AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Running and kicking drills at training - 23/3

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Contracted
2. If you don't watch VFL, read posts of people who do.

If you do these things, you'll see that the above statement is stupid
Its not as stupid as you think. I think he would be right in the firing line if he weren't contracted.

You may not like it but there are plenty of people who probably agree with windyhill that he may be in the gun.

1. so was Stewart
2. hence, yours is equally as stupid.
Stewart, an injury prone player that's almost 30 and played 2 vfl games this year. Wanganeen, a 19 year old who's shown plenty since coming on the list.

If you can't tell the difference then that's concerning.
Its not as stupid as you think. I think he would be right in the firing line if he weren't contracted.

You may not like it but there are plenty of people who probably agree with windyhill that he may be in the gun.
Yes it is. He wouldn't be.

I don't like stupidity, so yes, I don't like it. Nice statement.

Yes it is. He wouldn't be.

I don't like stupidity, so yes, I don't like it. Nice statement.

I know this is a forum where debate is invited, this is the second person, may even be the third person who has suggested Tex could/should be in the gun. You can argue all you like but the fact that it is even a suggestion would mean it isn't as fanciful as you think.

I know you like black and white, right now he is grey and you'll need to accept that. He probably didn't deserve the two years, would think it was an effort to thwart off another club as he was no more than ok for a very speculative SSP selection.

I know this is a forum where debate is invited, this is the second person, may even be the third person who has suggested Tex could/should be in the gun. You can argue all you like but the fact that it is even a suggestion would mean it isn't as fanciful as you think.

I know you like black and white, right now he is grey and you'll need to accept that. He probably didn't deserve the two years, would think it was an effort to thwart off another club as he was no more than ok for a very speculative SSP selection.
There is grey. He is not. You made a half cocked statement halfway through the year and have ignored his form after that statement.

It is fanciful.

He was going really good, and I'm happy to hear he's contracted. Wouldn't have put it past the club to let him go if they thought his ceiling isn't high enough.

Plays like he has a great attitude and does the team stuff really well for mine.

Agreed.

He has a very nice blend of an explosive burst of speed, the ability to really kick the ball and real aggression without the ball. He also has the innate ability to crumb a pack at speed.

He seemed to be getting better each week at the zonal play / defensive timing. I'd say he already gets this better than Menzie ever has, for example. He could end up being a really effective pressure player.

He looks to me to have a high ceiling.

Body is still pretty soft. He could just have one of those rigs but it could also be that he's breaking his body in, literally and figuratively.

There is a photo of Tex in the JHA from early in 2021. He then missed that season of footy at Xavier due to injury (which struck before covid from memory).

I still can't believe that kid got himself together to put together a legitimate case for SSP drafting for the 2022 season.

But he did miss the 5ish years of gradual conditioning that he would have received if he was a good junior footy player and got himself into the established pathways. It's not like he was a fit and elite.player from another sport.

He's probably top 3 players on the list I am hoping really clicks into gear this preseason.

A quick, skilful and defensively sound small forward is a desperate need. Hopefully J Davey can join him. Junior looks more of a high half forward.

Agreed.

He has a very nice blend of an explosive burst of speed, the ability to really kick the ball and real aggression without the ball. He also has the innate ability to crumb a pack at speed.

He seemed to be getting better each week at the zonal play / defensive timing. I'd say he already gets this better than Menzie ever has, for example. He could end up being a really effective pressure player.

He looks to me to have a high ceiling.

Body is still pretty soft. He could just have one of those rigs but it could also be that he's breaking his body in, literally and figuratively.

There is a photo of Tex in the JHA from early in 2021. He then missed that season of footy at Xavier due to injury (which struck before covid from memory).

I still can't believe that kid got himself together to put together a legitimate case for SSP drafting for the 2022 season.

But he did miss the 5ish years of gradual conditioning that he would have received if he was a good junior footy player and got himself into the established pathways. It's not like he was a fit and elite.player from another sport.

He's probably top 3 players on the list I am hoping really clicks into gear this preseason.

A quick, skilful and defensively sound small forward is a desperate need. Hopefully J Davey can join him. Junior looks more of a high half forward.

His kicking is unreal - it's improved a lot this year - or maybe moving up the ground has just allowed him to show it off more.

Of the regular 22 at AFL level, I think the obvious four best kicks are Merrett, Langford, Martin & Ridley. I think Tex would be next best if he came in.

A few people here wanting Tex delisted, wow, that would be good, next thing to happen after we delist him, he gets snapped up by Port, and low and behold in about 5-6 years time, he wins a brownlow medal(like his old man), for Port. How many essendon supporters will be getting a case of sour grapes when that happens?

There is one issue Tex needs to be better at and that is playing four quarters. The only reason he did no get a game late in the year was he still went missing for 50% of games .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is one issue Tex needs to be better at and that is playing four quarters. The only reason he did no get a game late in the year was he still went missing for 50% of games .

Agreed - I thought he looked excellent up the ground, but he did go missing at stages. He'd look best on for a quarter and then you wouldn't see him the next.

The talent is there. I don't know if it's the right spot for him, but I wouldn't mind seeing him trialled off a back flank in a few pre-season/intraclub matches.

Whilst probably true, I prefer guys who do a dozen good things to guys who do 25 fairly nothing things.

It's kind of like Archie Perkins. He is doing more but not having a lot more impact.

Will miss part of pre-season after surgery on navicular injured in 2021
So this surgery he's had now is on the navicular injury he had a couple of years back, before he was drafted (when he was in a cast, missed a bunch of U18s and ended up slipping through to the SSP).

So not a new injury, but a chronic one that should hopefully not be chronic anymore after this!

Will miss part of pre-season but hopefully that is the end of it.

Youngster Tex Wanganeen undergoing an operation on a navicular injury in his foot in the latter stages of the campaign. It is the same navicular he has previously injured and will see him spend an extended period on the sidelines over the summer and pre-season.

Progressing well, early stages of a long, conservative rehab program
Young forward Tex Wanganeen underwent an operation on a navicular injury in his foot at the end of the 2023 season and is progressing well with his conservative rehabilitation program. The 20-year-old in the early stages of a long rehab program, with the view for Wanganeen to commence running in mid-December, before reintegrating into training in February.

Wow, that’s almost 1/3 of the list coming off modified programs and surgery. Most of them are repeat offenders. I think at least 1/2 of them will be gone next year unless they have career defining seasons And stay on the park.

Sorry Owen, if that was a bit confusing. I meant 1/3 of the list are coming back from injuries and rehabbing. That’s about 12-14 players who aren’t having uninterrupted preseason. This is a regular preseason for the majority of them. If anyone out of this group doesn’t have a big year I think at least 2/2 of them (6-7 players) will be gone for next year. You cannot get AFL fit by continually being injured. Out of the 14 players mentioned in the injury update, how many of them have had full preseasons in their careers?

Sorry Owen, if that was a bit confusing. I meant 1/3 of the list are coming back from injuries and rehabbing. That’s about 12-14 players who aren’t having uninterrupted preseason. This is a regular preseason for the majority of them. If anyone out of this group doesn’t have a big year I think at least 2/2 of them (6-7 players) will be gone for next year. You cannot get AFL fit by continually being injured. Out of the 14 players mentioned in the injury update, how many of them have had full preseasons in their careers?

tbh if they dish up another end to the season like they did in 2023 I'd be pretty comfortable with just delisting half of the list anyway

Steady progress, has started running in the Alter-G
Fellow forward Tex Wanganeen is progressing steadily following surgery on a navicular injury in his foot at the end of the 2023 season. The 20-year-old has commenced running on the Alter-G machine while continuing in a high-volume off-legs conditioning program.

His season is pretty much shot as he was one guy that needed a full pre season to build his base fitness which has been his biggest weakness. He can play and has the tools to do it at AFL level but he has just not had a shot at getting anywhere fit enough to do it for more than a half of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back