AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather not have a jack of all trades but a master of none. You do you though.
the full quote is:

A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one

Not every player has to know every position, and sometimes taking them away from a position they're poised to be a star at can interrupt that, and you don't need to play in defence to learn a defensive aspect to your game.

I'd rather not have a jack of all trades but a master of none. You do you though.
So you are saying he will lose his ability to play wing because he is playing 90% the same role at half back and is being asked to defend a little more. Keep living inside the little box and do not look out. :thumbsu:

Looked at good on the wing. His kicking inside 50 and goal threat was huge.

It’s Langford at HB 2.0 is a gun at another position but who plays there if not him?

Might be time to have a look at Roberts ( although I’d try Caldwell there first)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving him to the wing was almost the master stroke that won us the game. However, it shouldn't come to that, wing all day/night for the rest of the season!
It was actually half forward ;)
We use our wings in a defensive running role now days so it may need to be high half forward for Nick.

Not every player has to know every position, and sometimes taking them away from a position they're poised to be a star at can interrupt that, and you don't need to play in defence to learn a defensive aspect to your game.

Wow. He actually knew how to play another spot on the ground when he was moved and the big bad half back move did not wreck his football ability. ;)

I do not think he is a half back but I am not going to sit around complaining that the coach tries something to fix our ball movement out of half back. He was always going to be able to move back up the field and be good in another spot. It is about building the profile of the list.

No coincidence that Redmans best Q was the last when Martin was moved forward.

They are both naturally attacking players who like to play off their opponent and open up the game with their kicking, I just don't think you can have too many of that type in the backline as once it turns over the opposition have free players everywhere.

Also Martin is good for a couple of goals a game so your not reliant on the same goalkickers every week.

Time to move him forward. We looked so much more potent with him up there. His output exceeded what hes been doing back. Redman is definitely a better offensive player with Martin forward. Duursma also lifted in the last so I think he can help provide some of that drive too.

Great last quarter, but really good for the whole game too

Had his obligatory biting off more than he could chew moment for the Mihocek goal, but he’s obviously got license to thrill.

That goal in the phone booth in the last - 🤩

Don’t think we have enough pace or foot skill in the backline to permanently move him away from there yet.
That is the issue short term for sure.

As soon as Ridley back I would move Martin forward. With our clearance dominance atm he could snag 4 a game.

Also, with the much improved performance of McGrath it is not as critical IMO.

One of our big deficiencies is conversion % for forward entries. Martin could fix it. Goals are the name of the game, time to get him forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back