AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

So glad we picked up both. Would've been spewing if we missed out on Martin. He looked so calm with the ball and always seemed to find space

FMRBKFJagAEX1Pv

Colours look good on Nick Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been good and is an impressive type with a lot of AFL attributes.

That you can pick up the raw ability of Kyle Langford with almost identical physical characteristics at 20 yo during the SSP period further demonstrates the idiosyncrasies in recruiting.

I struggle to believe that at an objective level Martin isn't a better prospect, with a better set of AFL attributes, than half of the kids drafted in 2021.

That's no guarantee of success, look at JUH plod around a field like a headless chook to see how uncertain things can be, but it's a very good start.

Last edited:
That you can pick up the raw ability of Kyle Langford with almost identical physical characteristics at 20 yo during the SSP period further demonstrates the idiosyncrasies in recruiting.

I struggle to believe that at an objective level Martin isn't a better prospect, with a better set of AFL attributes, than half of the kids drafted in 2021.

That's no guarantee of success, look at JUH plod around a filed like a headless chook to see how uncertain things can be, but it's a very good start.

I think identical physical characteristics is a stretch. Both have very similar play styles at AFL level but Langford at TAC cup was capable of dominating games as a marking forward and when he last played VFL he looked a man amongst boys with his extra size.

I could be completely wrong though 3cm height difference isn’t much and Martin could really fill out over the next 12-24 months.

I think identical physical characteristics is a stretch. Both have very similar play styles at AFL level but Langford at TAC cup was capable of dominating games as a marking forward and when he last played VFL he looked a man amongst boys with his extra size.

I could be completely wrong though 3cm height difference isn’t much and Martin could really fill out over the next 12-24 months.

At this point it’s almost a genetic lottery, pick a skinny kid wit tools and hope they’re an absolute genetic jackhammer capable of putting on bulk and not losing coordination, tank and speed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back