Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh - signed until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

For those using defensive structure and positioning as the reason for keeping Kmac in, tell me how he impacts the game??

Because there is no point running to all the right spots, playing the correct defensive role, completing the team 'structure' if you still don't impact the game.

There are plenty of examples this year alone, let alone last year, where even when Kmac gets to the right spot (to supposedly stop the oppoistion) that he fails to impact the contest and the oppostion walk straight through a tackle (if he even lays a glove on them in the first place) or where even in the right sport, the oppostion go straight past him.

Then on the rare occassions these days when he does get it, he turns it over, usually catching our back 6 now out of position having to deal with a repeat I50 for the opposition.

He KILLS US.

I am happy to agree his hard running is still there, I'm even happy to agree he may run to the right spots more than then kids waiting for his position.

But even when he does those things well (the main reasons he's supposedly in the team) he has ZERO IMPACT ON THE CONTEST, HIS OPPONENT OR THE OPPOSITIONS ABILITY TO TRANSITION THE BALL.

Even if a kid isn't ready, the potential upside of their development, and given that to them early clearly outweighs the benefit of playing KMac. Ina different/stronger/contending team, you may make an argument the other way, but for where we are now... you can't justify keeping in the team. Even is he's the "Best Bloke" on the list

For those using defensive structure and positioning as the reason for keeping Kmac in, tell me how he impacts the game??

Because there is no point running to all the right spots, playing the correct defensive role, completing the team 'structure' if you still don't impact the game.

There are plenty of examples this year alone, let alone last year, where even when Kmac gets to the right spot (to supposedly stop the oppoistion) that he fails to impact the contest and the oppostion walk straight through a tackle (if he even lays a glove on them in the first place) or where even in the right sport, the oppostion go straight past him.

Then on the rare occassions these days when he does get it, he turns it over, usually catching our back 6 now out of position having to deal with a repeat I50 for the opposition.

He KILLS US.

I am happy to agree his hard running is still there, I'm even happy to agree he may run to the right spots more than then kids waiting for his position.

But even when he does those things well (the main reasons he's supposedly in the team) he has ZERO IMPACT ON THE CONTEST, HIS OPPONENT OR THE OPPOSITIONS ABILITY TO TRANSITION THE BALL.

Even if a kid isn't ready, the potential upside of their development, and given that to them early clearly outweighs the benefit of playing KMac. Ina different/stronger/contending team, you may make an argument the other way, but for where we are now... you can't justify keeping in the team. Even is he's the "Best Bloke" on the list
Episode 7 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

No it's not. In that 3rd qtr Saints transitioned the ball with ease and we gave up 120 marks, comfortably the most of any team in the round, even on that postage stamp of a ground. I'd hate to think what would've happened on Etihad or the G.

Well while we're s**t we might as well fast track the development of a youngster then, shouldn't we? It's not like McIntosh (or Pickett) is winning us games.

Putting Rioli on a wing would be a net gain IMO. Half back is the easiest position to play on the ground. We have Brown, Trezise, Banks and Ralphsmith who could slot into half back. Even a Coulthard or Clarke have the skillset. Smith if he keeps building on his form so far this season would be a viable option soon enough.

Personally, now that McAuliffe and Sonsie are in the side, I'd be moving Baker back to half back and moving Dan onto a wing (or even Short if Dan must stay at half back). That's a massive improvement on the wing, and nothing lost off half back, games into the kids. Net gain.

So while we are crap let’s get crappier on the hope our players develop under those conditions?
It’s feasible but I don’t if it’s how teams like to go nowadays. Richmond can survive 37 of crappiness but it wasn’t fun.

So while we are crap let’s get crappier on the hope our players develop under those conditions?
It’s feasible but I don’t if it’s how teams like to go nowadays. Richmond can survive 37 of crappiness but it wasn’t fun.
Nah. While we might lose a little in defensive patterns, we'd gain plenty in offence amd development.

CMON BT that's not why we were crap it was bc we had no money and we couldn't get decent guys to run the joint and we paid peanuts and got monkeys in admin, FD and players. There is no excuse now as we have the money. Playing KMAC is old RFC amateurish 90's stuff where we played below average or old done footballers. The only difference was we were broke then.

CMON BT that's not why we were crap it was bc we had no money and we couldn't get decent guys to run the joint and we paid peanuts and got monkeys in admin, FD and players. There is no excuse now as we have the money. Playing KMAC is old RFC amateurish 90's stuff where we played below average or old done footballers. The only difference was we were broke then.

I’m still waiting for the wonders that were going to happen when we got rid of that Castanga guy.

Maybe if we all try just hard we can get KMac to lose his love for the game.
I don’t think Kmac would be reading BF, but if you’re referring to players being potted on social media then I agree nobody deserves that, it’s a low act, that unfortunately happens a bit.

Surely it’s fair enough for fans on here to have an opinion on players though all you’re really doing is critiquing a performance. The rules are in place for abuse.

fwiw I don’t agree on a lot of the criticism of Kmac. I think he’s been a solid contributor for a long time, that plays to coaches instructions.

Last edited:
It really isn’t that simple, and it’s more than just ‘stretching the ground’ and running up and down a wing.

Considering that all modern football on both sides is the ball is about structure and zones (especially defensively); knowing where to go and when is incredibly important. Teams that can easily switch and change the angles will score remarkably easily. Plonking players with a decent tank simply because they have a decent tank isn’t going to bring any success to a modern day wingman.

Again I’d point to how long it took Jack Ross to be able to do it well; look at Caddy in 2019 who went to the VFL for a period of time to learn it, and even then you could argue never really grasped it. I haven’t read the Konrad Marshall’s books recently, but I know in multiple instances it talks about the importance of these types to team structure.

It’s no secret that KMac’s days a numbered, and that ultimately his position will be filled be an up-and-comer. But you also need to put young players in positions where they can be successful, and just throwing them to the wolves when they aren’t ready, and for a more complicated role than just ‘see ball get ball’ is not great player development.
You make it sound like rocket science. It’s not that hard any player with footy nous knows these structures instinctively not to mention all the structures they run at training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you miss how much Brad Hill tore us apart in that 3rd quarter off a wing? Whatever Kamdyns role is, it's not working anymore.

Teams have been slicing through us like butter out of defence for 3-years now. Kamdyn ain’t helping stifle opposition ball movement.

Let’s lock these things in for Sunday:

1. Macca halts our ball movement by going back over his mark .. he takes 5 seconds… then kicks 50m and high to a contest. He will do this multiple times.

2. Macca does 1-2 things that cost us goals.

3. Macca doesn’t kick a goal and doesn’t help set any up.

4. Macca turns the ball over multiple times through poor disposal and poor decision making.

5. Macca will do 1 good thing whether it be a tackle, a chase or a spoil …. This will keep him in the team for the following game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Teams have been slicing through us like butter out of defence for 3-years now. Kamdyn ain’t helping stifle opposition ball movement.

Let’s lock these things in for Sunday:

1. Macca halts our ball movement by going back over his mark .. he takes 5 seconds… then kicks 50m and high to a contest. He will do this multiple times.

2. Macca does 1-2 things that cost us goals.

3. Macca doesn’t kick a goal and doesn’t help set any up.

4. Macca turns the ball over multiple times through poor disposal and poor decision making.

5. Macca will do 1 good thing whether it be a tackle, a chase or a spoil …. This will keep him in the team for the following game.

3 idiot coaches in a row. Nevermind.

George had lost his love for the game and his drive, he needed to be replaced, and then there was the kicking issues that went from bad to diabolical ( kicking over his shoulder from set shots).
George could run and mark, we should've reinvented him as a winger or something. If he didn't get injured & retire he would've been back in the horrible small fwd position.

Kmac seems to be in the back half a lot, maybe a new role for him anyhow

Should leave the Doofus in Perth. Ship his belongings to him. I know we're decimated with injuries but FFS's time to move on from Mr Sheen

We've been saying this for about 20-30 games now. He's a liability, has been on the decline since his peak in the Dimma system passed, he's never actually been good at football, just effort and structure and hard running.

Now that the system has fallen apart his complete lack of talent is exposed.

He was always on the fringe and missed the 19 GF. He was great role player when we had the guns around him , but he was always going to dwindle away to a spud once they retired. His DE was always rubbish, but he played that defensive role whilst Lambert, Cotchin , Martin and Edward’s strutted their stuff.

Just 3 touches (1 effective) after the first 10 minutes.

Enough is enough.

People have been coming to the defence of Macca all season. And I’m sure they felt vindicated 5-minutes in when he played his best football of the season. Alas … he was stuck on 3 possessions for about an hour. A friggin hour! He ended with 6 disposals, and 3 clangers.

People talk about his running power and defensive positioning… it’s an absolute myth.

When the team is selected post the bye, he simply has to be out of it. Play Hugo for 10 games in a row .. give the kid a chance to fail.. if he fails we delist, no problem. But maybe he builds confidence and actually shows something - like MRJ and Mansell have at times the last few games. Or play Banks. Bring Grimes in and put D Rioli on a wing.

And it’s not about selection integrity. If it was, Macca could not possibly be selected. I had enough 25 games ago of both Macca and Pickett .. everyone else very slow to the party.

I’ve asked the question before and I’ll ask it again … how can anyone play worse than Macca has the first 6 games of this season? It is not possible.

The problem Yze has is who comes in for players like McIntosh & Pickett we have so many injury's.

That's why I wanted McIntosh & Pickett one of them or both of them dropped earlier.

People have been coming to the defence of Macca all season. And I’m sure they felt vindicated 5-minutes in when he played his best football of the season. Alas … he was stuck on 3 possessions for about an hour. A friggin hour! He ended with 6 disposals, and 3 clangers.

People talk about his running power and defensive positioning… it’s an absolute myth.

When the team is selected post the bye, he simply has to be out of it. Play Hugo for 10 games in a row .. give the kid a chance to fail.. if he fails we delist, no problem. But maybe he builds confidence and actually shows something - like MRJ and Mansell have at times the last few games. Or play Banks. Bring Grimes in and put D Rioli on a wing.

And it’s not about selection integrity. If it was, Macca could not possibly be selected. I had enough 25 games ago of both Macca and Pickett .. everyone else very slow to the party.

I’ve asked the question before and I’ll ask it again … how can anyone play worse than Macca has the first 6 games of this season? It is not possible.

Pickett, Kmac, HRS and Grimes have no future at the RFC and should be told goodbye at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back