AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Is horrible defending aerial or helping out 3rd man up. But ideally for me a wingman has some ability to get back and cover anyway so why not try it until preferred users are ready.

Not many players can use the ball and rack up the touches like him. I'd keep him there until Ridley back or roberts gets a chance.
Roberts is doing his good work on a wing. So you are saying he should go to half back because he is a good user of the footy ? Is that not the same argument ?

Roberts is doing his good work on a wing. So you are saying he should go to half back because he is a good user of the footy ? Is that not the same argument ?
Same argument but Roberts appears much better in a aerial contest, and at defending than Martin to me.

Seems better suited at hbf than Martin but might be too similar to McGrath.

Martin obviously a better player but costs a goal or two each week since being back there from not competing in the air when needing to.

Do you guys think this guy is a lock for half back now, or will he move back up the ground?
he'll get DPP for sure in supercoach as he has played 100% back and the change is next week I believe. Even if he plays wing he still will score well for a defender. The worry is if he gets moved into forward line.
Last year he was averageing 90-100 on wing but then got moved to forward line and dropped to 70s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this. Hence, why I asked the question. I haven't watched you guys this year, but I know Martin is a very good user of the footy normally, so why isn't him getting 30 touches off half back a good thing?
he doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body. stats wise he’s doing great but he really can’t defend, he’s better on the wing as he’s historically had phenomenal forward entry skills

I know this. Hence, why I asked the question. I haven't watched you guys this year, but I know Martin is a very good user of the footy normally, so why isn't him getting 30 touches off half back a good thing?
He can still find the footy, but he's a bit lost at HB compared to his ability to either create a goal assist or even hit the scoreboard himself.

I actually think he will settle and he will be great at it (so don't worry about trading him in). The other issue is that he is standing on Redman's toes a bit and Redman has lost one of his major weapons. We are a bit confused as to why Martin had to be that guy.

a lot of the backline distributors in other teams dont have a defensive bone in their body either but the system/other players cover for them. We are only 4 games into this experiment and he has got better every week, I hope they show patience.

Players that use the ball well going inside 50 are much more valuable than those kicking out from defence.

Disagree, think of all those times we've been stuck coming out of defence due to lack of good kicks.

Daicos and Coleman basically won finals setting up play from a HBF too. Precise kicking off the half-back line is incredibly important in modern football with a high defensive press.

Disagree, think of all those times we've been stuck coming out of defence due to lack of good kicks.

Daicos and Coleman basically won finals setting up play from a HBF too. Precise kicking off the half-back line is incredibly important in modern football with a high defensive press.
yep half our issue last week was we were pegged into our d50 once they went 1 on 1 because we had no tall capable of giving us the chop out contested mark down the line. You would hope when ridley is back and martin gets more comfortable in the role we can start utilising their long kicking games to transition (till caddy is old enough to be our big roaming CHF :D )

How the s**t is this week only the great man’s 50th game!?

Keen for a big one, similar to his first game would be chefs kiss

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Damn 50 games already since that awful game on a beautiful sunny afternoon at the G.
There were cows out the front cos it was the farm game or whatever and Warnie had just died so his statue was surrounded with VBs.

I heard so much about Nick Daicos and how he played the greatest first 50 games. Martins haven’t been to bad. No big games compared to Naicos but still very good in an average side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back