffles me

Have to agree Wick, India are a class above at the moment, they have batsmen in form whereas we have had individual shows of brilliance from different batsman to bring up a W for us.

Maybe a bit of weather like yesterday might level the playing field and another spell from Hazelwood who was unplayable, why he only bowled 8 overs baffles me
terrible captaincy to bowl zampa at the death to Miller.

Gifted them another 20 runs...meanwhile Hazelwood festered in the deep.

Haven't watched India, but look forward to the game.
There's a sort of cavalier arrogance I see in our team quite often...not sure why? They seem inconsistent.
Maxwell gets a pardon!😄
Was it they were trying to get rhe game over as quickly as possible to rest up?
Almost blew it.

I
ndia are a bloody good team. Adding players like Gill to their experienced bunch certainly elevates to an extent. I will not agree with them having no weakness until they meet a good team away from the benign wickets of the sub-continent.

Don’t get me started on the blatant favourable wickets presented to them. I mean our last series had us up against it with “normal” Indian wickets and they proceeded to offer up wickets further “prepared” to favour them. If we produced raging green tops at the Gabba or WACA we would be massively criticised. They are quick tracks by definition and need no doctoring, yet India unashamedly produce “roads” against quality oppo.
A road I can put up with - it just turns into a shootout. It's a rank turner that I don't want - like the pitch we had in our game against them in the round robin.

India are a bloody good team. Adding players like Gill to their experienced bunch certainly elevates to an extent. I will not agree with them having no weakness until they meet a good team away from the benign wickets of the sub-continent.

We are massively criticised by the global cricket community. We serve up absolute roads that favor our batsmen and our quicks have learned to absolutely fight for what they can get out of them.

I don't see a difference between what we deliver - that suits us - and what they deliver on the subcontinent that suits them.

At home they absolutely have a team that suits the conditions perfectly just as in years gone by we've had the same.

But this is why winning a world cup away from home is one of the most difficult things you can achieve in world cricket and why if India win it'll be the third world cup in a row won by the host - even if the umpires screwed New Zealand out of their rightful win last time.

Haven't watched India, but look forward to the game.
There's a sort of cavalier arrogance I see in our team quite often...not sure why? They seem inconsistent.
Maxwell gets a pardon!😄
Was it they were trying to get rhe game over as quickly as possible to rest up?
Almost blew it.

Thought Warner and Head were terrific. They knew they had to play their shots early as that was going to be the absolute best of the batting conditions. In the end it was this attitude that made the game winnable. It's so hard to win batting second over there - the conditions deteriorate quickly.

Mitch going out immediately was unfortunate.

I don't rate Marnus. He's still on the side because of what he can produce on roads and the Ashes from a few years ago. He's now a better fielder than he is a batsman - and saved us many runs there yesterday to be fair.

Maxy only knows one way. When it works - like it did against Afghanistan he's unstoppable. Unfortunately, last night wasn't the night for that style and the second he played the attempted shot he was done.

I've never seen Steve Smith sucked in as badly as he was last night. Brilliant piece of captaincy by Bavuma and even better bowling by the kid, Coetzee. A bit of that Darren Gough type attitude about him that endeared him to Aussies. Just did not die and looked like he could tear it away from us at any moment. Anyways, they set the poor s**t up by Smith with the prior deliveries in that over and he gave his wicket away.

Inglis was brilliant and was the only batsman who really took advantage of the groundwork Head and Warner gave them. Steadied the ship then got Starc into the right - same - mindset so that when it came to Starc and Cummins they kept their cool and played smart. In the past Stars would've been tempted to lose his head and play the big all or nothing shots. Respect the hell out of his restraint.

Our pitches these days are largely carbon copies of each other. Drop-in pitches with little for either the quicks or spin bowlers. Medium-fast, consistent bounce. Always find it amusing when the commentators continue with the old tropes from the fast WACA pitch (which somehow transposed itself to Perth Stadium), and a turner in Sydney. They don't exist anymore. It's all the same - dull, boring pitches.

Won the toss and bowling on a dry pitch. Odd decision, see if there's anything to justify it. Maybe takes their spinners out of it under lights.

Won the toss and bowling on a dry pitch. Odd decision, see if there's anything to justify it. Maybe takes their spinners out of it under lights.

Cannot believe how dumb this decision was given everything we've known about this world cup.

Think their spinners will enjoy the conditions moreso now than later.

Teams that win batting second have consistently had to get 6 or thereabouts or less. Most games won by the team batting first.

India will get about 400 and it'll be about 75 more than necessary.

Cannot believe how dumb this decision was given everything we've known about this world cup.

Think their spinners will enjoy the conditions moreso now than later.

Teams that win batting second have consistently had to get 6 or thereabouts or less. Most games won by the team batting first.

India will get about 400 and it'll be about 75 more than necessary.
Wickets a bit slow. We've started well enough, fielding well. Travis Head, wow😮

Remove this Banner Ad

Back