Player Watch #37 Matthew Parker - Returned home to WA effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

One of our best on the weekend, Kicked 3 goals, over 20% of our total score and we should drop him? Weird
Think he's been good, let's face it, he is a Mitch Robinson type, a bit rough around the edges but competes at 100% so what you see is what you get.

Yes he is going to commit some clangers from time to time but if we had the same level effort from the rest of the team as he has contributed then we might have jagged another win to this point in the season.

No doubt he is going to be inconsistent at times (like most of our players recently) but I think the coaches look at intent and he has plenty of that.

I think you selling him a bit short at the moment. You can only be judged on what you are doing, not because he is at a second club, not because you don't think he is much chop, those opinions don't count if he is putting runs on the board. He has been very good two weeks in a row. If it was round 10 not round 4 and we were travelling poorly as a side I might agree with you, but it is just 3 rounds in and the season is still very much alive, so go with your strongest side.
I did preface that in my couple of comments to be fair.

And I am judging him on what he is doing... His first half was great on Sunday, sure, but his second half was non existent (yes I acknowledge he's not on his Pat Malone there)... And that's him most weeks...

He tries his guts out, so full credit to him, I'm not trying to knock him as a person, but looking forward as a team/club, I think his position in the side is better served by using it on a younger draftee...

Same argument could be made for Aarts as well....

I did preface that in my couple of comments to be fair.

And I am judging him on what he is doing... His first half was great on Sunday, sure, but his second half was non existent (yes I acknowledge he's not on his Pat Malone there)... And that's him most weeks...

He tries his guts out, so full credit to him, I'm not trying to knock him as a person, but looking forward as a team/club, I think his position in the side is better served by using it on a younger draftee...

Same argument could be made for Aarts as well....
I think his position in the side may also be better served with say Cumberland or Stack, especially long term, but right now he is doing well, you have to reward that. I would have George out easily before Parker.

Parker has his obvious limitations and a few flaws ... EVERY footballer has flaws.
But he gives it a good ol' fashioned crack and in the cold light of day, what he has produced the last two weeks has been pretty good and has to be said a whole lot more than what Castagna and Aarts have produced since the strat of last year.
I know which of the three I'd have with me in the trenches.

I think he has potential for more improvement. Absolute worse case he puts pressure on guys like Aarts and Castagna which can only be a good thing.
Not only those senior types, but also the new recruits, Sonsie et al, who can see how hard they need to train and play to get over Parker and into the seniors. He has deficiencies for sure, but he brings 100% effort and attitude from what I've seen so far. What's he like on the track...anyone know? Chirpy or quiet, but cracks in during drills?

This blokes not even close to AFL standard. I'll grant that he gets a reasonable number of possessions, he can fire it in long but his disposal accuracy when trying to hit an actual target is abysmal. Their first 2 goals were a direct result of his turnovers. Like Riewoldt and Castagna he'll take shots rather than dish off to an open teammate who's in a superior position to convert. And the thing that f@ck$ me off most about him is how slow he is to take his kick especially when we cause a turnover he'll hold off so long giving the opposition every chance to get back and stuff up our forwards. This guy's a list clogger. We've gotta find spots for Lambert, Grimes, Gibcus, McIntosh, Dusty, Sonsie, MRJ, Clarke he needs to make way as his best just isn't good enough. We all got fooled by him kicking 3 in 1/2 game against the saints. Adios Muchachos!!!!

Get the heck out.

If we waste another minute of this waste of space then I give up. Doesn't have any talent and regularly gives away s**t free kicks. Waste of a spot in the 22 and waste of a spot on the list. Ridiculous that we recruited him last year, gave him game time last year and now are repeating the very same mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, AFL teams can’t be like Manchester City and recruit the best players available and pay them squillions… we need hardened bodies on minimum chips to play when we are missing Martin, Lambert and MRJ, Sonsie, Clarke, Banks, Cumberland and the like aren’t quite ready.
Yes, he’s not elite by any means but he has a crack.
In an ideal world he would be an integral part of this year’s VFL flag.

Unfortunately, AFL teams can’t be like Manchester City and recruit the best players available and pay them squillions… we need hardened bodies on minimum chips to play when we are missing Martin, Lambert and MRJ, Sonsie, Clarke, Banks, Cumberland and the like aren’t quite ready.
Yes, he’s not elite by any means but he has a crack.
In an ideal world he would be an integral part of this year’s VFL flag.
I disagree a little TIA...

Him playing is worse than the Petterd type days/recruits... they were there to protect Cotchin, Martin etc coming through as we had little to no experienced types to take the workload...

Where we are now, we have Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Edwards and Lambert at the top end to do that...

The issue we face is, if they are all fit, Dimma is still playing them all as if they are as young and fit as they were 4 years ago, he's not transitioning any of them out to allow the kids to play... Or we play them horribly out of position to fit our aging stars in...

I would rather play all of RCD, Ross, Sonsie, Cumberland, Brown, Dow even MRJ in the team before I play Parker...

The kids need game time, and it's on our stars to make that transition happen, not gap fillers....

Just look at Gibcus, maybe thrown in early, but taken it all in his stride, and we will be better for the long run...

If Parker is playing mid, play Dow, RCD, Ross
If Parker is playing fwd, play Cumberland, MRJ, Sonsie

If we are brutal, we aren't winning the flag this year, so we need to be proactive/progressive with our player transition rather than paddle for a year or two...

I know I would rather the kids learn from Cotch, Martin, Lambert than Parker, just my opinion of course.

I disagree a little TIA...

Him playing is worse than the Petterd type days/recruits... they were there to protect Cotchin, Martin etc coming through as we had little to no experienced types to take the workload...

Where we are now, we have Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Edwards and Lambert at the top end to do that...

The issue we face is, if they are all fit, Dimma is still playing them all as if they are as young and fit as they were 4 years ago, he's not transitioning any of them out to allow the kids to play... Or we play them horribly out of position to fit our aging stars in...

I would rather play all of RCD, Ross, Sonsie, Cumberland, Brown, Dow even MRJ in the team before I play Parker...

The kids need game time, and it's on our stars to make that transition happen, not gap fillers....

Just look at Gibcus, maybe thrown in early, but taken it all in his stride, and we will be better for the long run...

If Parker is playing mid, play Dow, RCD, Ross
If Parker is playing fwd, play Cumberland, MRJ, Sonsie

If we are brutal, we aren't winning the flag this year, so we need to be proactive/progressive with our player transition rather than paddle for a year or two...

I know I would rather the kids learn from Cotch, Martin, Lambert than Parker, just my opinion of course.
3ji1vg.jpg

But seriously, you make a valid point, however, Parker wasn't a national draft/rookie/psd pick but a mid season "needs must" pick.
In my humble opinion, he's not in the team at near full strength.

All the best Parko, didnt get to play many games but was a solid contributor. Family should always come first.
we shouldve played this bloke this year over aarts and george

wouldve won 1 or 2 of the close games

Good on him for getting back to the level and having another crack. Had the odd exciting purple patch but probably just lacked consistency of performance to stay in the team and then build from there. Hope the move back to WA helps his and his family's life moving forwards :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back