AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

he's been just going, would love to see him step up on the big stage to show himself as an AFL star on the rise
It would be a game changer for the club if we end up with even one elite small forward out of the Daveys and Tex Wanganeen.

I am enjoying Alwyn's cleanliness with the ball and his chase down tackles / pressure. Would only have to be that little bit more involved to go from ok to very good.

But really I reckon next year will be when we see. I'd be happy with glimpses this year. Hopefully today!

It would be a game changer for the club if we end up with even one elite small forward out of the Daveys and Tex Wanganeen.

I am enjoying Alwyn's cleanliness with the ball and his chase down tackles / pressure. Would only have to be that little bit more involved to go from ok to very good.

But really I reckon next year will be when we see. I'd be happy with glimpses this year. Hopefully today!
just needs the confidence that he can play at the level. To often he takes the say option, doesn't use his pace etc.

After the doggies game I was thinking "intent and pressure was good but if only he would use the shoulders and stick a few tackles", he definitely did that against the crows game.
Hopefully the next step is cleaning up kicks and getting a few more clean ground ball possessions

I’m not sure what he’s providing. Not even sure there’s potential. He isn’t putting on a lot of pressure, can’t stick a tackle and shirks the contest more than any Essendon player I can think of. And he’s not kicking goals.
He applies pressure, will give him that. He can rundown tackle from behind well. If the player has any inkling he is there, they will shrug the tackle. Very soft, as shown today. It doesn’t help that we have zero AFL quality small forwards, unless you count Gresham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does a lot of things right but he just needs to work on his intensity. So often he goes for the ball at like 75% whereas other smalls in the comp are going for it at 100%. I put it down to age/size/experience at this stage, but definitely something he can work on.

Not convinced he's going to make it. Hope he does. Just doesn't seem as powerful as his dad. Strength I get can come with age. Speed? Can't really squeeze more out of him. It's what set his father apart. So if he hasn't got speed what's he adding? His possessions don't cut the opposition up. And forward pressure? The intent is there but if that's your greatest asset we need to find someone else

Alwyn Jr needs to have the same chat with his dad that Jobe had with Tim...

Do you want it or not?
Mate, that's not the issue. The issue is that he's 5-10 kegs too light.

Back