Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt this will be well received,

Nor me. He's not a star midfielder by any means and made his name with us playing a role, that allowed our better mids to flourish. When Yze eventually gets a more settled line up, that can play some consistent footy together, I can see Graham getting back to playing a similar role again and I can definitely see him re-signing with us much to the displeasure of a few
I'm in no doubt he gets resigned by us. Walk up start under 3 coaches.

When is this more settled line up arriving? Next week, month, year?

Post 2022 I gave up on team selection melting. Just too complex for me. It reminds me of Pure Maths at school.

1714172467679.png

When good players get back? The "best 22" lost the first 2 games..

This Dimma/Mini/Yze "best 22" that took us from 13 to 8 to 13 to 17

A number of players not playing great.. Dusty, Nank is down a bit over the last couple of seasons, Short.

In the meantime Losses in the next Freo away, Dogs, Lions, EFC, Adelaide, Hawks, Blues, Freo, GWS, Port, Pies, then 2 games at Marvel which we haven't won at for years,
Suns at the G.

Hope the game plan kicks in soon, cos we are looking at spooning it I fear.

Last edited:
I'm in no doubt he gets resigned by us. Walk up start under 3 coaches.

When is this more settled line up arriving? Next week, month, year?

Post 2022 I gave up on team selection melting. Just too complex for me. It reminds me of Pure Maths at school.

View attachment 1972137
It's going to be a while unfortunately. Taranto & Ross are up to 8 weeks away and Hopper is now out 3 weeks. So until they get back Graham is going to be asked to play as a leading midfielder and it's not a role he excels at, hence the frustration by many fans.

Wouldn't you rather have a young player getting more experience at the highest level? If it was this season we'd probably still end up with the same draft picks but the young kid (Sonsie or McAuliffe for example) will be better for the experience
It's a balancing act, with our current injury crisis through the midfield, we can't just throw in the likes of Dow Sonsie & McAuliffe without having some senior experience around them. At the moment, like it or not, Graham is one of our best available midfielders and as mentioned is being asked to play a role that doesn't suit his strengths.

Therein lies the problem. I mentioned last night that Graham is a role player, who supports the stars by allowing them to be more influential offensively while he does a lot of the grunt work defensively. The problem at the moment is that our star midfielders are injured, so they're asking Graham to fill the void and be an attacking weapon, when that is not a strength and when he doesn't perform in that role the fans get frustrated and sink the boots in.

If he remains with us in 2025 and beyond, then I would like to see us play him as a defensive midfielder who can run with an opponent around the ground and can be the defensive sweeper at stoppages, that then allows the likes of Taranto Hopper Ross Dow and co to worry about winning the footy and getting it going our way. That is how he made his name early on and they've tried to make him a different type of player over the last few seasons and become more attacking and it doesn't suit his strengths.
But why settle for second best. Defensive mids that get the ball are much more effective. I can see Macaulife as this type, strong at the ball but also at the man. Besides Taranto and Hopper are quite defensive as well, both are good tacklers. What we need most is a bit of pace around the ball, Dow, Bolton and even McAuliffe have that. Prestia and Ross a mix of both.

Where does Graham fit into a fit midfield when he is not even in there right now.

It's a balancing act, with our current injury crisis through the midfield, we can't just throw in the likes of Dow Sonsie & McAuliffe without having some senior experience around them. At the moment, like it or not, Graham is one of our best available midfielders and as mentioned is being asked to play a role that doesn't suit his strengths.
You are probably right right now. But why not back your younger brigade and some not so young like Bolton. MRJ could run through there, Sonsie. They might just surprise.

But why settle for second best. Defensive mids that get the ball are much more effective. I can see Macaulife as this type, strong at the ball but also at the man. Besides Taranto and Hopper are quite defensive as well, both are good tacklers. What we need most is a bit of pace around the ball, Dow, Bolton and even McAuliffe have that. Prestia and Ross a mix of both.

Where does Graham fit into a fit midfield when he is not even in there right now.
You are probably right right now. But why not back your younger brigade and some not so young like Bolton. MRJ could run through there, Sonsie. They might just surprise.
I mentioned last night, that I would like to see a midfield unit built around a core of Taranto Hopper Ross Graham Dow Sonsie & McAuliffe. For me that gives us a nice blend of ball winning ability, offensive creativity and defensive accountability. Then you can use an explosive player in Bolton for short bursts when you're looking at changing momentum or to further dominate.

As for the younger brigade, they are getting their chance, but we can't just throw them to the wolves so to speak. Put some bigger bodied experience around them so they're not just getting beaten up by the oppositions bigger midfielders. While it may seem bad at the moment, we're going to reap the benefits from what we're going through at the moment down the track when we do get our best players back.

True enough but I think back to 22 and Sonz's great debut half year. Including a good final, in JG's absence.

In 23 TT AND JH into the club meant Prestia ended up half fwd, JG retained his spot and Mansell locked in Georges spot,

a year lost development of Ross as a mid, Sonz etc.

A 2 year injury crisis hasn't helped but TT AND JH, has been a failure. As has lack a KPF. FMD we should have tried harder to extract a GWS KPF. HH/Riccardi would've been handy right now

When good players get back? The "best 22" lost the first 2 games..

This Dimma/Mini/Yze "best 22" that took us from 8 to 13 to 17

A number of players not playing great.. Dusty, Nank is down a bit over the last couple of seasons, Short.

In the meantime Losses in the next Freo away, Dogs, Lions, EFC, Adelaide, Hawks, Blues, Freo, GWS, Port, Pies, then 2 games at Marvel which we haven't won at for years,
Suns at the G.

Hope the game plan kicks in soon, cos we are looking at spooning it I fear.
Does finishing low on the ladder hurt us or help us?

If we lose Graham via free agency our compo won't be as bad as it would be if we finish higher up the ladder.

Does finishing low on the ladder hurt us or help us?

If we lose Graham via free agency our compo won't be as bad as it would be if we finish higher up the ladder.
Based on recent history JG will go around for RFC again. Not good enough to trade....He will trigger a contract extension clause.
At which I will be triggered.

Based on recent history JG will go around for RFC again. Not good enough to trade....He will trigger a contract extension clause.
I can't see anyone after him. He used the contract trigger this year , but as you say the club should not offer him another contract if there are no suitors outside us. He's absolute rubbish now and below a list clogger.

Graham to me is someone we keep if we lose Baker and/or we have a group of older players retire or get delisted. As I said he isn't a star but he can play a role moving forward as part of a well rounded midfield group. Having said that, in the off chance that he does get offered a deal we shouldn't match then he leaves and we get rewarded with a pick

I mentioned last night, that I would like to see a midfield unit built around a core of Taranto Hopper Ross Graham Dow Sonsie & McAuliffe. For me that gives us a nice blend of ball winning ability, offensive creativity and defensive accountability. Then you can use an explosive player in Bolton for short bursts when you're looking at changing momentum or to further dominate.

As for the younger brigade, they are getting their chance, but we can't just throw them to the wolves so to speak. Put some bigger bodied experience around them so they're not just getting beaten up by the oppositions bigger midfielders. While it may seem bad at the moment, we're going to reap the benefits from what we're going through at the moment down the track when we do get our best players back.
I get that but I would still like to see MacAuliffe given a real shot at that role and Graham can come in if and when needed. Would like to see us give it a try as I think Dow and MRJ are playing with more confidence. MacA must be getting very itchy feet and Sonsie will surely come in with some fire in his belly. No doubt Graham's bigger body will be helpful, but MacA if a big strong kid also, and very aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that but I would still like to see MacAuliffe given a real shot at that role and Graham can come in if and when needed. Would like to see us give it a try as I think Dow and MRJ are playing with more confidence. MacA must be getting very itchy feet and Sonsie will surely come in with some fire in his belly. No doubt Graham's bigger body will be helpful, but MacA if a big strong kid also, and very aggressive.
Sure Kane is a big strong kid, but he is also a first year player, as such he isn't going to be able to play as a full time midfielder that has a big impact at the highest level. McAuliffe will get his chance as a full time midfielder, but it shouldn't be happening at this point in time IMO, wait until we get our full midfield back on the park and then throw him in there.

Sure Kane is a big strong kid, but he is also a first year player, as such he isn't going to be able to play as a full time midfielder that has a big impact at the highest level. McAuliffe will get his chance as a full time midfielder, but it shouldn't be happening at this point in time IMO, wait until we get our full midfield back on the park and then throw him in there.
Not a full timer. I think a combination of all our young mids together and add Baker, Bolton and Dusty to the mix might be a different look. Not sure that Graham even with his big body is all that beneficial because he doesn't help us get first hands on the ball, the no.1 problem our small and young midfield has. I would even like to see Mansell run through there for real physicality and hardness at the ball and the man. I think he would acquit himself better than expected.

Jack was good for us in our halcyon days.

he played his role and made our stars look good, now we are back to mediocrity jack is being exposed.

slow, poor overhead, cant kick over 45m, no left foot and injury prone. (come at me if you wanna defend him)

he's holding us back. even his once trademark tackling, pressure and harassment has deserted him and been replaced by fumbling, clumsiness and coughing the ball up.

opposition coaches know he's only going to get it 12 to 18 times a game so they hone in and exploit his deficiencies.

Reid and Kane are practically the same size, Kane manages to run rings around men in the VFL dunno what more he needs to do to get a proper shot it the midfield at AFL. Dow has never put two 30 disposal games together in the VFL let alone his first two.

Not a full timer. I think a combination of all our young mids together and add Baker, Bolton and Dusty to the mix might be a different look. Not sure that Graham even with his big body is all that beneficial because he doesn't help us get first hands on the ball, the no.1 problem our small and young midfield has. I would even like to see Mansell run through there for real physicality and hardness at the ball and the man. I think he would acquit himself better than expected.
As I said yesterday, I'd like to see Graham used as a defensive midfielder when our full midfield is back, which best suits his strengths.

Reid and Kane are practically the same size, Kane manages to run rings around men in the VFL dunno what more he needs to do to get a proper shot it the midfield at AFL. Dow has never put two 30 disposal games together in the VFL let alone his first two.
Big difference in class between the VFL and AFL. No rush with Kane and he'll get his opportunity when the time is right. We saw how he struggled to impact against WCE and their midfield and we saw how our midfield struggled once they lost the experience of Hopper on Wednesday night. I'd hate to throw a first year kid like Kane into the fire when there is no real senior support around him.

Jack was good for us in our halcyon days.

he played his role and made our stars look good, now we are back to mediocrity jack is being exposed.

slow, poor overhead, cant kick over 45m, no left foot and injury prone. (come at me if you wanna defend him)

he's holding us back. even his once trademark tackling, pressure and harassment has deserted him and been replaced by fumbling, clumsiness and coughing the ball up.

opposition coaches know he's only going to get it 12 to 18 times a game so they hone in and exploit his deficiencies.

It's easy to look more than competent as the 6th banana. I remember long, long ago Lambert was playing really well and some journo said Gold Coast should pay him $750k. We had a couple weeks no Dusty, Cotch, Prestia and as the main man he was completely exposed and sh1t the bed. Needless to say he stayed for probably half that. As bad as we slag other teams mids like Crouch brothers, Sam Pepper Pig they're all 10x better than tubs. The 2017 GF was so long ago I'm actually wishing 40 yo Dean Polo was playing instead of Porkie.

We just need him to stay injury free, play a few really good games and a handful of good games plus a few goals would be nice and when some clubs stupid enough to pay overs for him as a FA we'll all look back on him fondly when we convert a pick 53 into a 2nd round compo pick (19-22??? Pushed out to 22-25 after F/S's and academy selections).

It's easy to look more than competent as the 6th banana. I remember long, long ago Lambert was playing really well and some journo said Gold Coast should pay him $750k. We had a couple weeks no Dusty, Cotch, Prestia and as the main man he was completely exposed and sh1t the bed. Needless to say he stayed for probably half that. As bad as we slag other teams mids like Crouch brothers, Sam Pepper Pig they're all 10x better than tubs. The 2017 GF was so long ago I'm actually wishing 40 yo Dean Polo was playing instead of Porkie.

We just need him to stay injury free, play a few really good games and a handful of good games plus a few goals would be nice and when some clubs stupid enough to pay overs for him as a FA we'll all look back on him fondly when we convert a pick 53 into a 2nd round compo pick (19-22??? Pushed out to 22-25 after F/S's and academy selections).
Really enjoy these types of posts, where in the first half it completely rubbishes a player and then in the second half sets an expectation that this rubbish list clogger will somehow net us a top end compo pick. Surely if Graham is playing good enough footy to net us a top compo pick, we'd be better off keeping him especially if we're losing a number of older guys over the next 18 months, unless people want us to go full North/Hawthorn and gut the side of all it's experience and just load up on kids and off casts

I get that but I would still like to see MacAuliffe given a real shot at that role and Graham can come in if and when needed. Would like to see us give it a try as I think Dow and MRJ are playing with more confidence. MacA must be getting very itchy feet and Sonsie will surely come in with some fire in his belly. No doubt Graham's bigger body will be helpful, but MacA if a big strong kid also, and very aggressive.Pickett is in the middle a lot too. Tagged OK last week, not sure if its perk
Pickett is in the middle a lot too. Tagged OK last week, not sure if its permanent

Really enjoy these types of posts, where in the first half it completely rubbishes a player and then in the second half sets an expectation that this rubbish list clogger will somehow net us a top end compo pick. Surely if Graham is playing good enough footy to net us a top compo pick, we'd be better off keeping him especially if we're losing a number of older guys over the next 18 months, unless people want us to go full North/Hawthorn and gut the side of all it's experience and just load up on kids and off casts

Tell me where you think his contract would fall? This is the official AFL pay Bands. (they got sick of the media calling it the secret herbs and spices) For mine top 5% Too high. Top 15% prob just misses out but maybe?. Top 30% easily sh1t it in. Clubs manipulate the contracts to ensure the compensation is acceptable. Doedee and Gresham got end of 1st round picks and they're both unwanted spuds. So instead of sh1t canning posters with actual opinions, what would you say he'd be worth. Here's the pay bands since you're probably too lazy or ill informed to actually know. Don't forget how many desperate clubs have over rated spuds over the years. And nobody at the club wants to see tubby any longer, they were spewing JHF deal went through and that stupid trigger clause screwed us last year. 100% he's gone.

Top five per cent = first-round pick
  • Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick
  • Top 30 per cent = second-round pick
  • Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick
  • Top 70 per cent = third-round pick

Therein lies the problem. I mentioned last night that Graham is a role player, who supports the stars by allowing them to be more influential offensively while he does a lot of the grunt work defensively. The problem at the moment is that our star midfielders are injured, so they're asking Graham to fill the void and be an attacking weapon, when that is not a strength and when he doesn't perform in that role the fans get frustrated and sink the boots in.

If he remains with us in 2025 and beyond, then I would like to see us play him as a defensive midfielder who can run with an opponent around the ground and can be the defensive sweeper at stoppages, that then allows the likes of Taranto Hopper Ross Dow and co to worry about winning the footy and getting it going our way. That is how he made his name early on and they've tried to make him a different type of player over the last few seasons and become more attacking and it doesn't suit his strengths.
Stop talking s**t
There is no place for him in this side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back