Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – the kid just has 'it'

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with everything your saying but that's probably a bad example lol reckon Selwood was a bit Nathan Jonesy in that he has a great career anywhere. Bloke clearly motivated himself.
Yeah fair enough must admit I was in two minds with the Selwood example because he was a freak. Just that year he had with a super team was unbelievable where he would have still been good in crap side just it wouldn't have been noticed as much.

Yeah fair enough must admit I was in two minds with the Selwood example because he was a freak. Just that year he had with a super team was unbelievable where he would have still been good in crap side just it wouldn't have been noticed as much.
Maybe Horne Francis, looks a bust and a brat at North Melbourne, leaves goes to port and looks every bit a gun without any issues.

Just shows you that it's still hard to tell with 18 year olds. It also helps when these high picks go to established teams rather than rebuilding teams. There was just no expectation on Windsor to impact so early on. Another example of a good pick going to an established team was Selwood (also pick 7) when Geelong had one bad year but were already a good team. I'm not saying he was the missing piece, just saying he wouldn'thave had the same first year had he gone to Carlton or a bottom team.

I agree. With established teams, it is easier to bring in a kid and play them in a clearly defined role where not too much is demanded of them. It is the approach being taken with Windsor and Howes this year. McVee last year etc.

As they get more capable then obviously their role gets expanded; McVee being used as to set up the attack, Rivers getting midfield minutes.

Hunter being injured has helped as it let Windsor get a proper run at AFL level. I don't think dropping young players every other week is good for their development or confidence.

Established teams can still screw it up though. Not intentionally, but due to circumstances like their being no available spot in the team. Woewodin Jr is capable of playing consistently at AFL level every week but there is no spot for him. Laurie is being jerked around as he is in the side once a month and they don't know whether to play him at HF or on the ball; he's the new James Jordon.

I agree. With established teams, it is easier to bring in a kid and play them in a clearly defined role where not too much is demanded of them. It is the approach being taken with Windsor and Howes this year. McVee last year etc.

As they get more capable then obviously their role gets expanded; McVee being used as to set up the attack, Rivers getting midfield minutes.

Hunter being injured has helped as it let Windsor get a proper run at AFL level. I don't think dropping young players every other week is good for their development or confidence.

Established teams can still screw it up though. Not intentionally, but due to circumstances like their being no available spot in the team. Woewodin Jr is capable of playing consistently at AFL level every week but there is no spot for him. Laurie is being jerked around as he is in the side once a month and they don't know whether to play him at HF or on the ball; he's the new James Jordon.
James Jordan was never jerked around. He was lucky to play as many games as he did for us he's pure trash as a footballer. If Laurie's Jordan then thank * he's playing in the 2s

Toby Bedford would be a much better example tbh.

I'm more referring to your cream of the crop guys. Jack Watts turned out okay imo but it would have been way better for him to go to Brisbane or Sydney where he could learn off a Jono Brown or Hall ect. Was really bad to roll Watts out on queens birthday like the way we did. JVR by contrast was near perfect spent a year in the twos developing before making his debut.

Those other guys are more diamonds in the rough stuff. If they are good enough they'll make the team. I think Woewodin could make it and perhaps would get more of a go in another team. I'm less convinced about Laurie but the club has faith. Could argue Bedford they got wrong, but the way we played didn't help him either. Probably not doing Jefferson any favours playing him in the backline in Casey, but he isn't screaming out talent either. I honestly think Windsor cracks into the team regardless of Hunter's fitness.

I'm more referring to your cream of the crop guys. Jack Watts turned out okay imo but it would have been way better for him to go to Brisbane or Sydney where he could learn off a Jono Brown or Hall ect. Was really bad to roll Watts out on queens birthday like the way we did. JVR by contrast was near perfect spent a year in the twos developing before making his debut.

Those other guys are more diamonds in the rough stuff. If they are good enough they'll make the team. I think Woewodin could make it and perhaps would get more of a go in another team. I'm less convinced about Laurie but the club has faith. Could argue Bedford they got wrong, but the way we played didn't help him either. Probably not doing Jefferson any favours playing him in the backline in Casey, but he isn't screaming out talent either. I honestly think Windsor cracks into the team regardless of Hunter's fitness.
Brissy were terrible in Watts early years. Reckon he came into the comp a few years too early before the super tall mids like Cripps and Bont came in. Needed a coach brave enough to see him as something else other than a Key Forward and go hard at developing him as a winger or a mid.

The other question is whether his mindset ever could have been changed enough to make him want to fulfill his potential.

Brissy were terrible in Watts early years. Reckon he came into the comp a few years too early before the super tall mids like Cripps and Bont came in. Needed a coach brave enough to see him as something else other than a Key Forward and go hard at developing him as a winger or a mid.

The other question is whether his mindset ever could have been changed enough to make him want to fulfill his potential.
Yeah I know Brisbane wasn't great but they still had forwards, Watts wouldn't have been the saviour there. I agree that it was a different mindset back in those days he definitely had the skills to play other positions.

I don't think Watts being drafted by another team would have made much of a difference. Whilst he was a gifted athelete he was still supremely lazy.

All things considered, he had a decent AFL career notwithstanding that he didn't live up to expectations. Most players will never reach >150 games. A lot of the negative perception about him is due to being the media's favourite whipping boy for a decade.

If JVR had Watt's skill and athleticm then he would be an absolute monster. Although JVR is in a bit of a form slump, you would never doubt his desire to compete or improve, or question his effort.

Another instant drafting hit. Will be an absolute jet, impressive ability in close too for someone so lightly framed…. Definitely feels like he will move into midfield at some stage.

I’ll probably jinx it now but surely Jason Taylor has to be the best in the business? Hit after hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another instant drafting hit. Will be an absolute jet, impressive ability in close too for someone so lightly framed…. Definitely feels like he will move into midfield at some stage.

I’ll probably jinx it now but surely Jason Taylor has to be the best in the business? Hit after hit.
Taylor best in business agreed.
His strike rate, including later picks, is outstanding.

Late to the party here but I love this kid Windsor!! Class, skill, endurance, size, confidence. What a weapon winger. I can see him playing 200 games in a row from debut.
I’m enthusiastic! Trying not to get fully excited in case I jinx him, but he takes the game on and has some skills that are not common

Wow . we have a newbie looking good . I'm shocked . Lets tear him down so he doesn't get a big head !!. Lets just survive !!

The Bulldogs won't like this stat. They think Sanders is the second coming of christ, even though he is a stock standard accumulator. Reid, McKercher then Windsor from the games i've seen so far in regards to the eye test. Walters is gonna be a beast though. The way he protects the area of the ball coming his way for an 18 year old is insane. He'll be unstoppable in a few years time.

The Bulldogs won't like this stat. They think Sanders is the second coming of christ, even though he is a stock standard accumulator. Reid, McKercher then Windsor from the games i've seen so far in regards to the eye test. Walters is gonna be a beast though. The way he protects the area of the ball coming his way for an 18 year old is insane. He'll be unstoppable in a few years time.
Sanders will be another Matt Crouch.

Sanders will be another Matt Crouch.
It's funny you say that, because i actually typed Matt Crouch out, but put accumulator instead. Sanders can find the footy, but there's just no hurt factor there. I don't think his ceiling is that high either. What you get is what you see. At least they have a 10+ year player who will replace Macrae. I don't mind him, I'm just very glad we didn't draft him. Windsor looks like he has a very high ceiling and has potential for an inside and outside player with serious leg speed and hurt factor with possession.

I was disappointed we went Windsor and thought we should
have gone Curtin. But I was definitely wrong on this. Windsor will be a star. And exactly the type we need.
Will wait and see after 100 games, but yeah, atm eating humble pie in wanting Curtin before Windsor. We do still need some depth in key posts though. so not getting a key backman might hurt us down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back