Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU parks talks w/ NMFC - leads team to monster win over WCE w 26d/3clr game in Rd13

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure we can get Darcy Wilson. I'm sure that draftees now have a 3 year contract with the club that drafts them. Call it the JHF rule.
It’s more to do with players wanting out after the first year, giving the club a little more power to say NO.
If the saints are offering a $15m contract, geez I’d hope we make them suitably pay up. After yesterday I can see why they’d be going hard after LDU.

Darcy Wilson and their first rounder for LDU
Dream on. I'm not sure the Saints would let go of Darcy Wilson in a straight swap. Every year the game becomes more about non-stop running, something Luke can't do and Darcy excels at.

Contrary to claims about Luke having checked out and X not giving him an armchair ride, Luke's troubles this year are to do with the speed of our games. He can't keep up, and is getting torched on the spread and in transition. I hate our game plan which exposes players like him. But assuming we keep it, Luke needs less time on ground or to rest forward.

My two cents. LDU having to constantly line up against the oppo best mid is unfair. He’s always against the elite bigger and more experienced 28yr something old.

My two cents. LDU having to constantly line up against the oppo best mid is unfair. He’s always against the elite bigger and more experienced 28yr something old.
He’s 25 and our best mid ffs - man up or piss off

He’s 25 and our best mid ffs - man up or piss off
Geelong has Tuohy/Guthrie protecting their 25 yr olds. Brisbane have Neale, Petracca, Cripps, etc even Fyfe allowing Serong a better matchup.

Every good team has a bigger experienced body taking the pressure off their own LDU types.

You’re being unreasonable. Expecting him to play that role week in and out and then complaining when he’s cooked.

I think it's less that and more there's no one else that the opposition really needs to worry about. So he is dealing with multiple opponents for pretty much four quarters, particularly at stoppages.

Most elite mids in the history of football play with at least one other very high level mid. This idea that LDU should be dealing with the attention he gets week in week out, with very little help, and still maintain some mythical elite standard and work rate, and then when he doesn't he's "B-grade" and disappointing is pretty funny.

He has his flaws but if he goes to another club that actually has other good midfielders, he'll dominate.

I laughed. Unfair! Hahaha poor Luke
The only reason wardlaw gets to show his full potential yesterday is bc LDU is stuck on Steele. 2x AA 28yr old. He’s never winning that battle.

Especially after having to play on Coniglio, Fyfe, Cripps, Neale, etc.

Why do you think we keep rotating in Zurhaar or even P Curtis.

He ain’t going anywhere. Far more likely we bring in an experienced mid. LDU goes down to #2 mid for two years, and Wardlaw to #3. All of a sudden our matchups are more even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's less that and more there's no one else that the opposition really needs to worry about. So he is dealing with multiple opponents for pretty much four quarters, particularly at stoppages.

Most elite mids in the history of football play with at least one other very high level mid. This idea that LDU should be dealing with the attention he gets week in week out, with very little help, and still maintain some mythical elite standard and work rate, and then when he doesn't he's "B-grade" and disappointing is pretty funny.

He has his flaws but if he goes to another club that actually has other good midfielders, he'll dominate.
Yep fair. Either way, the team needs a unit in the middle to help balance it out.

I’m sorry, but Wardlaw has (as a 18/19 YO) on multiple occasions sat on or gone up against the oppositions best mid and relished the chance.

LDU has all the physical tools to be shredding games apart. He lacks and has always lacked the heart, desire and killer instinct to live up to his natural advantages.

First proper year of Clarkso’s rebuild, and he talks about our contested work in every presser. Am I insane or might be deliberately doing this?
Two things I’ve noticed.

1. Our contested game gets spoken about and how the opposition were so much better.

2. He has barely if at all mentioned LDU (apart from that fluff piece on the NMFC after the st kilda practice match in which he made a point of ruffling LDU’s hair and calling out the fact that he and others only had about 12 disposals).

There are little things that don’t add up with Clarkson and Luke.

Last edited:
sheez. lots of excused being made for soemone who should be leading the midfield, not waiting to be led. TBH, this has been the way he has played since day one. Bursts of elite play mixed in with piss poor efforts on transition and defensive workrate. To me he looks like someone really happy to be an AFL player, but not motivated to be the best AFL player he can be. Natural talent has got him this far, and this is as good as it will get without an real attitude change.

Dream on. I'm not sure the Saints would let go of Darcy Wilson in a straight swap. Every year the game becomes more about non-stop running, something Luke can't do and Darcy excels at.

Contrary to claims about Luke having checked out and X not giving him an armchair ride, Luke's troubles this year are to do with the speed of our games. He can't keep up, and is getting torched on the spread and in transition. I hate our game plan which exposes players like him. But assuming we keep it, Luke needs less time on ground or to rest forward.
Come on man, saints supporters might not, but they’re talking about a $15 million offer, what sort of money you really think Darcy would command?

This is probably for the draft and trading thread, but I caught a bit of talk on SEN about the midseason trade period that the media is pushing for. The bloke literally said “it’ll be great for the media” and then quickly added “and the fans too”.

Straight away I thought how ****ed we’d be if LDU demanded a trade to a finals contender mid season and we lost our only big bodied mid. I don’t care what picks a club threw at us, our young mids would be fed to the wolves, it’d be terrible for their development.
Saw this yesterday - a minor league baseballer being traded while on second base.

I’m sorry, but Wardlaw has (as a 18/19 YO) on multiple occasions sat on or gone up against the oppositions best mid and relished the chance.

LDU has all the physical tools to be shredding games apart. He lacks and has always lacked the heart, desire and killer instinct to live up to his natural advantages.
Pretty tough assessment on LDU imo.

Not all the good midfielders are killers.

Wardlaw's a deadset killer.

Takes all types to make a gun midfield setup though.

I wouldn't be pushing him out. He's a talent as you say.

Dumb Clubs contemplate that silliness and we've got to get smarter now.

Clarko knows how good he is. Let him be his project player.

Come on man, saints supporters might not, but they’re talking about a $15 million offer, what sort of money you really think Darcy would command?
I suspect that offer is entirely invented. But, what would Colby command? Doesn't mean we'd trade him for someone like Luke.

Two things I’ve noticed.

1. Our contested game gets spoken about and how the opposition were so much better.

2. He has barely if at all mentioned LDU (apart from that cliff piece on the NMFC after the st kilda practice match in which he made a point of Z ruffing LDU’s hair and calling out the fact that he and others only had about 12 disposals).

There are little things that don’t add up with Clarkson and Luke.
Jumping at shadows and looking to pot Luke at any given chance...

He has attended more cba's than any other mid in the league. There is no ambiguity whatsoever in how Clarko feels about Luke. He's working through attention as he's the only mid demanding it atm...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jumping at shadows and looking to pot Luke at any given chance...

He has attended more cba's than any other mid in the league. There is no ambiguity whatsoever in how Clarko feels about Luke. He's working through attention as he's the only mid demanding it atm...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would love it if he started owning games. He is actually one my favourites. But at what point should we demand better - more consistency at the top standard he is capable of.

He may have attended more CBAs than any other player. That might just be because he has the skill set to be the best in the league at them. He is also probably running through there because he is not versatile enough to be resting elsewhere on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back