AFL Live 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys,

A couple of questions for anyone who likes or has put a bit of time into the AFL 2 console version. I'm having my fourth bite at the cherry with the title (I normally give up after a few games out of frustration) and just interested if there are any strategies for:

- having your defenders stand closer to the forwards
- punching the ball from behind the contest in general play - especially when your defender is standing standing five meters behind a forward as is often the case
- managing the interchange so that you don't have to manually assign your ruckman (I had thought that a 2nd ruckman on the bench was the answer but last night I had a back flanker in the ruck and my two ruckmen were RR and R respectively)

I know this game has some supporters on this board so this is a chance for you to speak up and explain how best to deal with the above. 'AFL 2 sux why play it' etc etc - yes I get that but this is an attempt to have a constructive discussion around the game's shortcomings. Maybe there are some workarounds that are worth knowing about.

I think for AFL Live 3 they just need to improve the gameplay. Make it a better engine. Make it easier to take a high mark. Make set shots a little easier. The contests need to be a bit mor challenging etc...

Just like in AFL Live 1.

Obviously with improvement on graphics too.

Played again last night. I do not understand the ruck bug, it's a game killer. I do not understand why it wasn't fixed in the patch. It's almost as if there is no algorithm whatsoever around player interchanges. Also noticed that 'hard' seems very hard but when you switch to medium it's snoozeville easy.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get through a full season. They have admittedly tried with the graphics so maybe the cutscene is interesting when you win a GF..?

Is there any form of trading and drafting across multiple years feature on this game?
Its a 10 year career, so you get to trade and draft at the end of every season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL live 1 is the worst game I have ever played. AFL Live 2 completely owns it in every way. Hopelessly unplayable, the stupidest control setup in history of gaming, heck this s**t game. AFL live 2 crushes it in every way.

Playing still in 2018 season. 1000's of times better than AFL Live 1. Don't ****in go near Live 1.

Hope your talkin about Live 1 cause it should be ******* burnt
You seem to hate Live 1 with a passion. Yet somehow you're in love with Live 2. Has me confused. How do you tolerate the 100% goal kicking? Or the 'I win ruck, I kick goal' or even the CHB always running into the guts as a midfielder leaving the CHF roaming free for an easy mark so that the FB can man up on him once he has marked, only to then pass it to the FF who is in the clear by a mile... Fancy Trav Colyer in Ruck maybe? Or maybe the crowd noise is sounding 10x better than last I heard? Players falling to the ground after they mark it despite having an uncontested chest mark? The disposal that doesn't count as a disposal if tackled? The tackling in general? Heppell's brown hair?...

If you're just trying to be indie, you sir are doing a fine job.

You seem to hate Live 1 with a passion. Yet somehow you're in love with Live 2. Has me confused. How do you tolerate the 100% goal kicking? Or the 'I win ruck, I kick goal' or even the CHB always running into the guts as a midfielder leaving the CHF roaming free for an easy mark so that the FB can man up on him once he has marked, only to then pass it to the FF who is in the clear by a mile... Fancy Trav Colyer in Ruck maybe? Or maybe the crowd noise is sounding 10x better than last I heard? Players falling to the ground after they mark it despite having an uncontested chest mark? The disposal that doesn't count as a disposal if tackled? The tackling in general? Heppell's brown hair?...

If you're just trying to be indie, you sir are doing a fine job.
Rather that than a game where spoiling, the most vital defnensove ability, is a ******* TWO BUTTON ******* COMMAND and one of the ******* buttons is the Y button. The button that requires you to physically move tour whole right hand out of posistion, making it impossible to hit any other command button with any accuracy without the spending a split second moving your hand back into the original position, reontering yourself with the controls, in which time if the ball has spilled, your opponent has either picked the ball off the ground and kicked the goal (or more likely miss as this game has your opponent kick at EXACTLY 50% ACCURACY on every game) or your player has got the ball and been immidently tackled. The fact that these exist on the EASIEST DIFFICULTY in the game, with instant tackles everywhere, not a second to think about what you could do, makes this game a horrendus mess. Why didnt they use the free (and infinetly better and more obvious) B button, or the X button? What idiot decided to make the only physically inaccessable (in the natural grip) button, the Y button, the button for mark, for spoil, and for tackle? Luckily the people with brains at Wicked Witch saw the moronic stupidity of this horrendus control error and rightfully and obviously corrected them and made them to the A and B buttons.
In AFL Wii, i lost my first game by 10 goals playing on the very easy mode, which i found out later, meant the opposition wouldn't tackle you at all. My second game, I won. In AFL Live 2, I lost my first games by huge margins, but by the third game I was winning. When I play AFL Live 1, I play my first game on the stupidly named rookie level, obviously implying the lowest didfuculty, which i then find out later is APPARENTLY second easiest (more on that later) and loose - 173 to 1. Finally I play as the best team in the game - Victoria - against the worst - Gold Coast - and after 4 games, I finally defeat them. So now that I have won a game, back to the season mode, where the team I played has a percentage of 17,000 - thanks AFL Live. Now for the next game. I loose in the end, 4 goals to 7. I'm getting the hang of it, although still finding the controls unusable, only being able to score by going Behind - torp-mark torp-mark torp-mark goal. The difficulty setting, for some insane reason named horrendusly vaugley instead of Easy-Medium-Hard, and for some reason has Rookie as the default level, espcially when you assume that somtbing named that way and placed default is the easiest mode. So now I realise i have been playing on Medium, not Easy. So I decide to start again on the easiest difficulty. Halfway through the third quater on the easier difficulty, me, much improved, against the same team, finds myself 146 - 0 at three quater time. WHAT ******* MORON NAMED THESE ******* DIFFICULTIES SO ******* STUPIDLY? FOR ALL I KNOW AMATURER MEANS ******* SUPER HARD AFTER THAT. NOW THE ******* AI TACKLES 10 TIMES FASTER THAN BEFORE. Well thanks for building a playable game Big Ant.

And every single user here who says AFL Live 2 is terrible, none of you can say ANYTHING about this subject. The instant AFL Live 2 was announced with a different devloper, everyone declared instantly that it would be a terrible game, before any evidence could be seen. It wouldnt of mattered if AFL 2 was the greatest game of any genre of all time, you still would of called it terrible for some reason. When you go in with a mindset that anything will be terrible, you will always then see it as terrible. But not me, who came into this game full of hope, expexting it to put AFL Live 2 to shame, after seeing all the slander on these forums about it. Instead, even with me expecting it to be good, I still found it terrible. That shows what the real s**t game is. AFL 1.
Its very easy to see that this is covered with the Watts-Naitanui effect. Everyone remebers everything that AFL Live 1 did well, but is very quick to forget anything that AFL 2 did well. And what happens when Live 1 makes a mistake? They laugh it off, "that was a good try". But the instant AFL 2 makes any tiny slip up, everyone's up in arms saying how they are going to go demand their money back.
Perfect example - AFL 2 trailer comes out. Instead of focusing on any good bits of it, we get "hey look the players just bend over when the player takes a screamer". "Oh look how many speccies there are, obviously a speccie button." "hey look this guys getting chased by 5 AI players what stupid programming!"
You wern't quick to notice how the exact same number of marks were taken in the Live 1 trailer. Nor did you rush out to point out that the AFL 1 trailer had AIs bending over when the player took a speccie. Nobody thought for a second that there was a bounce right before this and that all those players are doing exactly what any real AFL players would do in the identical situation, you know, chase the man who is right next to them, because you know, its a bounce, where there are plently of players right next to him already.

Afl Live 2 may not be perfect, but at least its playable, controllable, makes sense, and doesn't waste their time worrying about a kicking animation at the expense of a season mode. And at least AFL 3 and 2 have same same company devloping them. The right comapny.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hopefully this new Wicked Witch game will be enjoyable for you and the 2 other blokes buying it
Thanks for reinforcing the points I made in my above post, about how you already assumed that any Wicked Witch game made would be absolutely terrible, instead of actually waiting and judging it on its merits.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well I won't quote that but good on you for being so passionate about Live 2.

A couple of things I'll point out that might be of help to you.

Spoiling is most effective using the right stick and left bumper - not the 'so far away Y button'. It explains so in the manual.

Live 2 also has 5 difficulty levels. Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard and Legend so I guess by your explanation 'easy' isn't easy in either game. Again difficulty is explained in the manual.

The B button is not free as you say - it's the handball button. Again - refer to the manual.

Re - the 'tackle fest'. The is actually very few tackles once you have played the game for a while and work out how to break the game open. (Tip - use the 'free' B button to shoot out some handballs). By your own admission, if you're playing on rookie, I'd suggest you haven't played it enough.

Wouldn't it be also a realistic assumption to make that Live 2 should have put Live 1 to shame given the 2 year gap in first release, not the 'expectation' that you brought to Live 1.

Being part of a large FB group dedicated to AFL gaming I can tell you quite honestly that the vast majority of people wanted Live 2 to be better. There would be no point to 'judging is before it came out'. Less than 2 months after release 99% of the members were playing Live 1 again. Even after last years DLC 99% of members were playing Live 1 again. This time it was within 1 month.

You also state that 'spoiling is one of the most vital defensive(assume that's what you mean) ability' in the game. Live 2 regularly leaves players by themselves thus giving you no chance of attempting 'one of the most vital defensive ability'. Many people have even said spoiling is way too rare in a marking contest in Live 2

Ironically last years DLC for Live 2 included the "######" Live 1 controls that you very much criticised up there^. I wonder why they were added?

It's also interesting you say you started with Live 2 yet go on to talk about Live 1's trailer and compare it to Live 2.

Lastly - EVERYONE interested in AFL gaming wants each version to be great. I and I'm sure everyone else here certainly hope Live 3 is a game we can all put 100's of hours in to.

Last edited:
Spoiling is most effective using the right stick and left bumper - not the 'so far away Y button'. It explains so in the manual.

Why is this a two button command? What idiot thought that this would be in any way useful?

Live 2 also has 5 difficulty levels. Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard and Legend so I guess by your explanation 'easy' isn't easy in either game. Again difficulty is explained in the manual.

Pretty sure it is, as you wrote it. And very easy? You'll notice that I was talking about AFL Wii there.

The B button is not free as you say - it's the handball button. Again - refer to the manual.

Surprising how you don't have the ball when you need to spoil - oh wait! No its not! And if you read the manual which you continue to refer to, it clearly says:

LOOSE BALL

Left Trigger + Y: SPOIL
RIGHT STICK: BUMP

A: KICK OFF GROUND
X: GOAL KICK OFF GROUND
B: -----------------
B has no action at that time.
So surely, why didn't they just make it B?

As for the Y button? What did Call of Duty make it? Switch weapons! A command you almost never need to use! GTA V? Enter a vehicle! A button that you never need to use while you are doing somthing that needs very quick control movement! Y button sure as hell should not be used for Mark, Spoil and Tackle, the 2nd most useful commands.

Re - the 'tackle fest'. The is actually very few tackles once you have played the game for a while and work out how to break the game open. (Tip - use the 'free' B button to shoot out some handballs). By your own admission, if you're playing on rookie, I'd suggest you haven't played it enough.

Yep, shoot out handballs - when on the easiest difficulty level I'm tackled instantly on picking up the ball. Just randomly firing out a handball to s**t slow players, which 99% of the time end up with my opponent. When it ends up with my player, yes I'll give credit that the game does open up, and I can kick it inside 50. But without having to do a two button command to spoil, the computer constantly is able to easily spoil right down to one of their onw players, who clears the ball instantly.

Wouldn't it be also a realistic assumption to make that Live 2 should have put Live 1 to shame given the 2 year gap in first release, not the 'expectation' that you brought to Live 1.

Why would it be? Everyone on here was raving about how good Live 1 was, and how terrible Live 2 was in comparison. So I expected, as most people claim, that Live 1 would be better.

Being part of a large FB group dedicated to AFL gaming I can tell you quite honestly that the vast majority of people wanted Live 2 to be better. There would be no point to 'judging is before it came out'. Less than 2 months after release 99% of the members were playing Live 1 again. Even after last years DLC 99% of members were playing Live 1 again. This time it was within 1 month.

After this:

I am out of direct internet coverage at the moment - unfortunately I have to let it be known that we at Big Ant Studios are not involved with AFL Live 2.

Obviously we are passionate AFL fans (go Blues!!) and would have loved to have been involved however we could not come to terms that suited all parties.

Within THREE replies:
That's awful to hear... I'm almost prepared to write this off as not worth getting, especially if Wicked Witch is behind it.

You wrote it off from the instant you knew about it not being developed by Big Ant.
You also state that 'spoiling is one of the most vital defensive(assume that's what you mean) ability' in the game. Live 2 regularly leaves players by themselves thus giving you no chance of attempting 'one of the most vital defensive ability'. Many people have even said spoiling is way too rare in a marking contest in Live 2

My defenders are always one on one. Amazing how after playing through more than 1 game as you probably did, and instead playing 5 seasons, all the players from each team man up!

Ironically last years DLC for Live 2 included the "######" Live 1 controls that you very much criticised up there^. I wonder why they were added?

Because (wait for it...) The controls could be modified! Just like any game in the world should be! You could choose your controls! How much of a genius decision was this? They were added because Wicked Witch has a ******* brain. Good on them.

It's also interesting you say you started with Live 2 yet go on to talk about Live 1's trailer and compare it to Live 2.

Interesting how you did exactly the same thing in reverse. Interesting how I watched Live 1's trailer when it came out. With me not having a Xbox or PS3 at the time I got the Wii version so I could play. What was I meant to do?

Lastly - EVERYONE interested in AFL gaming wants each version to be great. I and I'm sure everyone else here certainly hope Live 3 is a game we can all put 100's of hours in to.

But if its made by Wicked Witch (even though the reason you wanted Big Ant to make AFL Live 2 was because they would be making two games in a row), you don't want anything to do with it.

There's threads petitioning AFL Live 3 to be made by Big Ant - Even though the main criticism prior to release was that you wanted them to make consecutive games - You now want them to make non consecutive games? Anyone who wants Big Ant to make Live 3 is a hypocrite.

Well I won't quote

Well I shall.

Last edited:
Quoting others and attributing these to me? Very odd!

Way to respond to only one point and ignore all the other points which completely demolished your argument.
And how am I meant to attribute them you you? You joined 1 year after AFL Live 2 was released.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back