VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just having a look at the fixture thinking we seem to have played a bunch of the top teams. 21 rounds, with four byes, playing some teams twice, not playing some teams at all. What the actual frankincense is this gobbledegook?

If you have 21 teams, why not play each team once and have one bye in a 21 round season?

Alot more to it then just height but that'd be on the lower-end, he is taller then Khamis but hasn't got the same leap.
Stephen May is 190? And not a big leap. May be worth a go as a defender but a good winger would be great as well

Just having a look at the fixture thinking we seem to have played a bunch of the top teams. 21 rounds, with four byes, playing some teams twice, not playing some teams at all. What the actual frankincense is this gobbledegook?

If you have 21 teams, why not play each team once and have one bye in a 21 round season?

There are some teams that are guaranteed a shot at finals purely because they got all three of Coburg, Bulllants and Frankston along with getting one of them twice while we only get the one game against Frankston and nothing against the Bullants or Corburg.

Stephen May is 190? And not a big leap. May be worth a go as a defender but a good winger would be great as well
His built like a brick ***thouse though. I'm not saying Friejah couldn't make it as a key defender, I just think it's unlikely and would take him away from his best position and one we desperately need filled.

There are some teams that are guaranteed a shot at finals purely because they got all three of Coburg, Bulllants and Frankston along with getting one of them twice while we only get the one game against Frankston and nothing against the Bullants or Corburg.
If our VFL serves to ready players for AFL it's probably good thing that they're playing in competitive games than giving beat downs to non-competitive teams. I'd much rather that for development than an artificially higher ladder position.

Footscray has made three changes for its Sunday morning clash against Richmond.

Oskar Baker and Charlie Clarke return after playing in the AFL side last week, alongside Buku Khamis.

Alex Keath, Luke Cleary and Joel Freijah come out of the side, rewarded for their early season form with senior selection.
Up to 15 AFL-listed players could take to the field on Sunday, with Dan Orgill, Trent Bianco and Ethan Hunt among the state-league listed players also named again.

Footscray will look to continue their undefeated streak on Sunday, with the first bounce at 2.05pm AEST.

The match will also be broadcast live and free on Channel 7 for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

VFL Team | Round 7

Richmond v Footscray
Sunday 12 May, 2.05pm AEST
Swinburne Centre (Punt Road Oval)

B: L. Smith, Gilbee, Orgill
HB:
Poulter, Daniel, Bedendo
C:
Khamis, Scott, A. Jones
HF:
Busslinger, Clarke, Spicer
F:
Lobb, Gardner, Sanders
R:
Croft, Baker, McNeil
IC:
Bianco, Willoughby, Craig-Peters, Hunt, Maple
EMG:
Stretton, Crofts, Dahms, Kizan

In: Baker, Clarke, Khamis
Out: Cleary (AFL), Keath (AFL), Freijah (AFL)

Footscray has made three changes for its Sunday morning clash against Richmond.

Oskar Baker and Charlie Clarke return after playing in the AFL side last week, alongside Buku Khamis.

Alex Keath, Luke Cleary and Joel Freijah come out of the side, rewarded for their early season form with senior selection.
Up to 15 AFL-listed players could take to the field on Sunday, with Dan Orgill, Trent Bianco and Ethan Hunt among the state-league listed players also named again.

Footscray will look to continue their undefeated streak on Sunday, with the first bounce at 2.05pm AEST.

The match will also be broadcast live and free on Channel 7 for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

VFL Team | Round 7

Richmond v Footscray
Sunday 12 May, 2.05pm AEST
Swinburne Centre (Punt Road Oval)

B: L. Smith, Gilbee, Orgill
HB: Poulter, Daniel, Bedendo
C: Khamis, Scott, A. Jones
HF: Busslinger, Clarke, Spicer
F: Lobb, Gardner, Sanders
R: Croft, Baker, McNeil
IC: Bianco, Willoughby, Craig-Peters, Hunt, Maple
EMG: Stretton, Crofts, Dahms, Kizan

In: Baker, Clarke, Khamis
Out: Cleary (AFL), Keath (AFL), Freijah (AFL)

So Buss playing VFL means he was available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Buss playing VFL means he was available
Doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister though.

In the VFL they often manage players loads in a way that they can't afford to do in the seniors. If they put him into the rehab group during the week because they were concerned about his recent workload then I'm happy for him to wait another week or two. I wouldn't want any player being physically compromised coming into his debut game.
The VFL game is on Sunday so it gives him an extra day to recover too.

And if they monitor him during the VFL game and decide he's struggling they can limit his minutes.

Why?? I am much more surprised we offered him a 2 year extension. He is very much break glass depth and did nothing last week to show otherwise

If AFL had a job-share policy, Baker and Poulter would be ideal candidates. I'm sure they're doing the best they can, but I can't see either on our list long-term, surprised they're both not on 1-year contracts tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back