Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh - signed until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like MRJ is probably going to be the better Maurice Rioli ... his Dad was my favourite footballer ... and Junior has another 80 games to play before he gets to when Senior came over from Fremantle to play at Richmond ... Junior is a freak, stronger, quicker, more powerful than the old man and he ain't even grown into his body yet ... bloody put him in the centre bounces already!
Well, I doubt that very much.
In fact, I'll be my first born that he won't be.

I love MRJ and i can't wait until he fully matures . I still think you're being way too emotional with Pickett.
It's logic based ... we ain't playing finals let alone winning a premiership this year ... trial will be before next season ... if he plays a hundred and kids don't play AFL ... we have lost nothing this year ... if he doesn't play 100 and they are all jets ... epic catastrophe
Well, I doubt that very much.
In fact, I'll be my first born that he won't be.
The Ol Rumplestiltskin Clause ... I think that one comes back to bite him in the end
no no no ouat spoilers GIF

That’s a fair comment. As others have said, if you go to the game and focus solely on KMac, his worth to the side stands out.

That said, there’s no doubt the winds of change are coming. But it’s still probably a while away yet.

Gone are the days of just plonking a player in a position - especially the wing - and having them play it well straight away.

Look at how long it took Ross to get used to the position, and Caddy back in 2019. The wing is just - if not more - about positioning and holding shape as it is footy skills.

We’ve started to the see the transition. Banks has played on and off. And it seems Seth Campbell has rotated through a few times against Sydney and St Kilda.

I haven’t been able to watch much VFL, but HRS, Coulthard and possibly Clarke also may be rotating through there.

But for now KMac holds it down, does the team things and sets an example (not an example of skills obviously) until a few of the younger types are ready.
The early VFL game I caught Hugo was HBF and played well.

The science of AFL positioning is at country footy. 2nd Division ALFQ. 2nd year Coach was yelling out reminding the whole side to adjust their position slightly all the time, either attacking or defending. . Some amazing marking and kicking skills on display.

I'm a bit staggered RFC's game plan is so dependant on Kmac, and/or that complicated that no one has pushed Kmac out of the team.

Yze did look at Banks and Ross played some wing until he got moved to the middle. Until Hopper pushes Ross out of the middle,
They seem to be happy to continue with Kmac and Pickett.

The early VFL game I caught Hugo was HBF and played well.

The science of AFL positioning is at country footy. 2nd Division ALFQ. 2nd year Coach was yelling out reminding the whole side to adjust their position slightly all the time, either attacking or defending. . Some amazing marking and kicking skills on display.

I'm a bit staggered RFC's game plan is so dependant on Kmac, and/or that complicated that no one has pushed Kmac out of the team.

Yze did look at Banks and Ross played some wing until he got moved to the middle. Until Hopper pushes Ross out of the middle,
They seem to be happy to continue with Kmac and Pickett.
KMac and Pickett do the job and are reliable.

They are not our future. But until someone pushes them out, or there is a decision to remove them then they will stay.

That’s a fair comment. As others have said, if you go to the game and focus solely on KMac, his worth to the side stands out.

That said, there’s no doubt the winds of change are coming. But it’s still probably a while away yet.

Gone are the days of just plonking a player in a position - especially the wing - and having them play it well straight away.

Look at how long it took Ross to get used to the position, and Caddy back in 2019. The wing is just - if not more - about positioning and holding shape as it is footy skills.

We’ve started to the see the transition. Banks has played on and off. And it seems Seth Campbell has rotated through a few times against Sydney and St Kilda.

I haven’t been able to watch much VFL, but HRS, Coulthard and possibly Clarke also may be rotating through there.

But for now KMac holds it down, does the team things and sets an example (not an example of skills obviously) until a few of the younger types are ready.
I don't buy it. Anyone that has a decent tank can 'stretch the ground' and guard space with little to no intent in actually getting the ball. And for all the good work he does guarding space he more than undoes it when he fumbles the ball and turns it over on the rare occasion he actually touches the ball. Kamdyns role was perfect during the dominant dynasty years, just like the defensive forwards Dimma wanted that rarely kicked goals. Time to evolve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy it. Anyone that has a decent tank can 'stretch the ground' and guard space with little to no intent in actually getting the ball. And for all the good work he does guarding space he more than undoes it when he fumbles the ball and turns it over on the rare occasion he actually touches the ball. Kamdyns role was perfect during the dominant dynasty years, just like the defensive forwards Dimma wanted that rarely kicked goals. Time to evolve.

It really isn’t that simple, and it’s more than just ‘stretching the ground’ and running up and down a wing.

Considering that all modern football on both sides is the ball is about structure and zones (especially defensively); knowing where to go and when is incredibly important. Teams that can easily switch and change the angles will score remarkably easily. Plonking players with a decent tank simply because they have a decent tank isn’t going to bring any success to a modern day wingman.

Again I’d point to how long it took Jack Ross to be able to do it well; look at Caddy in 2019 who went to the VFL for a period of time to learn it, and even then you could argue never really grasped it. I haven’t read the Konrad Marshall’s books recently, but I know in multiple instances it talks about the importance of these types to team structure.

It’s no secret that KMac’s days a numbered, and that ultimately his position will be filled be an up-and-comer. But you also need to put young players in positions where they can be successful, and just throwing them to the wolves when they aren’t ready, and for a more complicated role than just ‘see ball get ball’ is not great player development.

It really isn’t that simple, and it’s more than just ‘stretching the ground’ and running up and down a wing.

Considering that all modern football on both sides is the ball is about structure and zones (especially defensively); knowing where to go and when is incredibly important. Teams that can easily switch and change the angles will score remarkably easily. Plonking players with a decent tank simply because they have a decent tank isn’t going to bring any success to a modern day wingman.

Again I’d point to how long it took Jack Ross to be able to do it well; look at Caddy in 2019 who went to the VFL for a period of time to learn it, and even then you could argue never really grasped it. I haven’t read the Konrad Marshall’s books recently, but I know in multiple instances it talks about the importance of these types to team structure.

It’s no secret that KMac’s days a numbered, and that ultimately his position will be filled be an up-and-comer. But you also need to put young players in positions where they can be successful, and just throwing them to the wolves when they aren’t ready, and for a more complicated role than just ‘see ball get ball’ is not great player development.
Did you miss how much Brad Hill tore us apart in that 3rd quarter off a wing? Whatever Kamdyns role is, it's not working anymore.

Within reason, provided an AFL footballer that looks and stinks it up as you observe them, it should be safe to drop, even if the 'best-before' date has passed. Keep an eye on the 'use-by' or 'best-before' dates on these types on your list. Don't play them if they're past their 'use-by' date, even if they appear to look ok by running lots of kilometres yet continue to stink it up.

Even this Macintosh was upgraded when some loyal fans thought it was still running ok.

1712800950579.png

Last edited:
Within reason, provided an AFL footballer that looks and stinks it up as you observe them, it should be safe to drop, even if the 'best-before' date has passed. Keep an eye on the 'use-by' or 'best-before' dates on these types on your list. Don't play them if they're past their 'use-by' date, even if they appear to look ok by running lots of kilometres yet continue to stink it up.

Even this Macintosh was upgraded when some fans thought it was still running ok.

View attachment 1955990
that's a classic, not entirely a fair comparison but its a good point.

Did you miss how much Brad Hill tore us apart in that 3rd quarter off a wing? Whatever Kamdyns role is, it's not working anymore.

What is your point exactly?

Is it that Hill and KMac were 1v1 the entire Q3? (Which they weren’t)

Or that Hill is a better wing than KMac? (Which despite being true, is totally beside my original point).

Or is it that we need to totally reinvent the wing role? (Which would take time to put player in a position to succeed and may already be in the pipeline anyway).

What is your point exactly?

Is it that Hill and KMac were 1v1 the entire Q3? (Which they weren’t)

Or that Hill is a better wing than KMac? (Which despite being true, is totally beside my original point).

Or is it that we need to totally reinvent the wing role? (Which would take time to put player in a position to succeed and may already be in the pipeline anyway).
My point is that whatever role Kmac is being asked to play isn't working. Brad Hill didn't guard space, he went and got the ******* ball and tore us up when the game was in the balance. How can we say McIntosh plays the thankless, defensive wing role when his direct opponent is one of the best players on the ground? Even the no namer on the other wing had a better game.

We don't need to totally reinvent the wing role, just play a regulation winger who can kick the ball. Excusing poor performance after poor performance under the guise of being a 'defensive winger' has become tiring.

Dan Rioli can run all day like Brad Hill, he's a better mark, he's quicker, he's a better kick, he's younger, he's better defensively. Why on earth he's never played there I don't know.

My point is that whatever role Kmac is being asked to play isn't working. Brad Hill didn't guard space, he went and got the ******* ball and tore us up when the game was in the balance. How can we say McIntosh plays the thankless, defensive wing role when his direct opponent is one of the best players on the ground? Even the no namer on the other wing had a better game.

We don't need to totally reinvent the wing role, just play a regulation winger who can kick the ball. Excusing poor performance after poor performance under the guise of being a 'defensive winger' has become tiring.

Dan Rioli can run all day like Brad Hill, he's a better mark, he's quicker, he's a better kick, he's younger, he's better defensively. Why on earth he's never played there I don't know.

First of all, Hill and KMac weren’t going 1v1 so that’s a moot point. At the risk of sounding obvious, a defensive wing doesn’t mean you’re tagging the opposition wing and attempting to nullify them. It means you’re ensuring your structure to make it hard for switches and changing the angles.

Teams who don’t defend structurally get torn a new one. Look at Essendon as the example. Been highlighted recently by almost every media outlet for being basically the easiest team not named West Coast and North Melbourne to score against. You watch the highlights of oppositions scores v Essendon and you see how poor they are at holding defensive structures; it’s why they’re so easy to score against.

Using KMac’s defensive winger status as a cover for poor performance (which I’m not by the way) is just as tiring as those who want to throw the importance of defensive structure to success out the window.

Lastly, you want to play ‘regulation wingers’? Fine, who are they? This is my entire point. We don’t have any with exception to maybe Banks. They’re slowly developing (Campbell got rotations against Sydney and Saints) and will ultimately replace KMac and glory be that day; but the best thing for those players’ development can’t be just throw them in the deep end and hope they swim. Give them time to develop then unleash them as a replacement when they’ve got the confidence to play that position. We all seem to agree of the importance of the game between the ears, but seem to disregarded equally as easy.

You throw up Dan Rioli as someone who can play wing; but unless we have a different view of how he’s tracking as a HBF, you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. All others are developing players who we should seek to optimize their development; and not just plonk them on a wing to sink or swim.

Again, KMac is clearly on the way out. Let’s just make sure he’s replacement is fully ready to take his spot.

First of all, Hill and KMac weren’t going 1v1 so that’s a moot point. At the risk of sounding obvious, a defensive wing doesn’t mean you’re tagging the opposition wing and attempting to nullify them. It means you’re ensuring your structure to make it hard for switches and changing the angles.

Teams who don’t defend structurally get torn a new one. Look at Essendon as the example. Been highlighted recently by almost every media outlet for being basically the easiest team not named West Coast and North Melbourne to score against. You watch the highlights of oppositions scores v Essendon and you see how poor they are at holding defensive structures; it’s why they’re so easy to score against.

Using KMac’s defensive winger status as a cover for poor performance (which I’m not by the way) is just as tiring as those who want to throw the importance of defensive structure to success out the window.

Lastly, you want to play ‘regulation wingers’? Fine, who are they? This is my entire point. We don’t have any with exception to maybe Banks. They’re slowly developing (Campbell got rotations against Sydney and Saints) and will ultimately replace KMac and glory be that day; but the best thing for those players’ development can’t be just throw them in the deep end and hope they swim. Give them time to develop then unleash them as a replacement when they’ve got the confidence to play that position. We all seem to agree of the importance of the game between the ears, but seem to disregarded equally as easy.

You throw up Dan Rioli as someone who can play wing; but unless we have a different view of how he’s tracking as a HBF, you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. All others are developing players who we should seek to optimize their development; and not just plonk them on a wing to sink or swim.

Again, KMac is clearly on the way out. Let’s just make sure he’s replacement is fully ready to take his spot.

Spot on. I desperately want Banks to replace KMac. I was hoping he'd come on faster and be ready. But until the young guys can do it week in week out and hold their own against AFL players we'll be hurting ourselves. We need to be playing them to learn. But KMac out, young guy in won't work - straight away anyway.

2 years we'll have a new look midfield all round. We're transitioning now.

No it's not. In that 3rd qtr Saints transitioned the ball with ease and we gave up 120 marks, comfortably the most of any team in the round, even on that postage stamp of a ground. I'd hate to think what would've happened on Etihad or the G.

Well while we're s**t we might as well fast track the development of a youngster then, shouldn't we? It's not like McIntosh (or Pickett) is winning us games.

Putting Rioli on a wing would be a net gain IMO. Half back is the easiest position to play on the ground. We have Brown, Trezise, Banks and Ralphsmith who could slot into half back. Even a Coulthard or Clarke have the skillset. Smith if he keeps building on his form so far this season would be a viable option soon enough.

Personally, now that McAuliffe and Sonsie are in the side, I'd be moving Baker back to half back and moving Dan onto a wing (or even Short if Dan must stay at half back). That's a massive improvement on the wing, and nothing lost off half back, games into the kids. Net gain.

Mcintosh can be criticised for a lot but he had nothing do with Brad Hill in the 3rd quarter.

I just went and watched the 3rd quarter again and Hill played the entire quarter in the forward line.

He literally didn’t start on the wing for 1 centre bounce, Mcintosh was on Sharman for most of the quarter.

Hill got a heap of the ball that quarter because they had so many inside 50’s and he basically ran around by himself, our defenders allowed him a heap of space.

The only time I saw Mcintosh opposed to Hill was when Hill and a few Saints players were all by themselves in the forward line and Mcintosh had to run away from Sharman to try and compete against them.

Some posters on here need to go through the game day thread to read the damning comments made towards KMac during the game . There were posters that i'd never ever heard from them criticising a Tiger that were scathing on him. Two massive errors in the second and the one in the last few minutes of the game were horrible and if he gets a game then the only conclusion that can be made is that we are tanking. We don't need to be carrying guys like him anymore bc they have no future with us and are basically costing development time for any kid. As posters have stated you're better off developing someone even though they may not be as advanced as KMac at running a half marathon with multiple turnovers. There is no point having defensive pressure when you have poor diposal efficiency as well as no offensive traits. He's a massive liability and the reason why he's in the bottom ten AFL players to have played every game this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back