AFL Canberra Season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Adfa will be strong again they won the flag last year. Hearing molonglo have picked up some quality and are quietly confident. Woden seem to be top 4 regularly and bay also heard to have picked up a few. Anyone else with thoughts or news
Anu are always strong and you are never sure with ainslie. If they stay healthy in div 1 it filters down. Coota back after pulling the wool over afl canberra eyes last year.

Hey all if any of you have seen the draw what are your thoughts. I can't understand why they are not starting the comp on the 7th april. First week after easter as has been the case for a long time. Finishing in late sept is too late people have always had the opportunity to attend afl prelims previously this is now gone. Any thoughts

Hey all if any of you have seen the draw what are your thoughts. I can't understand why they are not starting the comp on the 7th april. First week after easter as has been the case for a long time. Finishing in late sept is too late people have always had the opportunity to attend afl prelims previously this is now gone. Any thoughts

That and then the "general bye" in May happening the weekend before a long weekend where games are scheduled is probably the only issues I have...

Otherwise, 2x 10 team comps, 18 games for full home and away fixturing is really good.

That and then the "general bye" in May happening the weekend before a long weekend where games are scheduled is probably the only issues I have...

Otherwise, 2x 10 team comps, 18 games for full home and away fixturing is really good.

Isn't there supposed to be Rep Footy for the Community League this season. Could that be during that General bye weekend?

Thought it had been canned this year?
Canned last year. Back on the agenda for discussion again this year. What do you think the buy in factor from the clubs would be. Has been a little disappointing previous years. Dont think we have had the best possible rep team for a few years.

Canned last year. Back on the agenda for discussion again this year. What do you think the buy in factor from the clubs would be. Has been a little disappointing previous years. Dont think we have had the best possible rep team for a few years.
It’s a hard one , first off coaches are asked to put forward three names to the league , much of that depends on who’s available or who wants to play . I know it’s a lot of work but it would be good to actually see rep sides picked on player performance rather then just offering up who’s available . After all we all want our rep sides to be super competitive don’t we ?

It’s a hard one , first off coaches are asked to put forward three names to the league , much of that depends on who’s available or who wants to play . I know it’s a lot of work but it would be good to actually see rep sides picked on player performance rather then just offering up who’s available . After all we all want our rep sides to be super competitive don’t we ?
Correct we do. I know its hard but you would think guys want to play in a rep team. Should be more names put forward. Some clubs genuinely have more than three that could make the side. Would be great to see all clubs buy in though. For instance the coota boys always buy in and even travel for training whenever possible.

The first year it was introduced the Canberra team won and the next year it got belted. I would like to think that all teams would buy in and it would be good to see more than 3 players from each team put forward. Alot of the time the best 3 are Midfilders which makes it tough to make a good side. Maybe if you had to nominate 2 forwards, 2 mids and 2 backs it might make more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first year it was introduced the Canberra team won and the next year it got belted. I would like to think that all teams would buy in and it would be good to see more than 3 players from each team put forward. Alot of the time the best 3 are Midfilders which makes it tough to make a good side. Maybe if you had to nominate 2 forwards, 2 mids and 2 backs it might make more sense.

Agreed...

I do think with the notional current format of 18 games it should be played over the long weekend though, and move the general bye later into the year.

Having played in both rep teams those years it was like chalk and cheese. When we played in Canberra the first year guys were keen and some handy footy players were selected. The South Coast boys not so much because of the travel and a early morning game.

The second year when it was played down in Merimbula the Canberra guys weren't keen and some generally unfit players were selected/put forward by clubs. The south coast boys were very up and about for it being a local game and the very best players from the SCAFL played on the day. Some of those boys that played for the south coast program are now in first grade set ups here in Canberra. I do not believe that Canberra 4th grades best 22 is strong enough to beat or contest the SCAFL best 22. That is honestly how it should be. Third grade would be a far better match up.

The 4s grade probably don't need a rep game as the majority of blokes aren't the most elite of footy players or athletes and need all the rest they can get with a 18 round season coming up.

Having played in both rep teams those years it was like chalk and cheese. When we played in Canberra the first year guys were keen and some handy footy players were selected. The South Coast boys not so much because of the travel and a early morning game.

The second year when it was played down in Merimbula the Canberra guys weren't keen and some generally unfit players were selected/put forward by clubs. The south coast boys were very up and about for it being a local game and the very best players from the SCAFL played on the day. Some of those boys that played for the south coast program are now in first grade set ups here in Canberra. I do not believe that Canberra 4th grades best 22 is strong enough to beat or contest the SCAFL best 22. That is honestly how it should be. Third grade would be a far better match up.

The 4s grade probably don't need a rep game as the majority of blokes aren't the most elite of footy players or athletes and need all the rest they can get with a 18 round season coming up.

What if the best 22 from SCAFL played our 3's and then the second best 22 played the 4's? I agree that the second team that was selected wasn't the best I think a bit of bias helped get some players into the squad that probably didn't deserve a spot. Where as the first year a coach who had nothing to do with that grade came in and genuinely selected the best 22 that were put forward.

You obv
What if the best 22 from SCAFL played our 3's and then the second best 22 played the 4's? I agree that the second team that was selected wasn't the best I think a bit of bias helped get some players into the squad that probably didn't deserve a spot. Where as the first year

You obviously have little idea as to what happened in either of these two years. Year 1 was coached by adfa coach assisted by anu coach. Team heavily laden with numbers from these two clubs. Second year clubs didnt buy in and team scraped numbers together. You are right with one thing guys got a game that shouldnt have. This was because the team lacked numbers. As for bias thats crap and you should state facts if you are going to question someones genuine efforts to put the best side on the park.

You obviously have little idea as to what happened in either of these two years. Year 1 was coached by adfa coach assisted by anu coach. Team heavily laden with numbers from these two clubs. Second year clubs didnt buy in and team scraped numbers together. You are right with one thing guys got a game that shouldnt have. This was because the team lacked numbers. As for bias thats crap and you should state facts if you are going to question someones genuine efforts to put the best side on the park.

Speaking of facts, who was the anu coach the first year?

Greg . Surname starts with o im noy sure of spelling.
Jones from adfa was coach. Both did a good job. May not seem it but quite a difficult task to coach reps. Bring all players from different teams together usually only over a 3 week period for just one game.

I followed the teams pretty closely for both years and was more referring to the 4's but obviously that was my opinion on why the teams under performed on the last outing.

Do any teams have any practice matches coming up the week following after Easter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back