Another SA AFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

DILLIGAF about the tarps? Of course I haven't forgotten them. However we were getting sponsorship $$ out of it I'm fairly sure. Melbourne, North, Bulldogs and St Kilda should take note as well. Especially Melbourne given they play at the MCG that would only be between 10 and 20 percent full when they play.

At least Port weren't like the Gold Coast soccer team that had a 5000 fan limit on a 20,000 seat (or whatever it was) stadium.

Last edited:
The crows had a MUCH better ride into the AFL via the SANFL funded player retention scheme (obviously the PAFC was a big contributor) which encouraged players like the Jarman's, McDermott, Smart etc from not nominating for the draft or moving to Victoria.

The AFC largely had a state side in 1991. The PAFC was perhaps more shrewd but yes, they also had concessions but not like the crows, GC and GWS.

But no, SA will not have another team in our lifetime unless our population swells by another 1m!

I thought the Crows had crappy concessions?

I'm fairly sure when Gold Coast and GWS first started up, Graham Cornes wrote an article about how the Crows didn't have any draft picks or something stupid like that. Then again it probably was stupid and he probably made it up.

I thought the Crows had crappy concessions?

I'm fairly sure when Gold Coast and GWS first started up, Graham Cornes wrote an article about how the Crows didn't have any draft picks or something stupid like that

What Cornes and his fellow half-truthers omit from that discussion is they got a free hit on 8 SA players at the end of year one - which netted Mark Ricciuto, Tony Modra, Chris Groom and Anthony Ingerson among others. They also chose Mark Viska over Andrew McKay.

The drafts in those days were also awful, given almost no work was put into advanced scouting and things like the combine didn't exist. The Victorian teams enjoying reserves and U-19 grades also vastly reduced the talent pool.

So missing out on a handful of top picks to go with picking the best of the Adelaide-based Origin team and SA kids wasn't the great impost Cornes makes it out to be.

What Cornes and his fellow half-truthers omit from that discussion is they got a free hit on 8 SA players at the end of year one - which netted Mark Ricciuto, Tony Modra, Chris Groom and Anthony Ingerson among others. They also chose Mark Viska over Andrew McKay.

The drafts in those days were also awful, given almost no work was put into advanced scouting and things like the combine didn't exist. The Victorian teams enjoying reserves and U-19 grades also vastly reduced the talent pool.

So missing out on a handful of top picks to go with picking the best of the Adelaide-based Origin team and SA kids wasn't the great impost Cornes makes it out to be.

That's also what I was thinking.

Prick is so biased.....

let's wait and see what the Adelaide Oval crowds are like when the Crows finish 5th and Port are languishing in 10th before we talk about this -
Compare us to when we finished first in the 2000's average around 30,000. So Adelaide Oval approx worth 15,000 more. When we are cellar dwelling I'd say our crowds would be 30,000 to 35,000 ave.

Nah the ship has sailed i reckon, they are pretty happy in the mini-league anyway

I thought that at the start of the year before knowing how great Adelaide Oval is for football. There is still a massive following for the Redlegs and at the Grand Final on sunday there will be a huge portion of the crowd wearing red and blue. I think the Crows would lose 5,000 members overnight if Norwood ever got in and strangely Port Adelaide would lose about 500 members that are Norwood supporters in the SANFL and become Norwood members instead. I think a lot of people would jump on the Norwood bandwagon because of the history of the Norwood footy club. For it to work Norwood would have to get a very favourable stadium deal at Adelaide Oval and have a lot of priority draft picks similar to what the Gold Coast and GWS got. They would also need a big long term sponsor to fund it, Coopers would be all over it if they could sell there beer at Adelaide Oval. I reckon Norwood wouldn't have to many issues getting 20,000 members in the first season if they got into the AFL.

Another problem with Norwood entering (I'm all for them entering the League btw) would be their club colours are the same as Melbourne's. So while a clash uniform wouldn't be an issue, because home jumper is the same minus the yolk, people might think they're Melbourne in a different jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another problem with Norwood entering (I'm all for them entering the League btw) would be their club colours are the same as Melbourne's. So while a clash uniform wouldn't be an issue, because home jumper is the same minus the yolk, people might think they're Melbourne in a different jumper.
Why do we have to be like the NFL where everybody looks distinct? We have far more history than those plastic US franchises.

Lol going back through this thread and you said that the AFL guernsey mock I made wasn't needed because they could use their SANFL top.

Don't even remember seeing that or seeing it Lol.

Hey look personally I don't think there is or should be an issue with Norwood - or Port for that matter - using their SANFL top. However at the same time I'm not convinced Melbourne wouldn't crack the shits Collingwood style. Then again Melbourne aren't a powerful club so they probably couldn't say too much regardless.

Don't even remember seeing that or seeing it Lol.

Hey look personally I don't think there is or should be an issue with Norwood - or Port for that matter - using their SANFL top. However at the same time I'm not convinced Melbourne wouldn't crack the shits Collingwood style. Then again Melbourne aren't a powerful club so they probably couldn't say too much regardless.
I think they are sufficiently different. Melbourne has a colored in red V whereas Norwood just have red trimmings. Norwood could run a darker or lighter blue compared to Melbourne and it should be ok. They need to get over 40,000 on the weekend for it to even be in the realm of conceivability though.

how many people do you think the SANFL GF will get?

44,161 at the 1997 Norwood v Port Adelaide GF
39,135 at the 1999 Norwood v Port Adelaide GF

hasn't cracked 40,000 this century

The Adelaide Oval effect should be significant + good weather + premier rivalry.

Only problem is 20,000 of our members will be rushing back from Victoria on saturday night/sunday morning to get to the game, I'm sure that will have an effect on the crowd numbers that would normally go. I hate that the SANFL grand final is now a week before and not after the AFL grand final.

I could only see a 3rd SA team as being a complete merger of a the SANFL teams (excl Port and Crows).

Each of the current clubs would remain independent in the SANFL but the new club would be jointly owned by a board of directors and members of the 8 clubs. This would ensure that the club would be financially strong from the get go. (I reckon this is what Adelaide Crows should have been, or the 2nd SA license if Port had gotten the first).

Same situation/case for a 3rd WA team.

I could only see a 3rd SA team as being a complete merger of a the SANFL teams (excl Port and Crows).

Each of the current clubs would remain independent in the SANFL but the new club would be jointly owned by a board of directors and members of the 8 clubs. This would ensure that the club would be financially strong from the get go. (I reckon this is what Adelaide Crows should have been, or the 2nd SA license if Port had gotten the first).

Same situation/case for a 3rd WA team.
Nope.

There won't be a 3rd SA team in the next 50yrs... this was decided in 1990. IF Port got the first licence, Norwood the second, then a third combined AFL side would make sense. Now it wont happen, where will the supporters come from unless you go regional like Coober Pedy or something.

The ship has set sail unfortunately. It would be nice, but it won't happen for a very long time and even then, it will be a brand new composite side with no connection to the SANFL.

If, as planned, it ended up with Port in 1991 (instead of Crows) and Norwood in 1997 (instead of Port) then you could argue that a 3rd team would be closer than the next 50 years.

Nope.

There won't be a 3rd SA team in the next 50yrs... this was decided in 1990. IF Port got the first licence, Norwood the second, then a third combined AFL side would make sense. Now it wont happen, where will the supporters come from unless you go regional like Coober Pedy or something.
Yeah okay. My comment was about how I could only see it happening that way. I'm not saying that it can/will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back