Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we could because if he is the only good player on our team then shutting him down means we are finished.

Fatten him up and ship him out, he doesn't want to be there and if he stays, then we are relying on a player who isn't going to perform. Might as well rejig the board and find a new strategy moving forward that might actually turn things around.

Quite often, a big name player leaving forces the club to change and that often inadvertently turn things around.

Zurhaar and LDU both need to go as they are those 8 year players who are not performing at their peak level and the club is revolving around them to do so hence why we are in the ditch. Both of them had their run, they will never get to their potential at our club and if they stayed, they will turn into plodders.

Ship both players out for band 1 picks that we could trade for marquee players.
Sorry to say but JHF, Thomas, McKay, LDU & Zurhaar all leaving in the space of 3 years aint turning things around

Let him gone, we rely on him to lead but there is no support, he is the odd one out and even if he does stay long enough until the 2022 to 2026 crop gets good, he would still be the odd one out.

Him going would get us top picks in which we could trade for other more relevant players.

We need a few solid mature mids to take allow the 2022 to 2026 crop to mature a bit, it's that easy.

Having larkey, xerri, sheezal, simpkin signing until 2030 meaning player for life, we have the future locked away.

The big name players are not even the priority but it's to ensure the likes of taylor, powell, phillips, ford, curtis etc to develop and lock in. These support players are sometimes much more important.
Strange after all this time & the position he plays he’s not or never has been any form of leadership group yet.

Player managers leak like sieves. Everyone in the industry knows that. Some of it’s strategic and some of its because they all have big ego’s and love to get things out in the public.

LDU’s management aren’t going to make an official statement during the year saying their player wants out especially when he still has 18 months to run on an existing contract.
Manager will be shopping him around quietly by now …
Seen this movie before …

Strange after all this time & the position he plays he’s not or never has been any form of leadership group yet.

And there ya go. He is been developed as the prima donna type mid but he doesn't have the character to take up the no.1 mid role save for a few brief moments in 2023.

Sheezal on the other hand has taken it upon himself to be a key pillar from day 1 and he has been rewarded with a contract to 2030. That alone differentiates the attitude and what our direction is...i.e. building a team around sheezal come 2030 and larkey before him

I have a feeling that larkey will get the captaincy role soon.

Sorry to say but JHF, Thomas, McKay, LDU & Zurhaar all leaving in the space of 3 years aint turning things around

These players are scarred players with burden of long defeat, we got the most out of them, now they need to go so we bring in fresh players. It's like a war, you need to constantly rotate the troops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, the aforementioned names, these are not good players.

Our team is being built around larkey, sheezal, xerri and to a lesser extent, comben.
Wardlaw
How Dare You Greta GIF

He is more out than in right now.
The way its heading is that him putting off contract talks is a genuine move to seek a trade this year or exercise his rights through free agency.

Don't think many realise that what the club says to the members and what the club communicates to the players, it seems we just have to cop the rebuild stuff and to be patient.

He is genuinely gone if results don't turn. Think Dusty weighing up our offer in 2017 before Richmond got its s**t together and he stayed.

Unless we can show in the next 12 months we are on the right track, there is no reason for him to extend.

The supporters yelling like mad men on here are doing so because if LDU and Cam leave, were still going to be anchored to the bottom of the ladder regardless of compensation.
Dont blame him for holding but he'd be nuts to leave. This team will be significantly better by 2026 which would be his first year elsewhere. We aint trading him this year for anything short of a kings ransom + some.

He is more out than in right now.
The way its heading is that him putting off contract talks is a genuine move to seek a trade this year or exercise his rights through free agency.

Don't think many realise that what the club says to the members and what the club communicates to the players, it seems we just have to cop the rebuild stuff and to be patient.

He is genuinely gone if results don't turn. Think Dusty weighing up our offer in 2017 before Richmond got its s**t together and he stayed.

Unless we can show in the next 12 months we are on the right track, there is no reason for him to extend.

The supporters yelling like mad men on here are doing so because if LDU and Cam leave, were still going to be anchored to the bottom of the ladder regardless of compensation.
Who gives a toss about the contract talks and what we can show him? Luke has been dreadful so far this year. I hope we have reduced our offer.

He should be our best player and leading the midfield, instead he is being carried around by rookies. Personally I don't want to see clearances or handball receives; his look great, but rarely lead to anything. I want to see him start doing the hard yards: cracking into contests to win contested footy, blocking for his team mates at clearances, and gut running to help the defense. Until he starts doing the basic important stuff, do we actually want him?

Who gives a toss about the contract talks and what we can show him? Luke has been dreadful so far this year. I hope we have reduced our offer.

He should be our best player and leading the midfield, instead he is being carried around by rookies. Personally I don't want to see clearances or handball receives; his look great, but rarely lead to anything. I want to see him start doing the hard yards: cracking into contests to win contested footy, blocking for his team mates at clearances, and gut running to help the defense. Until he starts doing the basic important stuff, do we actually want him?

I don't disagree with that. He is not the player he should be, even in a bottom side. He hasn't shown the character like larkey, simpkin and we don't view him in the same light as sheezal.

He is talented, but how many games has he won off his own boot. I can think of 2 or 3 in 90 games.

Harley Reid has done about the same in 6 games. LDU has everything he has from a skill, talent and physical standpoint. Just not the will.

People fail to admit or acknowledge that the underperformance of 25 year old LDU and 26 year old Zurhaar (amongst Simpkin and others) is why we are here currently.

He is talented, but how many games has he won off his own boot. I can think of 2 or 3 in 90 games.

Harley Reid has done about the same in 6 games. LDU has everything he has from a skill, talent and physical standpoint. Just not the will.

People fail to admit or acknowledge that the underperformance of 25 year old LDU and 26 year old Zurhaar (amongst Simpkin and others) is why we are here currently.
Its that cohort. Dont know whats up with them, maybe they feel left out “unloved” by all of “clarkos cuddles” or threatened by the talent in the team? Whatever it is, these guys are the issue. I dont know why however its been this age group since bard was given the lemon sarse.. problematic. Is it because they have been over paid because of TPP? Now they think they’re better than they are? I believe the money got to TT’s head.. is it happening with all of them?

We shouldn’t have to pay the full TPP. Should be given allowances based on age profile of players at the club. Something like s 15% reduction in TPP because some of these players simply dont deserve it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back