Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me where you think his contract would fall? This is the official AFL pay Bands. (they got sick of the media calling it the secret herbs and spices) For mine top 5% Too high. Top 15% prob just misses out but maybe?. Top 30% easily sh1t it in. Clubs manipulate the contracts to ensure the compensation is acceptable. Doedee and Gresham got end of 1st round picks and they're both unwanted spuds. So instead of sh1t canning posters with actual opinions, what would you say he'd be worth. Here's the pay bands since you're probably too lazy or ill informed to actually know. Don't forget how many desperate clubs have over rated spuds over the years. And nobody at the club wants to see tubby any longer, they were spewing JHF deal went through and that stupid trigger clause screwed us last year. 100% he's gone.

Top five per cent = first-round pick
  • Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick
  • Top 30 per cent = second-round pick
  • Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick
  • Top 70 per cent = third-round pick
Well aware of what the compo bands are, and there is more to it than just how much money their contract is worth. It is also based on age, length of contract and base value of the contract. On rough calculations Graham would need to sign a contract with a base value of $600+k a season to be inside the top 30% of contracts next year and I don't see either SA club offering him that sort of money for someone I consider a role player and many here consider to be a slow poorly skilled can't kick, can't hurt opponents list clogger. Which is why I enjoy posts like yours above. You rubbish a player on one hand and then expect an opposition club will overpay to bring them across just so we can get a really nice compo pick in return.

As I said if Graham is playing at a level that does see an opposition club make him an offer that nets us a compo pick after our 2nd round pick, then surely we'd be better off keeping him because then he wouldn't be playing like a slow poorly skilled can't kick, can't hurt the opposition list clogger would he.

Pickett is in the middle a lot too. Tagged OK last week, not sure if its permanent
Forgot about Pickett. I had him starting mid in my mocked side this week.

He was good as a defensive mid last game, he has the speed to keep up with the play/player. Does my head in with basic mistakes, that handball at a teammates shins from 2 metres away that led to Melbourne's first or second goal, but waiting for a game where he switches on for the whole game.

You’re embarrassing yourself.
He’s finished.
Maybe, but it's not as embarrassing as supporters shitting on their teams players because they're not meeting expectations

this is a going to be a massive elephant in the room.

if no one wants Jack Graham.... as I suspect they won't

he will be delisted/rookied as a 26yo and will be very embarrassing for everyone concerned.

Just looking through all the AFL teams and i actually can't find a player slower than JGTI . People need to look at the Geelong model and where the RFC failed. It's bc they are smart enough to upgrade their bottom six. The RFC has unfortunately gone to the 90's model by hanging onto list cloggers for too long expecting them to morph into Bourke, Bartlett, Keane. Hart. LEE, Flea etc etc.

this is a going to be a massive elephant in the room.

if no one wants Jack Graham.... as I suspect they won't

he will be delisted/rookied as a 26yo and will be very embarrassing for everyone concerned.

Saddest thing is last time he was out of contract he had Essendon, Adelaide and the Blues all chasing him hard. The Blues offered us basically the Cerra deal they did a year later. And this was when they were signing Williams for $750k and McGovern for $800k. Was shattered we decided to keep him and anyone who expressed we should've taken the 1st rounder for him was slammed by the clueless fanboys who touted he was our next captain, HOF, 2nd coming of Jesus just about.

When good players get back? The "best 22" lost the first 2 games.
Stop re-writing history in the hope nobody notices Tora.

In the "Opening Round" there was no Lynch, Dusty, Mansell or Nank for starters (or Graham, if he's still best 22) in the squad.

Then Round 1 we lost Prestia, Young and Gibcus before half time, which not only meant we had those best-22 blokes absent for more than a half, but it happened in-game, which multiplies the effect.

Stop re-writing history in the hope nobody notices Tora.

In the "Opening Round" there was no Lynch, Dusty, Mansell or Nank for starters (or Graham, if he's still best 22) in the squad.

Then Round 1 we lost Prestia, Young and Gibcus before half time, which not only meant we had those best-22 blokes absent for more than a half, but it happened in-game, which multiplies the effect.
good point I reckon most clubs would only play/have available their best 22....3 or 4 times every couple of years

good point I reckon most clubs would only play/have available their best 22....3 or 4 times every couple of years

If we had our best 22 in all year, i reckon we would probably finish 9-12th.

Our injuries are saving us from ourselves, - helping us do the thing we should have been doing after 2021..... rebuilding

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, interest in him from other clubs is diminishing with each poor performance.
I can't see too many teams being interested him at all at this rate.
So nobody else is interested in him, which is understandable, and yet you could put money on him remaining in the team even when all the injured players return.

Everyone can see what's obvious. Except us.

I can't see anyone after him. He used the contract trigger this year , but as you say the club should not offer him another contract if there are no suitors outside us. He's absolute rubbish now and below a list clogger.
If there are no suitors the club will offer him a reduced contract on low salary to keep as depth
He wont be delisted

Saddest thing is last time he was out of contract he had Essendon, Adelaide and the Blues all chasing him hard. The Blues offered us basically the Cerra deal they did a year later. And this was when they were signing Williams for $750k and McGovern for $800k. Was shattered we decided to keep him and anyone who expressed we should've taken the 1st rounder for him was slammed by the clueless fanboys who touted he was our next captain, HOF, 2nd coming of Jesus just about.
thanks

now im melting

If there are no suitors the club will offer him a reduced contract on low salary to keep as depth
He wont be delisted
Exactly what I can see happening with Graham. IMO Yze will still see value in him, but he needs to have the top flight midfielders around him so that he can be used in a way that suits his strengths.

He wont be delisted

To me this just exacerbates the issue. He's had a solid run of opportunities to become "The Man" as he's been played when fit 99% of his career and carried without fear of being sub or dropped regardless of form. Dow, Ross, Sonsie and Mcaulliffe deserve to be given a fair crack at constant games and those not up to it in a few years should be delisted or traded. It's pointless playing a bung average 27 yo constantly who serves up C class footy.

We've had long enough to find out what Graham can offer. Mcaulliffe and Sonsie will serve up some mixed performances ranging from D to A grade but the only way they can reach their full potential and hopefully become regular A/B grade players is by getting put in the furnace and pump 50 games in them. Graham has had his time in the sun and it's far better in the long run to ride the bumps with the kids than play a list clogger who's completely stagnated and proven he's not up to it. Ross for mine is already far superior than Graham and I'm spewing he's injured now because I reckon he'd thrive being looked to deliver.

To me this just exacerbates the issue. He's had a solid run of opportunities to become "The Man" as he's been played when fit 99% of his career and carried without fear of being sub or dropped regardless of form. Dow, Ross, Sonsie and Mcaulliffe deserve to be given a fair crack at constant games and those not up to it in a few years should be delisted or traded. It's pointless playing a bung average 27 yo constantly who serves up C class footy.

We've had long enough to find out what Graham can offer. Mcaulliffe and Sonsie will serve up some mixed performances ranging from D to A grade but the only way they can reach their full potential and hopefully become regular A/B grade players is by getting put in the furnace and pump 50 games in them. Graham has had his time in the sun and it's far better in the long run to ride the bumps with the kids than play a list clogger who's completely stagnated and proven he's not up to it. Ross for mine is already far superior than Graham and I'm spewing he's injured now because I reckon he'd thrive being looked to deliver.
Ross is a good example but he’s also an example of the type of player that we need to replace Graham.
Role players or Humble players like Graham, Lambert, Grigg even going as far back as Tuck you need them.
I’ve said it before I’d rather we explore another players and their potential than to keep Graham.
The reason we got Hopper is because Graham can’t play that role well enough.
Graham isn’t very good at any one thing at this level. It’s a bloody high level and there aren’t many who can play at it.
Dow has deficiencies, more than one but he is very good at a couple of things. He s going to need players around him to cover that, it’s not once this season that his direct oppo has been in the bests.
The point I’m making is if we don’t have a Graham could you trust a Sonsie, Dow or any other to play that Humble role well.
Ross is the replacement, I reckon.

Only having one might be a mistake.

It's pointless playing a bung average 27 yo constantly who serves up C class footy.
Just wanna say, it’s the highest level the game can be played at.
It’s not luck he was captain of his State three years in a row and it’s not luck he’s played over 100 games for a team that’s won three flags during his career.
He’s in the top 1% of Australia for his sport.
It’s not common.

I can see the benefit of his spot being open but if I ever saw him out for dinner he wouldn’t be paying for that or I’d make sure he’d have a drink at hand and not just one.

This may be a surprise to you, but I don't really disagree with any of this except for one thing.

While our younger players should be and are getting opportunities and role players like Graham should be phased out, we shouldn't be doing what the likes of North & Hawthorn did and clearing out all our older experienced players at once as it will leave us exposed when the inevitable injuries hit in 2025.

If we were to lose Martin Grimes Prestia McIntosh & Baker at seasons end then keeping around the likes of Graham for a year or 2 as a bit of depth we can lean on if needed. The last thing we want to become is uncompetitive which then leads to other players starting to think about moving to greener pastures when their contracts are up, which could then lead to a never ending spiral where we take 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back.

A lot of average blokes getting multi year deals. He’d have a few interested
agree with this in so many ways
but those other mediocre fellas are probably a little bit taller, quicker, can kick a bit further, better overhead, less injury prone and can plug more holes.

since the game has changed and become more modern and with injuries jack has become like a dvd player.....
still has some usage and handy enough not to throw out. but still clutter (give away) because no one is buying anymore.

Norf melbourne will offer Jack Graham 5 year $4 million dollar deal and will prance him out as the Premiership player the managed to entice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back