Another SA AFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

The ship has set sail unfortunately. It would be nice, but it won't happen for a very long time and even then, it will be a brand new composite side with no connection to the SANFL.

If, as planned, it ended up with Port in 1991 (instead of Crows) and Norwood in 1997 (instead of Port) then you could argue that a 3rd team would be closer than the next 50 years.

I think Adelaide should have either;

SA1 Port
SA2 Norwood
SA3 Composite team

or

1 team for Adelaide made up as a composite of the 9 sanfl clubs.

Adelaide would have had an extremely successful team with a huge fanbase if it was a one-team city.

I think Adelaide should have either;

SA1 Port
SA2 Norwood
SA3 Composite team

or

1 team for Adelaide made up as a composite of the 9 sanfl clubs.

Adelaide would have had an extremely successful team with a huge fanbase if it was a one-team city.
The Crows were basically (and still are, kind of) a composite of the 9 SANFL clubs as a few Port players ended up playing games for them.

I don't think the Crows would have been more or less successful had they remained as the sole SA team though

The Adelaide mix is right atm. Norwood missed the boat in 1990 and bringing them into the AFL would fragment the Adelaide Crows supporter base. I very much doubt there are many Norwood supporters who follow Port more likely that most Norwood supporters are Crow supporters.

When Port were admitted back in 1996 I reckon 75% of the SA supporter base followed the Crows but over the past 25 years that has probably evened out to 60/40. The other problem with admitting a third side out of Adelaide is the logistics. Where would they play and train who would fund their facilities etc ? The Crows are pushing the proverbial uphill to get out of West Lakes so I cannot see a third side having it easy. Norwood might set up at Norwood Oval but Port are currently spending millions reestablishing a headquarters at Alberton with the help of Federal Government grants. As we have also seen in Tasmania setting up an AFL team is an expensive business and I doubt the Federal or State Governments would be willing to subsidise a third SA team.

Too many obstacles in the way for a third SA team.

Last edited:

The Adelaide mix is right atm. Norwood missed the boat in 1990 and bringing them into the AFL would fragment the Adelaide Crows supporter base. I very much doubt there are many Norwood supporters who follow Port more likely that most Norwood supporters are Crow supporters.

When Port were admitted back in 1996 I reckon 75% of the SA supporter base followed the Crows but over the past 25 years that has probably evened out to 60/40. The other problem with admitting a third side out of Adelaide is the logistics. Where would they play and train who would fund their facilities etc ? The Crows are pushing the proverbial uphill to get out of West Lakes so I cannot see a third side having it easy. Norwood might set up at Norwood Oval but Port are currently spending millions reestablishing a headquarters at Alberton with the help of Federal Government grants. As we have also seen in Tasmania setting up an AFL team is an expensive business and I doubt the Federal or State Governments would be willing to subsidise a third SA team.

Too many obstacles in the way for a third SA team.
Not to metion the money where the AFL controls the Finance of both it's SA teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back