AFL Canberra Season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

So assuming all teams are into pre season ! How are things shaping up for this year . I heard a rumour that tuggers and belco will not have fours this year .Anybody else hear this ?

From what I've seen Tuggeranong 4s are still up in the air but Belco will field a side in 4th grade.

Seems a bit odd they're not trying for 3s as one of the "big" Canberra clubs.

From what I've seen Tuggeranong 4s are still up in the air but Belco will field a side in 4th grade.

Seems a bit odd they're not trying for 3s as one of the "big" Canberra clubs.
Agree It is strange, I did hear on the grapevine that they will even struggle to get a 4s!

Issue Belconnen will have is that they didn't make finals in 4's so if they push up a grade they will likely lose a fair majority of their games and will not be able to build a side that can compete. I think it would be best for them to have another year in 4's if they are struggling with numbers to try and rebuild. Do we have any idea on when we are likely to receive a draw?

Agree It is strange, I did hear on the grapevine that they will even struggle to get a 4s!
Personally I hope Belconnen do manage to at least get one side in the lower grades . Be a hard challenge to come back from as a club in the future if they don't. I have to wonder what has happened to a once super strong club the decline has been rapid over the past couple of seasons.

Another year coming around again boys.

Heard Belconnen are the big club struggling. All others look standard to set up and go again with Ainslie looking just as strong as usual. Down the lower, have ANU and Adfa recouped? Good to see Coota going up, surprised Yass didn’t take on the challenge aswell. But then again look like they are missing a few.

Any big recruits around the clubs?

Does anyone have any preseason games this weekend? Also heard that Tuggeranong will not be fielding a 4th grade team this year.

I
Another year coming around again boys.

Heard Belconnen are the big club struggling. All others look standard to set up and go again with Ainslie looking just as strong as usual. Down the lower, have ANU and Adfa recouped? Good to see Coota going up, surprised Yass didn’t take on the challenge aswell. But then again look like they are missing a few.

Any big recruits around the clubs?
I heard a rumour that Cooma have picked up a few quality players and are going into the season very confident, if that’s true I wonder if they will think about dropping their 19th man in fluro’s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like draw on hold again with Eastlake throwing in a 3s team...

Makes 9 in the 3s, wonder if the league will try and force Belconnen up now...

Wow that's great news hopefully they become 4 teams strong. I though Eastlake and Woden had an alignment where Woden acted as Eastlakes 3's and 4's?

Wow that's great news hopefully they become 4 teams strong. I though Eastlake and Woden had an alignment where Woden acted as Eastlakes 3's and 4's?
Alignment is only for excess players. When eastlake didnt have enough players to fill 3rd and 4ths woden was put forward as a possible place to play.

Going off that logic Tuggers should also be in 3s not 4s?

Tuggeranong don't have the backing of a licensed club. They've removed their 4s team this year too. Stacking that 4s team to win the flag a few years ago seems to have set them back a bit.

For me though, when we fielded only one team, it was in 3s, regardless of how much we got drilled by year in, year out. The league would always point to the by-laws when we would request a move down to 4s saying we couldn't do it. I guess it's a bit of a cop out to see Belconnen green lit to play 4s, especially halfway through a season as was the case a couple of years ago.

I guess what changed for us was the first grade side getting better and attracting better players, and the flow down through the grades. Seems odd that a Belconnen team that had a commanding (home and away) season in first grade and made a prelim in the 2s, is somehow allowed to just play 4s.

Tuggeranong don't have the backing of a licensed club. They've removed their 4s team this year too. Stacking that 4s team to win the flag a few years ago seems to have set them back a bit.

For me though, when we fielded only one team, it was in 3s, regardless of how much we got drilled by year in, year out. The league would always point to the by-laws when we would request a move down to 4s saying we couldn't do it. I guess it's a bit of a cop out to see Belconnen green lit to play 4s, especially halfway through a season as was the case a couple of years ago.

I guess what changed for us was the first grade side getting better and attracting better players, and the flow down through the grades. Seems odd that a Belconnen team that had a commanding (home and away) season in first grade and made a prelim in the 2s, is somehow allowed to just play 4s.

FMD, do you ever stop with your anti Belconnen agenda, or is it just so ingrained now that you can't help yourself?

It's so admirable that Ainslie never had to go down to just 4s, but Belconnen never pinched other clubs' juniors en masse either.

We get it, Belconnen are sh!t and Ainslie are the greatest ever. Now just give it a rest would you

FMD, do you ever stop with your anti Belconnen agenda, or is it just so ingrained now that you can't help yourself?

It's so admirable that Ainslie never had to go down to just 4s, but Belconnen never pinched other clubs' juniors en masse either.

We get it, Belconnen are sh!t and Ainslie are the greatest ever. Now just give it a rest would you

I very much disagree with your last sentence, gave us an absolute hiding in the 4s last year.

To be fair building a team in the lower grades is hard enough. No one like being belted week in week out and it doesn't help get more people into the footy club. From what i saw last year it was the right decision to put Belconnen into 4th grade and it has definitely been the right decision for the Hawks. I would rather watch a team be competitive and win a few games in the lower grade then watch them get flogged every week.

The Hawks not being able to put in a 4's team is not good at all. They are a proud club and I hope that they can get some player come back and a few juniors come through so that they can rebuild and get a good player base again.

To be fair building a team in the lower grades is hard enough. No one like being belted week in week out and it doesn't help get more people into the footy club. From what i saw last year it was the right decision to put Belconnen into 4th grade and it has definitely been the right decision for the Hawks. I would rather watch a team be competitive and win a few games in the lower grade then watch them get flogged every week.

The Hawks not being able to put in a 4's team is not good at all. They are a proud club and I hope that they can get some player come back and a few juniors come through so that they can rebuild and get a good player base again.

Who will be the teams to beat this year in Div 3 and 4? (Newbie unfamiliar with comp).

Who will be the teams to beat this year in Div 3 and 4? (Newbie unfamiliar with comp).
Adfa will be strong again they won the flag last year. Hearing molonglo have picked up some quality and are quietly confident. Woden seem to be top 4 regularly and bay also heard to have picked up a few. Anyone else with thoughts or news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back