AFL Canberra Season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

So we've established (painfully it seems) it's not Googong which is dropping out of 3rd grade. Any other ideas? It would be a shame if it was Coota, they really found their feet at the back end of the season and were giving the top teams a run for their money.

It's definitely not Ainslie, I can't imagine it is any of ANU, Woden or Molonglo (but stranger things have happened) and ADFA are never short on numbers at the start of a season.

That leaves Bateman's Bay dropping their 3s and keeping their 4s as the other option along with Coota dropping back to 4s.

If it's Coota I think forming a new division makes sense. Have the 7 teams with 2 sides together. It's not batemans bay

Has to be Coota if they are doing a new draw. If it was any two team club it would just create a bye.

Them moving down creates a bye in both competitions. Extremely poor form if it is Coota.
No one knows each clubs circumstances but the timing is very poor. 1 week out from the season. The league perhaps should have been a bit tougher but again there must be reasons.
It'll change every draw massively as if it is Coota they have a women's team so that would have to be changed too.

No one knows each clubs circumstances but the timing is very poor. 1 week out from the season. The league perhaps should have been a bit tougher but again there must be reasons.
It'll change every draw massively as if it is Coota they have a women's team so that would have to be changed too.

Had a chat to Trev from Molonglo after our practice match on the weekend who confirmed it was Coota. Apparently they've lost a few players and also want to align closer to their women's team, which is understandable. But surely those aren't new concerns that appear out of nowhere?

It's just very frustrating that it's been done so late in the piece. Makes it a bit pointless being proactive within our own club trying to get blokes to plan around the draw and also schedule some social functions around days we are all at home when the draw is getting changed yet again.

As has been mentioned, teams always have reasons for these moves and that's fine, but the League is weak as p*ss in relation to enforcing reasonable timeframes to make these calls, which means teams know they've got a lot of leeway to promise to deliver something that may be unlikely and which affects the other sides more than them as there aren't any consequences.

Belconnen with an easy win over ADFA in 4s and ADFA over the Bay in 3s. Games already starting and the league hasn't even worked out a final draw.

Rite so now we know thats its coota . When are we likely to see the new draw . I'm guessing none of the adfa games change . Because we couldnt play them on Anzac Day the league are going to make it a bye for both clubs .

Draw is out, still 15 games for 4's which is great. Do think the chance to have an 8 team finals has been missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

regional comp needs to be brought back. Any team with one side must play in it. Stops 2 club teams being split up. I'm from the bay and we don't have resources to have our teams split. Half our ressies help out on home games but are in Canberra when seniors at home a couple of times. I can guarantee we won't have an umpire at the games we are split

regional comp needs to be brought back. Any team with one side must play in it. Stops 2 club teams being split up. I'm from the bay and we don't have resources to have our teams split. Half our ressies help out on home games but are in Canberra when seniors at home a couple of times. I can guarantee we won't have an umpire at the games we are split
Understand your frustration BD but also wonder if that's the answer under your proposal Yass , Cooma, Coota, Goulburn ,Belco ,Tuggers would play regional Allowing div twos players from Belconnen and Tuggeranong to drop back three grades . Then this would leave Anu ,Ainslie,Batemans bay,Molonglo Googong Adfa as two team clubs in div three and four to play each other three or four times a year . While I don't have the answer nor do I propose to be able to solve the frustrations from two team clubs. But I wonder if it has been suggested to the leauge that single team clubs play division three or heck off all together .

Understand your frustration BD but also wonder if that's the answer under your proposal Yass , Cooma, Coota, Goulburn ,Belco ,Tuggers would play regional Allowing div twos players from Belconnen and Tuggeranong to drop back three grades . Then this would leave Anu ,Ainslie,Batemans bay,Molonglo Googong Adfa as two team clubs in div three and four to play each other three or four times a year . While I don't have the answer nor do I propose to be able to solve the frustrations from two team clubs. But I wonder if it has been suggested to the leauge that single team clubs play division three or **** off all together .

Given there are currently 20 teams, would have thought 2x10 team comps would be suitable.

Regional teams/Belco/Tuggeranong need to work out which 3 are up, and which are down, then can probably promote/relegate the top team in 4s/bottom team in 3s, if required.

Does make for potentially 3 games a year where the two team clubs might have their teams split up, but that's probably better than how it is currently.

ADFA perhaps the only concern, given the timing of their movements and special requirements.

Outside of a structure like this, the return of the regional grade makes most sense. Seems ridiculous to have a 7 team 3rd grade comp and a 13 team 4th grade.

Blah blah blah Ainslie Blah blah blah die all regional teams. Hard for two team clubs agreed, but without regional teams we can't make the game grow. That should be the ultimate outcome.

Blah blah blah Ainslie Blah blah blah die all regional teams. Hard for two team clubs agreed, but without regional teams we can't make the game grow. That should be the ultimate outcome.

Plenty of commentary and no solutions from you as usual Oily.

Understand your frustration BD but also wonder if that's the answer under your proposal Yass , Cooma, Coota, Goulburn ,Belco ,Tuggers would play regional Allowing div twos players from Belconnen and Tuggeranong to drop back three grades . Then this would leave Anu ,Ainslie,Batemans bay,Molonglo Googong Adfa as two team clubs in div three and four to play each other three or four times a year . While I don't have the answer nor do I propose to be able to solve the frustrations from two team clubs. But I wonder if it has been suggested to the leauge that single team clubs play division three or **** off all together .

Belconnen and Tuggeranong will drop back Division 2 players to the lowest grade on offer regardless of whether its a div 4 or regional grade.

I doubt there will be any further growth in the community league until all clubs agree that playing 3rd grade is the expectation of every club.
In my oppinion a 13 team div 3 and a 7 team div 4 rather than the opposite we are currently faced with would be great growth in terms of the league.

Unfortunately I dont see clubs agreeing on that anytime soon for a number of reasons so I think we are stuck in a vicious cycle of point the finger at one another as clubs.

Belconnen and Tuggeranong will drop back Division 2 players to the lowest grade on offer regardless of whether its a div 4 or regional grade.

I doubt there will be any further growth in the community league until all clubs agree that playing 3rd grade is the expectation of every club.
In my oppinion a 13 team div 3 and a 7 team div 4 rather than the opposite we are currently faced with would be great growth in terms of the league.

Unfortunately I dont see clubs agreeing on that anytime soon for a number of reasons so I think we are stuck in a vicious cycle of point the finger at one another as clubs.

I agree with this. I personally would like to see Yass take the next step and move up to div 3 I wonder though wether it would do more harm to a club who can only train once a week, and on a league oval at that .What the Yass committee and current players are concerned about though is it seems that every club bar Woden have not been able to survive the rise . And I guess I can understand it. I'm not privy to any other clubs going on,s but if we take coota for example, I thought last year they preformed rather well in div three now we see them this year drop back to div four and have 5 byes and I'm hearing that they will hard pressed to have full sides away from home. I hope this is not the case . Regardless I think its rite that 1 team clubs either play up a grade or sadly bring back the regional . Good luck to all players and clubs this weekend.

We can talk about pushing teams up.

We saw last year Cootamundra defeat the eventual premiers Woden in Division 3. The question is, is it then too much of a gap between the top sides with two teams, and the sides who only have one team, and can those one club teams be a realistic chance of pushing for a premiership?

Right now I think the balance is right, although I would love to see a team like Belconnen get their two teams back in the near future, and a club like Eastlake branch back into the lower divisions.

Good luck to everyone, it shapes as being an extremely enjoyable and competitive year.

Some very one sided scorelines across all grades on the weekend. Wondering if it continues whether they'll look at a total restructure for next year, perhaps moving ADFA/ANU back into 2s. Certainly appears that something needs to change.

Some very one sided scorelines across all grades on the weekend. Wondering if it continues whether they'll look at a total restructure for next year, perhaps moving ADFA/ANU back into 2s. Certainly appears that something needs to change.
I could be way off but,

Firsts - Eastlake, Belco, Ainslie, Qbn, Tuggers, Jets (I think they would want to be in 1sts and 2nds regardless of short term results..

Seconds - Eastlake, Belco, Ainslie, Qbn, Tuggers, Jets, Anu, ADFA, Woden, Molonglo, Batemans Bay

Thirds - Anu, ADFA, Woden, Googong, Ainslie, Cooma, Goulburn, Yass, Coota, Belco

Fourths - Molonglo, Ainslie, Batemans Bay, Googong, Tuggeranong and an opportunity for one of the teams to put a third side in.. Anu/ADFA etc.

There is a huge gap between 3rd grade and 4th, Just as an example the Goulburn team that beat Molonglo 4ths by 125 points would have lost by the same margin to their thirds, the teams need to be graded a little better. If we weren't so structured and played promotion relegation like the Sydney comp? There will be arguments from everyone trying to look after their own clubs but I think we all agree the results on the weekend in all grades don't make for pretty reading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back