AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Running and kicking drills at training - 23/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Consulting a surgeon for a foot injury, season done
Consulting a surgeon for a foot injury, season done
Young forward Tex Wanganeen will miss the rest of the season after suffering a foot complaint.

McPherson said the club will provide a more detailed update once the 19-year-old has consulted external medical staff.

“Tex unfortunately pulled up sore post our round 19 VFL fixture,” McPherson said.

"He had some scans late last week, and will consult a surgeon this week to discuss the best plan of action.”

Worrying that his body just won’t hold up
Did he miss much junior footy with foot/ankle stuff?

Just had a quick look, there's been an ankle impingement early last year, played a few games, then a foot injury middle of last year that ended his season.

Then this year he played with an ankle issue a couple of months ago and now another foot thing.

No idea if same foot or same type of injury as it's not specified afaik.

Did he miss much junior footy with foot/ankle stuff?

Just had a quick look, there's been an ankle impingement early last year, played a few games, then a foot injury middle of last year that ended his season.

Then this year he played with an ankle issue a couple of months ago and now another foot thing.

No idea if same foot or same type of injury as it's not specified afaik.

He had the different pathway, perhaps trying to push his running loads up too much too quickly has led to some issues.

Also just quietly it's seemingly another instance of a stress reaction for a player at this club.

He had the different pathway, perhaps trying to push his running loads up too much too quickly has led to some issues.

Also just quietly it's seemingly another instance of a stress reaction for a player at this club.
yeah seems like a number of midfield/Small forward guys have had foot issues this year and tall players have had back issues.

I remember Daniher saying something about the conditioning people don’t want them to overdo the training but he had to improve his goal kicking and he started doing as much practice as possible.

Like before all his injury stuff, early days.

Wonder if the attitude among the conditioning staff changed at some point and resulted in this

I remember Daniher saying something about the conditioning people don’t want them to overdo the training but he had to improve his goal kicking and he started doing as much practice as possible.

Like before all his injury stuff, early days.

Wonder if the attitude among the conditioning staff changed at some point and resulted in this

I'm sure I read somewhere on here recently that they've been giving the guys full training loads all season instead of managing them through?

That could easily lead to a lot of stress type reactions that are generally a result of overloading.

So all the supporters that wanted to see the players be pushed harder and flogged more are seeing the exact result that comes from doing that...

I'm sure I read somewhere on here recently that they've been giving the guys full training loads all season instead of managing them through?

That could easily lead to a lot of stress type reactions that are generally a result of overloading.

So all the supporters that wanted to see the players be pushed harder and flogged more are seeing the exact result that comes from doing that...
Would explain the drop off in intensity (especially by younger guys) in the back half of the year.

I would expect it to still be responsible management.

Just means they’re prioritising training over game day performance, so if they’re tired on game day then so be it, ultimately game day performance will benefit from the training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had like one decently good 'kicking the door down' type of game and then got injured before AFL team selection the same week...
I thought I read people stating he was playing well (enough to replace Davey/Snelling) for about 3 weeks.

I thought I read people stating he was playing well (enough to replace Davey/Snelling) for about 3 weeks.
He's been playing good enough football to be promoted since the first North game.

Jesus. Wanting the players pushed into physical discomfort and a mental challenge zone in Jan does not equate to wanting them to be smashed during the season.

read here or read somewhere knowledgeable?

I thought he was a bit stiff to not get a run in the senior team especially with some of the other small forwards not setting the world on fire.

He was playing well enough to probably get a look in but one factor was he was still not producing over four quarters in most game. It was usually one or two boom quarters. Would not have hurt to have him as the sub a couple of times.

He was playing well enough to probably get a look in but one factor was he was still not producing over four quarters in most game. It was usually one or two boom quarters. Would not have hurt to have him as the sub a couple of times.
Sounds like he would have fit into the senior team pretty well.

Next for the flick ?
1. Contracted
2. If you don't watch VFL, read posts of people who do.

If you do these things, you'll see that the above statement is stupid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back