Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Another ‘what could have been’ in the sad story of this ******* dire club. He’ll walk, and I won’t care, even though at one point he was my absolute favourite player and I would have bet the house that he was gonna be a champion.

Now look where we are, things change quickly, and yet being s**t is the same for this club apparently.

This is probably for the draft and trading thread, but I caught a bit of talk on SEN about the midseason trade period that the media is pushing for. The bloke literally said “it’ll be great for the media” and then quickly added “and the fans too”.

Straight away I thought how ****ed we’d be if LDU demanded a trade to a finals contender mid season and we lost our only big bodied mid. I don’t care what picks a club threw at us, our young mids would be fed to the wolves, it’d be terrible for their development.

This is probably for the draft and trading thread, but I caught a bit of talk on SEN about the midseason trade period that the media is pushing for. The bloke literally said “it’ll be great for the media” and then quickly added “and the fans too”.

Straight away I thought how ****ed we’d be if LDU demanded a trade to a finals contender mid season and we lost our only big bodied mid. I don’t care what picks a club threw at us, our young mids would be fed to the wolves, it’d be terrible for their development.
Mid season trade would only benefit the big clubs and finals sides - it would destroy the bottom teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why it won’t happen. Teams are reportedly going to be much tighter with their draft picks before the Tassie team comes in.
That's the irony of the current situation - a club like ours is actually more in a position to pick up gun players on big contracts in the right age group with draft picks.

The only way a mid season draft would work is if the clubs held much more power then they currently do.

I don’t mind it in principle, the problem with all of this stuff is what ever ofal house touches, it’s purely in the interests of the bottom line and not fairness of the competition.
So they’ll mess it up.
It could be cancerous. If you're a good player in a s**t side and get wind of an offer with a contending side mid season, are you gonna go as hard and risk your potential contract? That could really heck with the chemistry in a struggling side.

It could be cancerous. If you're a good player in a s**t side and get wind of an offer with a contending side mid season, are you gonna go as hard and risk your potential contract? That could really * with the chemistry in a struggling side.
Player sounds cancerous anyways, why would you keep that player in the environment.

you could think of it the other way also, teams down the bottom might be able to grab some experienced players pretty cheaply.

Player movement isn’t the issue, its how the afl has set it up is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back