AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to confirm that Eleanor Brown has been re-added to the club’s AFLW Primary List.

Eleanor was unable to take the field last season due to health reasons and was subsequently placed on the club’s Inactive List at the end of the year.

Eleanor has since made significant progress and returned to the AFLW Bulldogs Primary List on April 1, 2024.
The AFL has provided exceptional circumstances approval to re-add Brown to the list without having to remove another player ahead of the 2024 Season.

The Club thanks the AFL for their understanding.

I've been wondering where our girls play during the vflw season. Do most of them sit it out and only play AFLW?

I was told before the season that we would definitely see some listed players in the VFLW, so hopefully that plan hasn't changed and it's not too long before we do. We were the only team last year not to do it and it showed come AFLW season.

So far this year all teams except for us and North Melbourne have played listed players in the VFLW with Hawthorn and Sydney playing the most with 18 individual players each.

435764422_10168541009520175_7208295323684939665_n.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have made five changes to their team ahead of Saturday morning’s VFLW encounter against Essendon.

Emmalyn Nekrep, Jaime Henry, Emily Ramsay, Mia Cowan and Tannah Hurst have been added to the line-up.

Roxy Beuzeville, Eleanor Cornish, Trinity Skenderis and Jorja Livingstone make way, while Tallia Pulcino has been managed.
The Bulldogs will be looking to return to the winners’ list when they host Essendon, following defeat to Sydney last weekend.

The first bounce will be tomorrow, Saturday 13 April at Mission Whitten Oval from 11am AEST.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vflw for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

VFLW Team | Round 4

Western Bulldogs v Essendon
Saturday 13 April, 11am AEST
Mission Whitten Oval (Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung)

B: A Snow (57), C Ugle (29)
HB: S Asciak (28), T Crook (30), C Leonard (38)
C: C Mailer (60), D Carbone (54), E Nekrep (41)
HF: I McLeay (73), M McLeod (31), R Saulitis (56)
F: J Tabb (63), I Milford (64)
R: K Hardingham (66), E Bishop (35), M Klingbeil (53)
Int: J Henry (68), T Hurst (45), S Skinner (62), M Cowan (67), E Ramsay (46)
Emg:
T Skenderis (34), F Taylor (48), E Cornish (55), M Clifford (47)

In: E Nekrep, J Henry, E Ramsay, M Cowan, T Hurst
Out: T Pulinco (managed), R Beuzeville, E Cornish, T Skenderis, J Livingstone

THE AFLW could move to a fully national draft as soon as the end of this year.

The opinions of football bosses from all 18 AFLW teams were canvassed at a meeting on Tuesday, and the feedback was mostly positive.

Last year's supplementary and full drafts saw players able to nominate for either the national pool or choose to be drafted only in their home state, while the 2022 draft was fully state-based.The change would see that home-state option removed, although players could theoretically still be free to inform clubs of their preferences in pre-draft interviews.
Clubs were pleasantly surprised to see 69 per cent of nominees select the national pool last year.

At the top end of the draft, the numbers were slightly different, with 12 of the top 16 selecting national, but nine of the first round of 21 picking their home state.

If players were talented enough to be virtually guaranteed to get drafted, some felt they weren't limiting their chances by only nominating their home state.
A national pool also allows talent to be more equitably spread, theoretically fast-tracking the rise of developing sides.

With a smaller talent pool in New South Wales, both Greater Western Sydney and Sydney were able to capitalise on national nominations.

The Giants landed top WA prospect Kaitlyn Srhoj with pick No.3, and Victorian Indigo Linde later in the draft. Victorian pair Sarah Grunden and Lara Hausegger joined the Swans with picks 16 and 33.
The potential move to a fully national draft has been enabled by increasing pay and the introduction of 12-month contracts. Only a handful of players at each club still hold a full-time job outside of football, with the vast majority of those players being over 30.

Sixteen players per side sit in the tier four payment band – the base pay into which most draftees will fall – and the salary for that group will rise from $56,077 to $67,337 in 2025, $70,030 in 2026 and $72,373 at the end of the CBA in 2027.
As set out by the CBA, first-year players are also entitled to a relocation allowance if moving interstate (including costs of moving belongings), and a living allowance of up to $16,500 for purchase of household items, rent or other relocation expenses (by approval of the club's player development manager in accordance to AFL guidelines).

AFLW first-year players can also claim six return economy flights and four nights' accommodation at their new location for family, to both assist with their move and allow for help and visits throughout the year.
The trade period and draft are once again likely to be held in December, following the conclusion of the AFLW season, with dates to be confirmed when the fixture is released mid-year.

While it makes for an incredibly hectic end to the year – with Brisbane and North Melbourne having just three days between last year's Grand Final and the start of the trade period – the overwhelming sentiment is the rush is worth it, allowing for a proper break over summer without clubs surreptitiously wheeling and dealing.

The top 10 of this year's draft is considered to be significantly deeper than last year, in part due to the number of elite players who were tied to expansion clubs and signed prior to the draft.

At this stage, names to watch in that top bracket include Zippy Fish, Molly O'Hehir (WA); Victorians Ash Centra, Sierra Grieves, Sara Howley and Lucia Painter; Gold Coast Academy's Havana Harris; potential Carlton father-daughter Sophie McKay, Ash Patton (ACT) and South Australians India Rasheed, Poppy Scholz and Jas Evans.

Dominique Carruthers will play in the Western Bulldogs VFLW match this Saturday morning.

The AFLW-listed player is one of two inclusions to face Williamstown at DSV Stadium, joining Tallia Pulcino who returns after being managed last week.

Mali McLeod
and Millie Klingbeil will be managed for this clash.
The Bulldogs will be looking to make it back-to-back wins following a thrilling win over Essendon last weekend.

The first bounce will be tomorrow, Saturday 20 April at DSV Stadium in Williamstown from 10am AEST.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vflw for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

Following the VFLW, the VFL Bulldogs will play at the same venue. The first bounce will be at 3.05pm AEST.

VFLW Team | Round 5

Williamstown v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 20 April, 10am AEST
DSV Stadium, Williamstown (Bunurong)

B: A Snow (57), C Ugle (29)
HB: S Asciak (28), T Crook (30), C Leonard (38)
C: C Mailer (60), D Carbone (54), E Nekrep (41)
HF: I McLeay (73), T Pulcino (36), R Saulitis (56)
F: J Tabb (63), I Milford (64)
R: K Hardingham (66), E Bishop (35), D Carruthers (49)

Int:
J Henry (68), T Hurst (45), S Skinner (62), M Cowan (67), E Ramsay (46)
Emg:
T Skenderis (34), F Taylor (48), E Cornish (55), M Clifford (47)

In: D Carruthers, T Pulcino
Out: M McLeod (managed), M Klingbeil (managed)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs ruck Alice Edmonds will continue to call Mission Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2026.

The 25-year-old was initially signed as an injury replacement player after being delisted from Richmond prior to Season 6.

She enjoyed a breakout Season 7 which catapulted her into All Australian contention, also claiming runner-up in the Best and Fairest count as well as being named Most Improved Bulldog.

Edmonds said she was thankful for getting another opportunity at the Kennel.

“It’s been a pretty unique journey for me – from when I first got here to now – but it just gave me that extra drive and extra want,” she said.

“I just wanted to improve and be able to reach the top level, and being in this environment and at this club has really assisted with that.

“I’m always so grateful I got a second chance here and can’t wait to take it even further.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said he was pleased to lock in the emerging ruck.

“Since joining the Bulldogs, Alice’s rapid rise to one of the elite rucks in the competition is a credit to her work ethic and determination to improve her football,” Sandry said.

“She is an integral part of our midfield set up and we look forward to her continuing to take her game to new levels over the next few seasons.”

Western Bulldogs ruck Alice Edmonds will continue to call Mission Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2026.

The 25-year-old was initially signed as an injury replacement player after being delisted from Richmond prior to Season 6.

She enjoyed a breakout Season 7 which catapulted her into All Australian contention, also claiming runner-up in the Best and Fairest count as well as being named Most Improved Bulldog.

Edmonds said she was thankful for getting another opportunity at the Kennel.

“It’s been a pretty unique journey for me – from when I first got here to now – but it just gave me that extra drive and extra want,” she said.

“I just wanted to improve and be able to reach the top level, and being in this environment and at this club has really assisted with that.

“I’m always so grateful I got a second chance here and can’t wait to take it even further.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said he was pleased to lock in the emerging ruck.

“Since joining the Bulldogs, Alice’s rapid rise to one of the elite rucks in the competition is a credit to her work ethic and determination to improve her football,” Sandry said.

“She is an integral part of our midfield set up and we look forward to her continuing to take her game to new levels over the next few seasons.”

Huge. I think the next key players to lock away would be Grant, Pritchard, Georgostathis, and Wilcox.

Our girl Lizzy re-signed for three more years as well.

Versatile Bulldog Elisabeth Georgostathis has put pen to paper on a three-year deal, keeping her in the red, white and blue until at least the end of 2026.

The 22-year-old enjoyed a breakout 2023 campaign, averaging 17 touches, four marks and four tackles after a move to defence.

Those efforts saw her claim a career-high second place in the Best and Fairest count.

Georgostathis said she was excited to be staying at the Kennel and in the west.

“I think we’re creating something really special here,” she said.

“Obviously we have had a bit of change in the list, but to see some new faces and new coaches with Tam coming in – I’m just super excited to see what we can do over the next few years.

“Having played with the VU Western Spurs and also the Western Jets – it’s been great to stay on this side (of the city) and be close to home.

“Staying connected in the community here is really cool.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said Georgostathis will continue to play an important role in the club's future growth.

“Liz has been a strong and consistent contributor to our team over the last five seasons,” Sandry said.

“Coming off her best season yet in 2023, extending her contract out for the next three seasons is an important part of the growth of our young list.”

Young gun Rylie Wilcox will be a Bulldog until at least the end of 2026 after signing a three-year deal.

Wilcox joined the Kennel via the Club’s first selection (Pick 21 overall) in the 2022 AFLW Draft.

The hard-running midfielder has played 19 games since her debut in the opening round of Season 7 and has been nominated for the NAB AFLW Rising Star award twice.
Wilcox said while getting through an uninterrupted pre-season is her primary goal in 2024, she’s excited by what the following years might hold.

“I’m so pumped to get the next three years under my belt – I’m very excited to get stuck into it,” the 19-year-old said.

“I want to grow as a leader for the younger girls, continue to develop my skills and just be the best player I can be.

“I love the girls and the staff – we’ve got a couple of new starters including Tam as coach, but everyone is just great and are such great personalities.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said he was delighted to keep Wilcox at the Kennel.

“At only 19 years of age, Rylie has already proven her ability to impact games to a high level,” Sandry said.

“We’re excited to see her continue to develop and excel at the Bulldogs for the next three years and beyond.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back