Another SA AFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the scenario that a 3rd SA team was being considered, would a Norwood stand alone team be better than a merged entity w Sturt w Norwood very much as the senior club in the entity?

Merged team may attract a greater supporter base, plus incorporates more of the SANFL heritage.

Trouble is what do you do with the AFL sides? Obviously, with Port and Adelaide, the league sides would become reserves.

I think it would be better off if Norwood went alone.

Sturt's financials aren't all that great and they nearly folded a year ago along with West. Will probably see a Sturt - West merger in the not too distant future before one with Norwood.

In the scenario that a 3rd SA team was being considered, would a Norwood stand alone team be better than a merged entity w Sturt w Norwood very much as the senior club in the entity?

Merged team may attract a greater supporter base, plus incorporates more of the SANFL heritage.
How did the Melbourne - North merger go? It would destroy the clubs and make the exercise pointless.

Is the final window for Norwood to enter the national competition the resounding success of Adelaide Oval? If Port can attract 44,000 ave to games then a third club might be possible. However the significance of Norwood's history and success will diminish as time passes. If it doesn't happen in the next 10 years the third team in South Australia would probably be a franchise team in the northern suburbs, eastern hills or southern suburbs (to rural south). A third team may simply not happen until the population reaches 2 million...which is about 75 years away probably.

One hope in the long term is that the brand of an old, successful club with a beautiful home ground might be easier than a franchise and gather followers on the eastern side of town anyway. Port = West, Adelaide = Center and Norwood = East?

Not necessarily. Fitzroy still exist in an AFL context. So do South Melbourne. Better than being a VFL club I would argue.

Norwood would be the senior club, just have SFC on the back of the guernsey, ala Brisbane Lions.

Something to consider.

There is no way a single SANFL club could enter the AFL and succeed. No one has enough support.

I don't think Adelaide could support 3 clubs in any form. As it is, Port are only viable when they're winning. They will see crowds in the teens again, maybe not for a while though, and Norwood or anyone else would be lucky to have half the support of Port.

The AFL already has too many teams as a competition anyway. The talent is already too thin, and if participation of other sports keeps increasing it will only get thinner.

So Port Adelaide haven't been a success then?

Crowked wrote if you read it like myself. That Port has enough support when they are winning only, but when they are struggling their support is missing and struggle to survive financially.

But being the biggest SANFL club, it spells out how any other SANFL club would go. Port are up and down so that would make the other SANFL clubs even worse.

All teams have their ups and downs with on field performances, there is no doubt about that.

Norwood are a big enough SANFL club at the moment (probably due to their success) that they could replace GWS or Melbourne for example and, while they would have a few down years for the first couple of seasons, within 3-4 years they would be in the same situation as Gold Coast, kids have grown up and are starting to be less reliant on Gazza.

I'd also assume Norwood's SANFL side would then become their reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All teams have their ups and downs with on field performances, there is no doubt about that.

Norwood are a big enough SANFL club at the moment (probably due to their success) that they could replace GWS or Melbourne for example and, while they would have a few down years for the first couple of seasons, within 3-4 years they would be in the same situation as Gold Coast, kids have grown up and are starting to be less reliant on Gazza.

I'd also assume Norwood's SANFL side would then become their reserves.

Norwood are the biggest SANFL club at present, but cant see the AFL wanting to prop them up when times are lean, like they have had to do with the power. Its a fact that SA cant have to teams being propped up through these lean times. The AFL dont have a choice with NSW and QLD being the biggest markets in Australia they need to prop up all teams what ever it takes. The population is just too great to ignore it wouldnt suprise me if they decided to add more franchises into those markets as its a business and TV audience in those states is enormous. Its not about the footy, its about the business.

In the scenario that the SA economy kicks on in 15 years time, there may be enough corporate support for a Norwood to survive without handouts.

So Port Adelaide haven't been a success then?
No.

You've been propped up so many times I've lost count. Left to your own devices, your AFL club would be extinct.

You won a flag on the back of very generous entry concessions (like all introduced clubs, including the Crows) and being allowed to cheat the 1996 draft, (by paying players like Lade and Wilson to not nominate until they could take them).

Since then, you've been ordinary to poor. Making a good recovery now, on the back of the AFL/SANFL handouts, some really good appointments and a heap of early draft picks for being ordinary to poor.

Anyway that wasn't my point. There is no way SA could support another AFL club, full stop. Norwood just isn't big enough. The wouldn't get 20,000+ crowds weekly on their own. Maybe back in the day, if they merged with say Sturt, but its too late for that now. No other SANFL club supporters or AFC or PAFC supporters would get on board. If you cant fill the stadium weekly, you wont be profitable.

Besides, the AFL has no interest in SA football. Its all Sydney, Sydney, Sydney. We don't have the population for further AFL growth.

And Port wouldn't have needed those handouts if, like the Crows, weren't being raped every week by the SANFL and their shoddy stadium deal. Port fought back and won, albeit at a financial loss, while the Crows believed the bullcrap Whicker and Olsen were feeding them.

MMM so remind me who actually owned the AFL licences, The Power and Crows or the SANFL. If I owned a company, I would dare say its in my rights to want the profits wouldnt you think so.

Yes, however who paid the $4 million dollar license fee? Port Adelaide and the Crows.

I rest my case.

HUH WTF, The SANFL owned the licence dont you understand this!! The Power and Crows paid $4 million to operate under this licence as a fee. If they think they were over charged establish better negotiating skills. It happens in business everyday in forms of Leases, Franchise fees, ETC.

I would like to have a Subway franchise, but what they are asking upfront and ongoing franchise fees is not to my liking so I wont be getting one. The Crows and The Power could have said no. It may have brought the price down or it could have opened the door for another team to get it. I suppose thats the risk both teams would have had to take.

If adelaide were to get another AFL team which sanfl club would be the best candidate for it and why? Could adelaide support another team considering the Crows get twice as many members as the average Vic team?
not sure that is right.. both Adelaide and Port barely have 50,000 members.

I think the success of Port shows that people like to be able to grip on to a bit of history and culture so I'd say the Norwood FC.

It'll never happen though unless our population doubles!

No.

You've been propped up so many times I've lost count. Left to your own devices, your AFL club would be extinct.

Erroneous.

Left to our own devices - not being gouged of matchday revenues with a punitive stadium deal, 80% of our net profit to 2001 and not being forced to split operations with the Magpies with all the untold costs of that SANFL-endorsed stupidity - we would've been fine.

You won a flag on the back of very generous entry concessions (like all introduced clubs, including the Crows) and being allowed to cheat the 1996 draft, (by paying players like Lade and Wilson to not nominate until they could take them).

Michael Wilson, 2 time Port Adelaide premiership player before the age of 20. Fancy paying him to stand out of the draft.

Since then, you've been ordinary to poor. Making a good recovery now, on the back of the AFL/SANFL handouts, some really good appointments and a heap of early draft picks for being ordinary to poor.

And how much revenue was generated for the SAFA/SAFL/SANFL by Port Adelaide between 1877-1996, let alone between 1997-2010 when the 'handouts' began?

Is Leigh Whicker a relative of yours? He'd be proud.

No.

Anyway that wasn't my point. There is no way SA could support another AFL club, full stop. Norwood just isn't big enough. The wouldn't get 20,000+ crowds weekly on their own. Maybe back in the day, if they merged with say Sturt, but its too late for that now. No other SANFL club supporters or AFC or PAFC supporters would get on board. If you cant fill the stadium weekly, you wont be profitable.

Besides, the AFL has no interest in SA football. Its all Sydney, Sydney, Sydney. We don't have the population for further AFL growth.

The crows had a MUCH better ride into the AFL via the SANFL funded player retention scheme (obviously the PAFC was a big contributor) which encouraged players like the Jarman's, McDermott, Smart etc from not nominating for the draft or moving to Victoria.

The AFC largely had a state side in 1991. The PAFC was perhaps more shrewd but yes, they also had concessions but not like the crows, GC and GWS.

But no, SA will not have another team in our lifetime unless our population swells by another 1m!

And Port wouldn't have needed those handouts if, like the Crows, weren't being raped every week by the SANFL and their shoddy stadium deal. Port fought back and won, albeit at a financial loss, while the Crows believed the bullcrap Whicker and Olsen were feeding them.

Yes, but that doesn't explain your poor attendance when your teams doing badly. Don't ever forget the tarps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back