Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

Weather won't save us. Currently 377 runs in arrears. England may or may not declare overnight, but they may just bat in for a little longer. Going to need a huge history breaking record to win. Australia hasn't done that for a long time.

That was just horrible from us.
I heard Ponting say we should have known how to bowl to Crawley. Why didn't we? Just dumb. And now...ffs.
There will be massive gloat replacing massive sook.
Geez. How did it get to this?
Are our boys too cocky and arrogant to listen?
Warner's attitude suggests so.

But then, it is one of those freaky weekends, so I'll hold a tiny bit of hope. ( camon Warner bat 100 and stick it up us.)

That was just horrible from us.
I heard Ponting say we should have known how to bowl to Crawley. Why didn't we? Just dumb. And now...ffs.
There will be massive gloat replacing massive sook.
Geez. How did it get to this?
Are our boys too cocky and arrogant to listen?
Warner's attitude suggests so.

But then, it is one of those freaky weekends, so I'll hold a tiny bit of hope. ( camon Warner bat 100 and stick it up us.)
I'd love for the players to give it to the English cricketers. Bazball works at the moment, and I actually think there are elements to it that will be part of the game for a time to come. But for me, there's something in the current iteration that peeves me. However, I think on current form Australia will be lucky to get within 100 runs...

I can’t remember being as annoyed about the cricket as I’ve been for the most part during this series. A wonderful victory in the first test has been followed by up and down efforts since that time.

The batting has fallen away. The inconsistency has meant lost opportunities.

The fielding has been underwhelming. Dropped catches and midfields abound.

The bowling? Frankly head scratching stuff. Is it me? That duke ball does nothing for 20 overs and we haven’t worked out a strategy for that during the series. We’ve been rudderless since Lyon’s injury. It’s taken his absence for me to realise finally that’s he’s our most important bowler.

We’ve been outplayed and England will crow about it. It will annoy me because I know it’s right. At least I’ll be able to get back into a regular sleep routine after tonight.

So, we'll retain the Ashes, but it's looking like it will be a drawn series - but one where England have got better as the series has gone longer.

Where to from here?
We've got a 1-day world cup coming up, along with a whole lot of short form cricket either side of it, then a 3-match test series v Pakistan and 2-match v West Indies at home over Dec/Jan. A bunch more pointless short form matches v the Windies. Then off to NZ for (sadly) only two tests, and a whole lot more short form cricket.

Khawaja, 36. Played well early this series, but the extra pace of Wood when he came into the side troubled Uzzie. Will prob still be the #1 opener for the coming summer, but will he remain so by the end? If he does go to NZ, prob his last tour.
Warner, 36. Should not have been picked for this series, and purportedly wants a swansong this summer. We need to move on - we'll want to use the Pakistan/WI series to work out who are our next best openers. Sorry Davey, your time is done.
Labuschagne, 29. In his prime. Should be mainstay of the side for next 4-5 years. Hasn't had the best tour of England, but popped up with a couple of good knocks.
Smith, 34. Decision time for Smudge. Still has the talent for another couple of years at the top, but does he want it? Hope he'll see us through to the next generation, with perhaps the 2024/5 home series his last.
Head, 29. With Marnus, will lead the next generation of the Australian men's test team. Likewise, is now in his prime. Perhaps next captain?
M March, 31. Perhaps the surprise packet of the tour, has Mitch cemented the all-rounder spot for the next few years? If his body holds up, yes, but that's a big if. Either way, likely only for the next year or two.
Carey, 31. Hasn't had a good tour, with just the one 50 in the first test (along with another v India). His glovework has been decent, but the Brook chance in the first innings will stick in memories of selectors if we go on to lose this test. Will be some conjecture about his place for the home series, but still expect him to be on the scene for a few years yet.
Starc, 33. He's still fit, hasn't dropped a whole lot in pace, but time isn't on Mitch's side. Will prob remain through this summer, but beyond that, not sure.
Cummins, 30. Should still be around for another 3-4 years if his body holds up. Will he retain the captaincy?
Murphy, 22. After an exceptional debut tour of India, has found the going tough in his first couple of tests in England. Still, an exciting prospect, and should be viewed as the long-term replacement for Lyon.
Hazlewood, 32. Has looked pedestrian at times on this tour, and perhaps was underdone coming into it. May be looking at his last summer in the team.
---
Green, 24. Very disappointing tour, unable to impact with either bat or ball, and finds himself replaced by Mitch Marsh. Still, youth is on his side, and will be looking to see Cam establish himself as a test player over the next year. We just need him to turn that potential into reality.
Lyon, 35. Has been so resilient over his career, and expect he'll re-take his role as #1 spinner come the home test series. Still could be around for a few years yet, but with a ready replacement in the wings, will have to keep on top of his game.
Boland, 34. Expect he's played his last test. Wasn't able to impact in England the way we'd have liked. And the team needs to look to the next generation of fast bowlers.

It's an aging squad. Our next tour to England will be a very different team - perhaps only Labuschagne, Head, Murphy and Green still on the scene by then. Even by the end of this coming summer, could be as many as 5 or 6 changes to the team.

So who comes in? Will be an interesting Shield season coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rain raining GIF

If they win this (not beyond realms of possibility, with a required run rate around 2.7 runs per over) it will be the 8th highest successful run chase, and Australia's second best result after 1948 (404 runs against England). Time to make history for the team (and the likes of Warner and Khawaja).

How crap is it that they changed the ball for something with half as many overs bowled. 40 overs on the original and the gold paints is still on the replacement.

That’s the spirit of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back