AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Guelfi when fit iver Davey at this stage I reckon.

Davey is still too light and maybe a bit timid at times as a result.

Lots to work with but clearly a fair way off it.
Problem is guelfi (and menzie) are slow. We really dont have the ideal small fwd on our list: one who has the speed of davey but the intensity in contact of a guelfi and goal nous of gresham.

They'll both be good.

People calling out barely 20yos who are probably high 60s for weight for going soft in the contest when their role isn't to be in the coal face...
Remind me how old is Tsatas? My pot calling senses are tingling.
Happy Oh Boy GIF

The difference being Tsatas supposed role is going to be in the coal face. And I've seen him try to run away from a player with the ball to avoid having to try to tackle.
Yep probably why he got dropped and so should Alwyn before Hind really. I think there is upside to all those young players but I was seriously pissed off with Alwyn’s effort today. 0 tackles. You suggest that Hind should be first dropped but Al belongs with Tsatas atm until he improves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference being Tsatas supposed role is going to be in the coal face. And I've seen him try to run away from a player with the ball to avoid having to try to tackle.
Isnthat any worse than when we saw Alwyn drop his eyes off the ball and put one hand up to mark it towards the end of the 2nd quarter because he heard footsteps yesterday?

Instead of an uncontested mark it was a turnover goal directly to Collingwood.

I think you’ve upset Hank.
I know but for me there where a few contests he did not want to be involved in that he should have . I flamed Cox for it and Tsatas so I have to stay consistent . I thought he dogged a few. My view of course. :cool:

Isnthat any worse than when we saw Alwyn drop his eyes off the ball and put one hand up to mark it towards the end of the 2nd quarter because he heard footsteps yesterday?

Instead of an uncontested mark it was a turnover goal directly to Collingwood.
This probably cost us a goal at a crucial time too.

Needs to watch a tape of last nights game between GWS & Brisbane and have a look at what a competitor looks like no matter of size or weight.

The GWS yougsters looked like they should be riding at Flemington, but geez they have no fear and throw themselves into tackles and use their PACE to make things happen.

I find watching ADJ it's like he's playing tag in the schoolyard, with no intent at all... just run along the outskirts get a touch here and there and he's happy with that.

He's played heavily managed minutes all season, even in his single VFL appearance.

It's a bit of a tough one to know how to manage. In reality he is not going to learn much of what he needs playing VFL. It's the patterns of defensive movement that are the most important part of what he can bring to the AFL team (and what are desperately needed given that we struggle with forward pressure). But I'd like for him to play 90% game time a few times at the lower level to build his match conditioning.

I'll give him a pass for yesterday. Gresham was woeful and it created a perfect storm of Collingwood breaking from our F50 with real speed. I can appreciate how difficult it would be to know what to do in that scenario. That indecision makes you look slow and second guess application which will end up making you look soft. I've not noticed contested application previously to be an issue. We have West Coast next week on an 8 day break. I think I give him that game and, if he struggles, send him back to the VFL until the bye.

Pressure is fine, but he can’t stay in the team for his pressure alone. Needs to find more of the ball, as he often looks like making something happen when he has it

Nick Kommer MK2 at the moment. Not sure he will be able to stay in the team when we get Guelfi and Perk back.

I've heard on more than one occasion that Jayden was always thought to be the better prospect - can anyone confirm?

It's definitely been a view held by some.

The more I see, the more it's that they're different. Alwyn Jr is more like his uncle, more of a flanker in the way that Fantasia is/was. He's probably at his best playing more as the pseudo mid/wing form half forward when he's working through midfield traffic, running with the ball and setting up attacking forays and then back toward goal. It's not that he can't play as a small forward, it's more what he is suited to. It's probably a style of play of a few of the Richmond smalls as well but I don't want to say Bolton and Davey is more classy than the others.

Jayden is more like the old man and more of an explosive, old fashioned forward pocket. He hasn't shown a lot of it but he's more of your manic pressure player. It looks to me that Tex is somewhat of a midpoint between the 2.

Last edited:
Back