Another SA AFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

dj21

All Australian
Mar 5, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
If adelaide were to get another AFL team which sanfl club would be the best candidate for it and why? Could adelaide support another team considering the Crows get twice as many members as the average Vic team?

Not that I see it happening as the AFL and SANFL have both said there are other markets that need to open up before a 3rd side is even consided but if it did the logical step would be Norwood or a group of southern clubs.

I don't think a third AFL team from Adelaide should be allowed for at least another 10 years.

If their is one after that, Norwood will definitely be the next candidate. But it would probably destroy the SANFL for good.

Originally posted by dj21
If adelaide were to get another AFL team which sanfl club would be the best candidate for it and why? Could adelaide support another team considering the Crows get twice as many members as the average Vic team?
The thought of it makes me sick.

Two South Australian teams is enough. I can just imagine the carry on if they had a third team. All we'd hear is about how the AFL had it against all three SA teams instead of just the two.

Make no mistake Norwood still harbor AFL ambitions.

they will continue to fill any discussion that pertains to a 3 rd Adelaide AFL club.

as for the SANFL, they would field a club called the Norwood Redlegs Football Club to maintain a Norwood connection .

The SANFL would continue.

Had the VFL admitted 3 or so SANFL clubs in the late 70's, they would have grown in the same way the VFL clubs did at the time, When the VFL clicked over from a club based organization to a Business..the focus changed, so joining the AFL became no longer a club situation, but whether or not an organization had millions to be able to do it.

The best solution would be.

Adelaide 3 AFL clubs
Perth 3
Brisbane 2
Sydney 2-3 clubs
Canberra 1
Tasmania 1
NT 1

Melbourne...slug it out amongst yourself and fit what is left.

regards

PA1870

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870
Make no mistake Norwood still harbor AFL ambitions.

they will continue to fill any discussion that pertains to a 3 rd Adelaide AFL club.

as for the SANFL, they would field a club called the Norwood Redlegs Football Club to maintain a Norwood connection .

The SANFL would continue.

Had the VFL admitted 3 or so SANFL clubs in the late 70's, they would have grown in the same way the VFL clubs did at the time, When the VFL clicked over from a club based organization to a Business..the focus changed, so joining the AFL became no longer a club situation, but whether or not an organization had millions to be able to do it.

The best solution would be.

Adelaide 3 AFL clubs
Perth 3
Brisbane 2
Sydney 2-3 clubs
Canberra 1
Tasmania 1
NT 1

Melbourne...slug it out amongst yourself and fit what is left.

regards

PA1870

Love your thoughts re the Melbourne Clubs!!!!!

Unfortunately I cant see the Redlegs being included in the AFL in the near future!!!!!!

Re: Re: Another SA AFL team?

Originally posted by footyman
The thought of it makes me sick.

Two South Australian teams is enough. I can just imagine the carry on if they had a third team. All we'd hear is about how the AFL had it against all three SA teams instead of just the two.

Im quite amused that the thought makes you sick!!!

Truth is, SA has always been a threat to the Vics, thats why we are bagged!!!!!

Originally posted by raboyle
If their is one after that, Norwood will definitely be the next candidate. But it would probably destroy the SANFL for good.
There is no room for a third team, but if there was I would have thought the obvious candidate would be Central. Huge supporter catchment area not encroaching on Port or the Crows.

The only club remotely capable of financing a move to the AFL on its own is Centrals. In reality though, if SA were to field a third team it could ONLY be a composite team, like the Crows, consisting of at least three SANFL clubs. The other alternative would be a Vic club relocating.

Personally, I'd be very annoyed if Centrals lowered themselves to entering the AFL. The SANFL is by far the better competition for so many reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would support a 3rd team (Centrals in a merger with the Western Bulldogs) for the following reasons:

a) The damage is already done to the SANFL. Anyone who is interested in the AFL in SA has a team. So people who regularly attend SANFL either like it more than then AFL...this will not change....or don't support the AFL at all....this will not change....or support both....this will not change. Once Port entered the AFL we had "a team for all South Australians" and so any damage to be done has been done.

b) We need to do what is in the best interest of SA football as a whole and the reality today is that the biggest part of this is the AFL. The SANFL is just one small part of football in SA and a nostalgic clutching at what was will only lead to its demise in the long term. The fact is that the SANFL needs to survive next to the AFL and whether that is a 2 SA team AFL or a 3 SA team AFL makes no difference....if the SANFL cannot survive with 3 SA AFL teams then it will not survive with 2.

c) We lost the war with the VFL. They won. It would have been great to have a real national competition separate from the VFL but that did not happen....the VFL won because they had the cash. Best not to live in the past. It would be wrong in today's age to think that the SANFL is the vehicle through which we manage the best interests of SA footy. The best interests of SA footy (including but not exclusively the SANFL) will be managed mainly through the AFL and the more influence we have there, and the more $$$ we screw from that competition the better the overall football scene in SA will be.

as for the club....Centrals are the obvious choice. Demographics and $$$$$ show the they are the place to be.

VM

Originally posted by Vindaloo Mat
I would support a 3rd team (Centrals in a merger with the Western Bulldogs) for the following reasons:

a) The damage is already done to the SANFL. Anyone who is c) We lost the war with the VFL. They won. It would have been great to have a real national competition separate from the VFL but that did not happen....the VFL won because they had the cash. Best not to live in the past. It would be wrong in today's age to think that the SANFL is the vehicle through which we manage the best interests of SA footy. The best interests of SA footy (including but not exclusively the SANFL) will be managed mainly through the AFL and the more influence we have there, and the more $$$ we screw from that competition the better the overall football scene in SA will be.

as for the club....Centrals are the obvious choice. Demographics and $$$$$ show the they are the place to be.

VM

I'd like to see Norwood Merge with Melbourne and wed have the Norwood Demons or the Melbourne Redlegs.. !

However ..

I agree totally with the above as posted by Vindaloo Mat.

PA1870

I dont think SA has lost the war, seeing as how they're doing a good job of raiding the Victorian 'reserves' I think the Crows and Power plus a pre '91 standard(players and crowd) SANFL isn't an impossible dream, it wont happen all at once though, say that 1 out of every 10 people at an SANFL game brings someone else along for a look for starters, a 3000 crowd= 3300, in a couple of months 1 out of every 5 people do that, that crowd is then 3600. For a 'big' game (eg NorwoodvPort) 7000 could be 8400. You fans over there can do a lot to promote the SANFL, unfortunatley being stuck in Melbourne i cant do it myself but a visit(or 2) to Adelaide this year is definitely on the cards and i'll be doing my bit for Australias best real football( as opposed to money making, eating,losing take your pick!!) leauge. As the leauge grows stronger with the increased support it will equal more money for the clubs, reducing reliance on AFL funding and in the end a leauge that can maybe stand on its own 2 feet again.

PS same goes for WAFL too, Iv'e seen quite a few WA footy boards where the disgust of fans towards the WAFC is there for all to see. Same goes for you guys too. Who knows, maybe Australian footy as it was pre 87 again one day, it's not impossible and thinking like that is the first step twards getting 'our' game back. Next thing is directing those bills coming out of your wallet in the 'right' direction. The corporate modern game is leaking money like a sieve and going back to 'semi-professional' football is the only way all clubs can survive.

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870
I agree totally with the above as posted by Vindaloo Mat.
I agree with Vindaloo Mat as well. Which means I agree with PA1870! :eek:

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
I dont think SA has lost the war, seeing as how they're doing a good job of raiding the Victorian 'reserves' I think the Crows and Power plus a pre '91 standard(players and crowd) SANFL isn't an impossible dream, it wont happen all at once though, say that 1 out of every 10 people at an SANFL game brings someone else along for a look for starters, a 3000 crowd= 3300, in a couple of months 1 out of every 5 people do that, that crowd is then 3600. For a 'big' game (eg NorwoodvPort) 7000 could be 8400. You fans over there can do a lot to promote the SANFL, unfortunatley being stuck in Melbourne i cant do it myself but a visit(or 2) to Adelaide this year is definitely on the cards and i'll be doing my bit for Australias best real football( as opposed to money making, eating,losing take your pick!!) leauge. As the leauge grows stronger with the increased support it will equal more money for the clubs, reducing reliance on AFL funding and in the end a leauge that can maybe stand on its own 2 feet again.

PS same goes for WAFL too, Iv'e seen quite a few WA footy boards where the disgust of fans towards the WAFC is there for all to see. Same goes for you guys too. Who knows, maybe Australian footy as it was pre 87 again one day, it's not impossible and thinking like that is the first step twards getting 'our' game back. Next thing is directing those bills coming out of your wallet in the 'right' direction. The corporate modern game is leaking money like a sieve and going back to 'semi-professional' football is the only way all clubs can survive.

we lost...by any definition we lost.

a) a significant proportion of the $$$ generated in SA through football goes into the AFL and not the SANFL.

b) SA clubs have no call on SA based players and so any junior developed in SA has only a 1/8 chance of playing here, despite that all of the money spent to develop him came from SA.

c) there are now perhaps 2 of the 11 SA clubs (including the crows) who can survive just by playing football.

how exactly did we win ?

Having said that it doesn't mean that SA cannot box above its weight in the future, as we have in the past, but we will not achieve that primarily through the SANFL (although it does have a role to play), but we will do it through increased influence in the AFL.

To get beack to where we were this is what I think we need:

a 12 team AFL

2 SA
2 WA
6 Vic
1 Syd
1 Bris

this increases our standing in the AFL and it would be 50:50 Vic vs everyone else....which is about what it has been historically.

It would also mean 160 players presently on AFL lists running around in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL.

Whilst we have 16 AFL teams then I think 3 from SA gives us what we need to have the influence over the competition.

VM

I am not so sure it would be Norwood. Their supporter base is predominately Crows.
Who would a Norwood/Crows supporter barrack for ?
A composite team would also face the same problems and only take support from the Crows.
What would a North/Crows supporter do.
What would a Glenelg/Crows supporter do.

IMO Centrals have the supporters with the passion to support a new entity

Actually not a bad point Mat, a 12 team leauge would be bit less 'thinned out' Victoria might have to realise sooner or later they cant have their cake and eat it too, whoever can't survive would i presume head for the VFL, wether it be the Roos, Dogs, Blues(would it be allowed to happen?) or Saints, maybe a better solution than total obliteration or merger(was Fitzroy just dropping back to the then VFA ever considered, would have been a preferable option for many Roy supporters i think) i guess we wont see any move(if any) in this direction until the next TV battle comes up. Centrals in the big time intrigues me though, maybe they're the Bulldogs of the future if things at the Whitten go pear shaped.

My take on it.

1) No way to a third AFL team from Adelaide. Not because I'm against SA (hell no!) but because it would totally wreck the SANFL. I don't think it's in bad shape right now. In fact I think it's the most stable state league in the country. Mind you, when you have competition like the VFL - which is a surrogate AFL reserve grade competition for the Victorian AFL clubs - and the WAFL - who the WAFC basically regard as a nuisance (and may their bones rot for THAT attitude) it's easy enough to do.

2) 16 AFL clubs is too many. We need a balanced draw, and the only way to achieve that is with 12 AFL clubs. So four have to go, and all four of them should be Victorian. I think two should re-locate, and NOT to Adelaide, Perth, Sydney or Brisbane. I think one should go to Canberra (what an untapped market THAT is), and another should go to Tasmania.

The fact is that the clubs that are struggling the most at AFL level are the Victorian clubs. So I disagree that SA has lost the war. The other AFL clubs must be jealous of the sorts of membership numbers the Crows and the Power are pulling (and the Eagles and the Dockers to for that matter!). And the fact that crowds are STILL going to the SANFL. I'm expecting the Parade to be packed out tommorrow night. Could be a five figure attendance on there - something that the VFL and the WAFL can only dream about during the home and away season!

And the other reason why the Victorian AFL clubs have to cut back? To make some room for some genuine state league clubs alongside the only stand alone clubs left - Frankston and North Ballarat. That would help the grass roots level in Victoria - goodness only knows it's been ignored for I don't know how long!

Originally posted by Nod
I am not so sure it would be Norwood. Their supporter base is predominately Crows.
Who would a Norwood/Crows supporter barrack for ?
A composite team would also face the same problems and only take support from the Crows.
What would a North/Crows supporter do.
What would a Glenelg/Crows supporter do.

IMO Centrals have the supporters with the passion to support a new entity
Dont get me wrong I having nothing against Centrals joining the national comp, but give me a break If some Port supporters cant afford AFL how are Centrals?

Originally posted by Paralowiepower
Dont get me wrong I having nothing against Centrals joining the national comp, but give me a break If some Port supporters cant afford AFL how are Centrals?

Central District will not enter the AFL.

The club is just not big enough to be a viable AFL entity. They should stick to the SANFL.

What happens if Port and Crows dominate the competition.
5th and 8th in 2001. 3rd and 4th in 2002. Who would bet against either of them not making the top 4 in 2003 ?

Would the AFL consider a 3rd SA based team to lessen their dominance ?

Originally posted by Nod
Would the AFL consider a 3rd SA based team to lessen their dominance ?

No.

They would encourage the Victorian clubs to merge to raise up to the level of the SA clubs.

See my previous post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back