AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Running and kicking drills at training - 23/3

Remove this Banner Ad

If we’re serious about winning another premiership and having another Brownlow Medallist we need to play this bloke in the back pocket for the seniors. Brad just needs the balls of Sheeds to throw him in the deep end.
Well that depends. Is he made of rubber and does he go where angels fear to tread?

Tex Wanganeen

10 disposals, six marks, one goal

A good showing from Tex, especially on review. He was a bit stiff, because he got himself to the right spot so many times, but we were just unable to get it in his hands. As a forward pressure player, he’s always looking to improve and stay active, so definitely some good signs there.

This guy for me is the biggest enigma on the list. He was like Zach Merritt in the twos yesterday in the first quarter. Gee I hope he makes it.

Hoping that he gained a lot of confidence after collecting the pill a bit.
Would love to make it, yeah as Gav's kid, but the pressure he seems to offer up we lack.

Has gone backwards to the point that the only thing saving him would be the contract he has.

Unless he is carrying something and playing sore/injured then explains a fair bit.
Having watched the last couple of Tex's games, he is skating thin ice with his performances of late.

Will echo ant555 thoughts that he simply does not tackle enough or get involved with the match enough.

I would hazard a guess that he is carrying something because there is no zing in his step.

The contract is the only thing saving him at the moment. Would not be surprised if he is paid out as there just is no improvement in key areas. Shows a moment here and there but no constant threat for me to get excited about.

The contract is the only thing saving him at the moment. Would not be surprised if he is paid out as there just is no improvement in key areas. Shows a moment here and there but no constant threat for me to get excited about.
He was close to best on his last VFL game. Hasn't played a game for 3 weeks (played North, held over emergency, bye). Some perspective would be nice.

He has been good the last two games. Not sure how you expect the small forwards to work in the current VFL system and he was the one today who did not give up the chase all day. Davey was much worse than him today. He also was a bit behind during pre season. I doubt they are paying him out. He was in the better players today.

His stints in the middle have helped him get more involved. If Shiel isn't fit I'd bring him in for Weideman

I think he will be better at the higher level

And i like what im seeing at VFL

This is the week to probably give him a run, im not sure how much of a statement Scott will make. It doesnt seem like he will make too many changes citing potentially the week off as an issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At some point you need to be a little bit altruistic with your selection and just pull the trigger.

Bring him in in place of Snelling, yes he’s not absolutely like for like and the production might not be as good immediately but we’ll find out a lot more about him and may find one for the future.

4 goals in the VFL

david after dentist screaming GIF

Tex Wanganeen

15 disposals, four goals

Southport needed to go pretty hard at him after the first half he played. He was just so explosive, making clever decisions and running to all the right spots, while also winning his own ball as well. His ability to get off the chain and spread allowed him to get on the end of some scoring opportunities, so we loved his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back